If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Dark Souls: Siegfried stops writing a journal like some bitchy teenager, the game is discussed.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Started the Catacombs. Made it to the second bonfire, but died twice along the way.

The first time was to skeletons after killing that one necromancer that runs away from you (I decided to just say "screw it" and go kill him even if I'd die immediately after instead of luring each skeleton off of a ledge as I usually do) and the second I woke up three skeletons (with their necromancer alive) when only trying to wake up one.

That's seven total so far. Skeletons in the catacombs have an equal kill count to bosses. I can't say I'm overly surprised.

Anyway, I figured out that the breathing thing only happens when human. Makes sense.

• edited 2012-08-27 01:07:51
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Beat Pinwheel easily, though I got killed by one of those stupid Skeleton Wheels.

Then I went to the Depths and farmed slimes for a bit. And just now, I apparently got invaded. I say "apparently" because I didn't see the invasion notice, I just went back to the bonfire and it was out. I looked around a bit and couldn't find my opponent, so I used a Black Separation Crystal and the bonfire lit up again. This was the first time I've been invaded (other than by NPCS) on PC. WTF?

Edit because multiposting again and I shouldn't do that:

>Spend awhile in Blighttown getting Large Titanite Shards
    >Decide to take detour to grab Firekeeper soul on the way back to Firelink
    >Get killed by dart-shooters
    >Fall off the elevator trying to recover souls
    >Get soul, die to garbage people on the way back

I should probably take a break. Current deathcount: 11 

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

As far as I know, Darkwraith don't alert when they invade.

Huh. I guess I just assumed because NPC invaders do that.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^ I think that's only when they use the Red Eye Orb, which is only available (and I think only usable) when one is part of the Darkwraith covenant. Cracked Red Eye Orbs always notify a host, if I'm correct. As do Darkmoon and Forest covenant invasions. 

Speaking of which, I think the Darkmoon covenant is preferable for invasions given that you get the unlimited invasion item for them just by joining up, plus the theme is super-duper cool and there's some perks in there for faith-based characters. 

• Except that invading as a Darkmoon never actually works.

Or so they say.  I haven't ever tried.

That said, Darkmoon Blade is still the best weapon buff.

It works often enough for me. Not as much as I'd like, but I get pretty consistent PvP mileage out of it. Plus, pretty much everyone has sinned during their time in Dark Souls, so it really only prevents you from fighting completely new players. 

Also, Darkmoon Blade + Power Within = lol. 

• Has friends besides tanks now

>ghosts

Oh, yeah, I should probably upgrade my shield if I want to fight these guys. 

• edited 2012-08-27 22:31:10

Not really. You just need a transient curse and a decent attack and they drop like flies.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Oh, hey, I got some Transient Curses while I was there. . . . I'll figure out how they work later. College is messing up my internal clock; I feel like going to bed, but it's only 10:30.

• I'll figure out how they work later

You use them, like any other item.  They last ten minutes or so.  They let you hit ghosts.

Also, the ghosts drop tons of them, so you shouldn't ever run out.

You can also hurt ghosts while you're cursed, or by using the Jagged Ghost Blade or the regular Ghost Blade, but there's absolutely no reason to do that.

there's absolutely no reason to do that.

In theory, it's so you can get to that one guy for a curse cure, but you can actually just buy one from the pardoner, so...yeah, no reason.

Why is it the best one?

• edited 2012-08-27 22:42:25

Because being cursed halves your HP and the swords ghosts drop kinda suck.

Does the Cursed Greatsword of Artorias work? I thought it did.

• edited 2012-08-27 22:45:46
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

Or the Cursed Greatsword of Artorias, if your stats are spread out enough. I don't recommend that, though. Artorias' sword (in either form) is only really a good weapon for characters who have stat points to spare, which is only really in the level 150+ range, and therefore most likely within some instance of NG+. Although it has pretty massive damage potential, despite being a split-damage weapon, so it could very likely be a godsend for high level characters struggling with NG+. 

