If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Dark Souls: Siegfried stops writing a journal like some bitchy teenager, the game is discussed.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Oh, okay, completionism works.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

The Knight of Honor Trophy requires: All Dragon Weapons, All Boss Weapons, all Black/Silver Knight Weapons, all Giant Weapons, Channeler's Trident, Demon Lance and some rare shields. I had almost everything but the trident and the remaining Boss Weapons I had yet to get in the NG+ I was.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

It's only the Drake sword that's really so terrible. The greatsword equivalent does something like 585 damage at +5, which is respectable with or without scaling. Hell, the Drake sword would probably be just fine if each upgrade contributed more to its damage -- something like 40 or 50, so it could compete with or exceed the other weapons in its weapon class. 

>585

Shit, seriously? I know I looked at its stats ad decided not to bother getting it...does it have absurd requirements?
  • edited 2012-09-03 01:44:09
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I just love sword beams.

28 int, can't recall how much STR.

• Moonlight Greatsword really is a great weapon.  As it should be, because From Software.  But it's also cool how it's one of the only purely magic-based weapons and how it scales with Int, making Int builds even more hilariously powerful in PVE.

• edited 2012-09-03 01:49:49
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^^  It requires 50 strength, which makes it an inhibitive weapon for one-handing, but any strength build should be able to two-hand it just fine. 

That would explain it. I prefer one-handing.

Also, it's an ultra-greatsword, and I'm not fond of those.

• edited 2012-09-03 01:55:59

Also if you were going to use an ultra greatsword, you should just use the Demon Great Machete, since it's considerably stronger (636 AR at 40 Str).

• edited 2012-09-03 02:05:11

Or even just a regular zweihander or greatsword, which get 610 AR on quality builds, but can be one-handed more easily. Also, the greatsword has a thrust, which get better bonuses for heavy attacks than other attack types. 

Started a SL1 run with the pyro. Ought to be interesting. 

Right now, I've defeated the gargoyles and spent mostly everything on titanite shards. My current thoughts on strategy go like this:

• Stay under 25% equip burden, always. I'll never have the HP to take hits, so good armour is out of the equation either way. 

• The hand axe is my primary, for fast damage dealing. The battleaxe will be used when heavier damage is required. 

• Against especially tough enemies that can be parried, I'll use an upgraded dagger to deal high criticals. 

• Given that my attunement slots are such an advantage and I have such low HP anyway, the Dusk Crown ring might be an idea to maximise my advantages while losing very little in return. 

That is glorious.

Fucking glorious. My only regret is that we will never see the reaction of that person, going back to their hacked game only to find themselves in Hollow form, without souls and without humanity. 

• Gotta love the dedication there.

They really should have coded something into the game so that if you get hit but don't take damage, it pulls an Earthbound on you.

^^ The subtitles really made it work so much better. Without them, it'd be funny, but they're what take it from broadly funny and turn it into something sympathetic to Dark Souls players in the most hilarious way possible. 

It would have been really great if he came back halfway through but couldn't do anything about it thanks to the stunlock from the kicking.

Hey guys.

I have a game we could play. 

I'll use the Mugen Monkey Character Creator to make a build representing a character not from Dark Souls or Demon's Souls. You guys guess. When I confirm a correct answer, the person who answered correctly then posts a build and we repeat the process. If every player gives up guessing, then the person who posted the build can elect to do one of three things:

• Take another turn and post another build.

• Give a turn to whoever came the closest in their guesses. 

• Give a turn to the first person who made a guess. 

Pretty clear, right? 

Right. 

So here's the first one

Remember to use the "Minify" button at the bottom left of the interface to get a smaller and more unique URL for your build. 

Is it a ringwraith?

That it is. Go for it.

On my phone. I will in a bit.
  • edited 2012-12-18 21:59:17
    Has friends besides tanks now

For some reason, the Bell Gargoyle fight seems to be giving me a lot more trouble this time (level 21, Bastard Sword +3 + Shield build) even though I can take one down to half health in about five or six hits. Died five times already.

EDIT: SHIT. Almost had one that time, but I kept misestimating my range. And it's a little tough to approach when they're both breathing fire atcha. At least getting to them is a cakewalk now. Taking down Balder Knights in 2-3 hits and all.

• edited 2012-12-18 21:59:17

Might as well get your weapon up to +5.  I always do before I fight the Bell Gargoyles.  Or you can try a different weapon entirely.  The Halberd is a good choice because it has a long range.

• edited 2012-12-18 22:10:23

If I can get my hands on another Titanite Shard, I probably will (I'm at 3 at the moment, and was down to 1 after +3, then got 2 more in immediate succession fighting Balder Knights again), and it said I need 2 to get up to +4, so I'm presuming I'd need 4 to get to +5).

EDIT: Oh, cool, got the Gargoyle Tail Axe that time (though it's statistically inferior to me bastard sword, even before upgrades. Dunno how its moveset is, though). Still died, of course, because I didn't click "OK" in time and that bit of text never went away.

EDIT 2: Yeah, when I did it the first time, it was with a Winged Spear +5 and Shield. I'm just bored of polearms.

• edited 2012-12-18 22:28:14

Beat that, leveled up a few more times, and now I'm wondering if it's worth using Twinkling Titanite to upgrade my Gargoyle Helm, and/or upgrade other pieces of armor. Just don't know how soon it would be before it's not worth it anymore.

EDIT: Eh. Did it anyway.

• edited 2012-12-18 22:38:22

In the future, don't waste titanite on armor until you're finished upgrading your weapons and shields.  Upgrading armor only increases the defense it gives you, and the utility of increasing defense is minimal compared to the utility of improving your weapons.  For the most part, you can get away with just choosing armor based on its poise value and weight.  Fortunately, the Gargoyle Helm is really good for that, so you'll probably want to keep wearing it for a while (or forever) anyway, so at least the upgrade didn't go to waste.  Still, there are a number of good weapons and shields that use Twinkling Titanite, and it'd probably be better to upgrade those instead.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Yeah, for what it's worth, I only ended up upgrading the Gargoyle Helm (which uses Twinkling Titanite anyway, and I can't remember what weapons that would be applicable to), and got the sword up to +5.

• I can't remember what weapons that would be applicable to

Notably, the Black Knight Shield which is one of the better shields in the game.  And other stuff, but I can't actually recall right now... (well, the Silver Knight Spear too, I know, but you said you don't like using polearms)

• edited 2012-12-18 22:46:08

Most people consider the claymore to be better than the bastard sword due to length considerations. That said, the weapons are almost identical anyway and the bastard sword does slightly more damage. Since the speed debuff for greatsword-class weapons, though, the extra length of the claymore became more valuable. 

Depending on your build and playstyle, a bunch of different good weapons use Twinkling Titanite to upgrade. The Black Knight and Silver Knight weapons are good examples (including shields), but there's also a bunch of other semi-special weapons that use the stuff. The Astora Straight Sword looks initially attractive, for instance, but its upgrade path doesn't even keep up with a regular Divine Longsword, unfortunately. Then you've got stuff like the Gravelord Sword and so on. 

All that said, the best weapon depends on both your playstyle and build, so the more information we have in that respect, the more we can point you towards a set of weapons that would synchronise with you.