If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I want to try Aldi

2»

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Yeah, it's a system that you find in some urban supermarkets as well.  Other put up fencing around the store that the carts won't fit through but people will.
  • a little muffled
    @CentralAvenue:
    And yeah, you get the quarter back. They have all the carts chained up
    outside and you have to insert a quarter to unlock one, but as long as
    you chain the cart back up when you're done you can get your quarter
    back.
    So...is that unusual around there? Because lots of places do that here.
  • I have never seen a place do that "put in a quarter in to get a kart" thing. Ever
  • a little muffled
    Weird. Maybe it's just less common in the States.
  • edited 2011-09-17 21:50:53
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    It's almost nonexistent in suburban areas, due to the fact that people generally have less reason to and ability to steal shopping carts.  Yes, they still get stolen, but the rate of theft is much lower, making the need for such a system pretty much nonexistent.

However, as I observed, it still occurs in urban areas.
  • Clean your room little Billy

From Aldi to history.

Aldi: It's where Barbarossa would shop.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    I laughed. Good show.
  • So...is that unusual around there? Because lots of places do that here.
    Aldi is the only store I know of in Columbus that does that.

I don't know about elsewhere because I rarely leave the area.
  • It's quite common at smaller supermarkets in the UK, like Morrison's. Bigger ones like Tesco have breaks in the trolley that activate as you cross a certain line. Usually the threshold of the car park. ASDA doesn't use anything.
  • ITT: CA makes a grocery nerd of all-comers.

Incidentally, they also used to insist on a pound coin in the trolley at the local Marks and Spencer where I used to live. It was really annoying to get there and find I didn't have one. 

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Pfft Lidl > Aldi.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Oh yeah, that's another common theft-prevention measure--devices that, once outside of radio range of the supermarket, cause one wheel to malfunction.
  • Man, WTF?

Down here in Texas no one gives a shit if you take the cart