If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

2»

Comments

• Juan, I was just raised eyebrow... because of the 0/10 for your trolling...

you usually give more effort
  • Please rerail or I will kill my own thread.
  • You can change. You can.
    ^I'd say that's in really bad form, Ninjaclown, but whatever, I suppose.

so avatarless people. evil. etc etc
  • OH my goodness gracious, gee wilagers

Avatar less people are... unidentifiable!
  • edited 2011-09-25 11:48:56
    Loser
    ninjaclown,
    Well, the avatar-less people sometimes have bad grammar, punctuation and spelling, so this another part that worries me.

I think people with avatars can have had grammar, punctuation, and spelling too, but I do agree with you in a way since newer users do seem to be more likely to both be less familiar with forums and to not have an avatar. I guess if the lack of an avatar itself bugs you, you could always send them an avatar or PM the person about it. That might be a bit too personal though.

I agree with captainbrass about people taking you seriously being related to having an avatar. Since TV Tropes lacks post counts, user levels (i.e. posting a certain amount does not give you a special title), and join dates, avatars tend to be the only indication that people are not new.

Still, I feel like complaining about people not having avatars can sometimes get into newbie bullying type behavior. I am not a fan of that kind of stuff since I think people who are new probably need the most slack of anyone as they are still adjusting to the forum atmosphere and its rules (both written and unwritten). I find it curious that the opposite seems to often be the case (i.e. bad behavior by forum "veterans" is tolerated more because they have been there for a while).

• I've noticed that the forum doesn't really make much attempt to be comprehensible to newbies. For one thing, simple things like (the incredibly cumbersome) QUOTEBLOCK and YouTube embedding aren't explained anywhere on the wiki pages, yet someone complained about people not using the former.
  • $80+ per session
    ^

IJBM has these problems as well.
  • Well, that's one thing to work on if we ever seriously think of expanding our participants.
  • $80+ per session
    I still don't know how to make yellow quote blocks.
    I've noticed that the forum doesn't really make much attempt to be comprehensible to newbies. For one thing, simple things like (the incredibly cumbersome) QUOTEBLOCK and YouTube embedding aren't explained anywhere on the wiki pages, yet someone complained about people not using the former.

They are on the "Add post" page now. Specifically, the "Forum markup tab" you get besides the text box.

Although the quote block thing is still fucking dumb and doesn't help anyone who is new to TvT but not new to forums in general. Not to mention that it's based on Eddie's personal preference rather than on general utility, bt balgh, let's not go there.

Also, I'd say that people not having an avatar on TvT could be simply an aesthetical choice and there's nothing wrong with that. Also, I like how (in theory) TvT doesn't have tags for people who are old users, mostly because I think that kinda thing tends to encourage people to look at old users as if they were right right away. Of course, thanks to how most users tend to have certain degree of...shall we say, memeticness, in practice this doesn't play out so well, as everyone ends up knowing everyone one way or another.
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    (the incredibly cumbersome) QUOTEBLOCK

"Incredibly cumbersome"? Really? For people who are complete retards, maybe.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Typing out quoteblock/quoteblock every time you want to quote something is infinitely more annoying than a quote button.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Fast Eddie just doesn't like quotes for some reason. He only included the quoteblock code because people complained about the lack of one.
    He doesn't like quotes because he thinks they are instruments of the trolls.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    And we all know that Glenn is the biggest troll of them all.
    Totally. He's like...dude. I mean...what kind of a person like YTPs unironically.

I'm telling you, they should ban that pesky Glenn Magus Harvey for his trollish ways
  • I remember during the last couple months of IJBM's existence we tended to associate generictroper.gif with Blaze Bullet (repeat ban-evading troll and spammer).
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I SEE THROUGH YOUR SCHEMES, GLENN
  • ^^^Yeah. I certainly viewed the generictroper.gif avatar with suspicion after that.

Of course, you can have a nice-looking avatar and be a total bitch (Tsukubus), so it's not like avatars necessarily make you better.

Who's Tsukubus?
    a total bitch

/Predictable
  • She got banned for suggesting that the right-wing extremist behind the Oslo shootings was justified since the children could grow up to be dangerous. The avatar I have now was her original one. Her other was of Mitsuki from Full Moon no Sagashite (I think).
  • In other words, being a total ass.
    suggesting that the right-wing extremist behind the Oslo shootings was justified since the children could grow up to be dangerous
    ಠ_ಠ
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    Of all the things you can use to bitch about people on TVT, you pick having no avatars?

;)
  • Also, I'd say that people not having an avatar on
    TvT could be simply an aesthetical choice and there's nothing wrong with
    that.

Also, what about people who just can't decide on what icon(s) they'd like to be remembered by?

Also, I like how (in theory) TvT doesn't have tags for people who
    are old users, mostly because I think that kinda thing tends to
    encourage people to look at old users as if they were right right away.
    Of course, thanks to how most users tend to have certain degree
    of...shall we say, memeticness, in practice this doesn't play out so
    well, as everyone ends up knowing everyone one way or another.

Isn't the memeticness isue more prevalent on the just for fun section of the forum? I mean, comments on each others' personalities don't make the conversations so impenetrable to newbies on the right side of the TvT forums, at least as far as I can tell.