In any case, the ghosts can just as easily be greedy with their Transient Curses, so you should make sure to use them wisely. There's a largish building with a hallway skirting a central chamber, within which is a fireplace with a ladder. Up that ladder is an NPC who sells Transient Curses for 1000 souls a pop, which is very reasonable. You can easily make it to the NPC using only a single Transient Curse, and this is probably the most reliable way to ensure that you're well-stocked. Also, it helps one hell of a lot to have a weapon that can destroy the ghosts in a single hit, since they can (and will) swarm you, often through walls. Clearing them out quickly is important. 

EDIT: Slightly ninja'd by ClockworkINUH, heavily ninja'd otherwise. 

I was talking about the Darkmoon Blade but I lost track of time and posted late.

Darkmoon Blade is the best buff because it contributes the most damage. When you're ranked up in the Darkmoon covenant, it ends up providing more than double the damage of your talisman's Magical Adjustment value. If you have 50 faith and a Darkmoon talisman (the latter of which is a certainty if you're ranked up), that's almost 500 extra damage. At minimum stats, the claymore deals 305 damage at +15, so you're looking at almost 800 damage with the Darkmoon Blade miracle, which exceeds a fully upgraded Greatsword of Artorias with 50 faith, 50 intelligence, 40 strength and 40 dexterity. 

You can easily have a build with one attunement slot for Darkmoon Blade, 50 faith and high enough stats to wield an especially high damage mundane weapon or get some more juice out of a lighter weapon. It's particularly devastating when used on a weapon that stunlocks effectively, such as a greatsword, large axe or halberd (although not the default halberd, mind). 

• edited 2012-08-27 22:53:51

Darkmoon Blade adds more damage than all the other weapon buffs do.  At 50 Int/50 Fth, Darkmoon Blade adds 474 damage, compared to Crystal Magic Weapon's 411 or Sunlight Blade's 406.  Sunlight Blade adds lightning damage rather than magic damage, which would normally be an advantage (since it can't be countered by Great Magic Barrier, and most characters will have more magic defense than lightning defense), but because of the large difference in damage, it still ends up with Darkmoon Blade being better (mostly because people don't use Great Magic Barrier very often.  If they did, Sunlight Blade would probably be better).

And Alex somehow posted faster than me despite posting a lot more. :/

• Although it has pretty massive damage potential, despite being a split-damage weapon, so it could very likely be a godsend for high level characters struggling with NG+. 

The cursed version deals entirely physical damage.

Alex somehow posted faster than me despite posting a lot more

He has a lot of practice with longposts.

• Also, I had to look up the numbers for all three main weapon buffs, while Alex didn't.

So I guess that counts for something.

That would also do it.

The cursed version deals entirely physical damage.

It's something like 550ish physical against 720ish split. With that big a difference, I'm reasonably sure the non-cursed version is going to be dealing more damage against most enemies in both PvP and PvE. 

Beat Quelaag. I must have been just having an off day last time, because this time I didn't get hit at all.

Anyway, now at Chaos Servant +1. I guess I'll kill Ceaseless Discharge, then head to Sen's Fortress.

• edited 2012-08-27 23:28:00

I guess I'll kill Ceaseless Discharge

Not going to max out vitality and use healing over time miracles and flash sweat so you can ninja flip across the lava to get to the next part of the Demon Ruins without dying from lava damage?

At least, I think that should be possible... >.>

Yeah, that is possible, but I don't think it lets you into Izalith if you do that?

Anyway, Discharge ceased. It hit me for all but one pixel of my health while I was running to the entrance. Very glad I didn't just assume I was dead. That's happened to me before during other fights.

Died again. Not entirely sure what happened. Can you get hit by your own Pyromancy?

On a different note, I think I might know how much extra damage two-handing deals. I haven't tested it extensively, but I believe it first applies the damage bonus for the additional strength and then multiplies damage by 1.5. No idea whether that applies to non-physical damage. Noticed this when comparing one-handed vs. two-handed damage against Painting Guardians in Anor Londo, so it might have been a function of their specific defense values against my specific attack values. 

Iron Golem dead. Should I go to Anor Londo or try to grab the Very Large Ember first?

As far as I recall, you need the Lordvessel in order to lower the water, thereby allowing you to reach the largest mundane ember.