If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Dark Souls: Siegfried stops writing a journal like some bitchy teenager, the game is discussed.

Comments

• Has friends besides tanks now

I think I'll try to figure my build out blind this time, and therefore my items (I know that DWGR is really good, though), but I'm essentially thinking, Strength build, no magic.

• I know that DWGR is really good, though

This is true, but actually since the patch a few months ago (well, when the PC version was released) it got nerfed quite a bit.  It's still really good, but it at least doesn't completely outclass every single other item in the game.

• edited 2012-12-18 22:59:17
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

Alrighty then. Here's some decent hints for a strength build:

• Minimum dexterity? 0. Good dexterity? 10. Maximum applicable dexterity? 18. I'll let you figure it out from there. 

• Endurance is your friend. So much. This applies to all builds, but since strength weapons tend to take up a lot of stamina, it's even more important. 

• Taking your strength beyond 27 depends on how much you like one-handing as opposing to two-handing your weapons. That said, due to the two-handing rule, strength builds "max out" more quickly than others either way, giving you a bit more freedom. 

• There's a zweihander in the graveyard at Firelink Shrine. All factors taken into consideration, it's probably one of the best weapons in the game. 

As for rings, I find the classic Wolf/Havel combination to be my favourite. It allows one to equip a decent amount of good gear while staying under 25% equip burden, plus you can get both of those rings really early in the game. 

• edited 2012-12-18 23:08:26
    Has friends besides tanks now

Hmm. Okay. Quick question: I can't remember, but do Black Knights respawn? Because they're still apparently a huge pain in the ass (or at least, the one on the spiral staircase before the Undead Burg was).

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

No. Except some. But they're much later. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I prefer Havel/Favor and Protection.

Cool. Just using them as a gauge for my current power level. Beat the staircase one, so after I beat the other one, closer to the beginning of the whole area, I'll probably pick on some skeletons/get the cool items, then maybe try Darkroot Garden again, while coming to terms with those . . . what are they, Elite Knights? I'm guessing that because I've picked up the Elite Knight set that was lying there for me.

• You're probably thinking of stone guardians.  The Elite Knight set comes from the corpse of a knight who presumably died there.  It's the same armor that Oscar (the knight who rescues you at the start of the game) wears.

• edited 2012-12-18 23:24:00

Hmm. Okay. Yeah, those things.

Beat both of those Black Knights that used to plague me, so I guess it's off to the graveyard.

EDIT: Bah, barely got four hits in on Lautrec before he fell to his death this time.

Quit and reload. Lautrec's drops will be where he was sitting at Firelink. 

• edited 2012-12-18 23:38:40

Oh, I know. I was just disappointed because I wanted him to put up more of a fight. >:c

Anyway, I'm not sure I'm liking the Zweihander. The Bastard Sword is already slow enough.

+5 Bastard Sword, +2 Gargoyle Helm, Heater Shield, Ring of Favor and Protection, and the rest of my armor is Elite Knight stuff. Feels pretty good. Don't remember what level I was during my Spear build, but 27 at the moment. OFF TO DARKROOT GARDEN!

The advantage of the zweihander is that it's actually pretty fast for the poise damage it deals, plus it has great length. So that means you can stagger enemies really easily from a distance and use those factors to defend you rather than a shield. It lends itself really well to an aggressive form of play and is one of the most efficient weapons in the game. A lot of people tend to like its brother, the greatsword (like, not the weapon class, but the weapon. Outside of that weapons class. o u drk suls) better, but the zweihander's just a barrel of laughs and evisceration. 

• edited 2012-12-18 23:53:12

Well, the stone guardians were actually pretty easy, but the Moonlight Butterfly fucked me up real bad. There goes 5857 souls and 3 Humanity, or something. I guess I still have 8 more Humanity, but currently no way to fight that thing efficiently, as far as I know, since I never got a chance to damage it. Still wondering where to go next. What about the area under the tower where I saw Lautrec? Hmm . . .

Go to the stairs under the Moonlight Butterfly and make sure you're in human form. Search the nooks and crannies. 

• edited 2012-12-18 23:56:15

Hmm. I'll try that, certainly. What's the significance of human form? Or is that a surprise?

• edited 2012-12-19 00:09:04

So, was it just the Phantom I was looking for? This should certainly be doable then. Just as soon as I can make it to the Butterfly with more than one Flask on hand. >_>

• Presumably, since that's the only thing that's affected by being in human form.

But summoning phantoms is cheating, so don't do it.

If you can survive the Butterfly's spells for a while, it eventually sits on the bridge and you can hit it with things. However, I'd advise you to fuck that and just summon Beatrice (as you have) because she shoots the boss with lasers. And for really high damage. 

Yeah, that would have been impossible without Beatrice. Thanks, Beatrice!

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Butterfly is kind of a lame boss.

• edited 2012-12-19 00:33:25

Definitely.

So, if I were to want to upgrade multiple items to +5 or thereabouts, it's hypothetically no big deal, right? (Considering the zweihander, for the reasons Alex listed, and can upgrade it twice at the moment)

It really depends. There are some great sources of titanite and large shards of titanite later on and it's not out of the question to get multiple weapons to +10. On the other hand, upgrading shields is awesome and you should do it, because it makes a significant difference to the stamina damage you take when blocking. 

So it's your call, really. Depending on drops, though, upgrading multiple weapons might have you titanite grinding at some point (although I almost always do this in Blighttown anyway so I have a +10 weapon for use against the boss). 

My priorities usually go like this:

• My primary weapon.

• My primary shield.

• A secondary weapon.

• Armour.

• Additional upgradable gear.

• edited 2012-12-19 00:45:02

^^ Yeah, there's no reason not to upgrade multiple weapons to +5, since it's very cheap to do so.  Though, once you find a weapon you like, you should really be upgrading past +5 soon.  You don't necessarily have to grind to get it to +10, since you'll find plenty of large titanite incidentally as long as you explore enough, but... yeah.

• edited 2012-12-21 22:32:05

Hmm. Can't upgrade my shield, apparently (and dunno if I want to wait for a better one to come around, since I beat Havel and can therefore hold a bigger shield now), and I got to the Depths after I think one or two-shotting the Capra Demon (with a falling attack, granted), so are enemies going to be dropping Large Titanite soon?

• Yeah, you get Large Titanite Shards starting in the Depths.  In fact, if you can one- or two-shot slimes then it's one of the better places to grind for them.  And if you do that then it'll make Blighttown a lot easier, probably, though really you don't need to have your weapon up to +10 until like... Anor Londo, and by then you'll probably have enough titanite just from exploring.

• edited 2012-12-21 23:54:10

. . . So THAT's what curses do. Damn. (fell into two trap holes in a row; I can one-shot basilisks, but god forbid I face more than one at a time)

• I just got this for the PC so can I get some newbie tips. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
  • Don't start with the Master Key or you'll miss out on content.

Don't increase Resistance ever.

Strength and Dexterity both do basically the same thing, so which one you increase should depend on what sort of weapon you want to use (make sure to actually check how your weapons scale with your attributes and what the requirements are for the weapons you like, and decide what attributes to focus on based on that).

Take time to actually explore every area you visit.  Eventually, you'll find that it's pretty easy to just run past every enemy to get to the bosses, but you'll miss out on a lot of useful stuff that way (and really, it just won't be much fun).

Endurance is the most important stat, but think carefully before taking it above 40. Or really, think carefully before taking anything above 40, since that's where diminishing returns kick in.