If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I want to try Aldi

edited 2011-09-15 18:59:48 in Wonderful posts
This is probably a good idea.

That, and there's one just a few streets away.

But dammit, I don't wanna find a quarter to put in the shopping cart. I don't want to pay for bags so I'd just have to bring a bunch of old Kroger bags, and then stand in line while the woman in front of me buys 500 items.

And then I would go to Kroger to buy all the stuff you can't buy at Aldi anyway. Man, that would be awesome.

(Man, this topic reminds me of Cub Foods so much...I'll miss it)

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I like Aldi because they force me to use my own bags and thus save on crap and and cost.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    You have Aldis there too?
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    *looks up aldi*

Huh. seems interesting...

*check store locator*

...why am i not surprised
  • Poot dispenser here
    I read "Aldi" as "Audi." :|
  • Clean your room little Billy
    The first time shopping at Aldi was quite disorienting. No bags, coin-operated trolleys and lots of continental European brands I'd never heard of, but which were actually quite decent. Not a bad store really, but my nearest one is too far away to be convenient.
  • We have an Aldi not far from us, near Potomac Mills, and Mom shops there sometimes. Being in the US, you mainly see their house brand instead of weird European brands; then again, I haven't been in one personally yet.
  • I miss Cub Foods too.
  • Funny, I almost didn't bother to include that bit but I wanted FULL AUTHENTICITY
  • In the UK, they have a reputation for being "reasonably-priced" or "downmarket" depending on the background/social aspirations of the person you ask. I've never actually shopped in one myself.

We can't keep social class out of anything here - even your choice of supermarket.

^ haters gonna hate

I dunno if brands like Clancy's are weird European store brands, but hey, if it's cheap and the food's good, I don't really care.

Unfortunately, their totally-lower prices are not as low these days as a couple years ago when they first opened.
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    ...Wow, until now I didn't even know that Aldi exists outside of Germany. Considering that it's a very successful chain (and I will probably never understand why), I guess, I shouldn't be surprised, but I am.
    Probably because no-nonsense, cost-cutting, low-priced goods.
  • Poot dispenser here
    ^^Wait, that originated in Germany?

...I feel like making a joke related to Audi, but eh.
  • edited 2011-09-16 20:13:18
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Yes; it's original name is Albrecht Discount.
  • "Considering that it's a very successful chain (and I will probably never understand why)"

• You can change. You can.
    you do realize that's an stereotype and not entirely true, right?
  • But I so wish it was true. 

Also, modern day German tech is very well-built.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Germany being unusually strong at technology isn't a particularly recent development. See: German medieval battle tanks.

Albrecht Discount

This has gotta be the German equivalent of something like "Richard Gardening".
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GermanicEfficiency

They sure were efficient at murdering 10 million people.

/post may not be entirely serious
    > Germany being unusually strong at technology isn't a particularly recent development. See: German medieval battle tanks.

You mean back when there wasn't actually a country called Germany?
  • edited 2011-09-17 09:51:13
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    The Holy Roman Empire, then. Which was approximately modern German territory, plus Austria.  The term "Germany" is derived from the Roman term for that geographical area, if memory serves, and it was under that name that the society identified itself.

So while there wasn't "Germany" as we know it, there was a greater Germany. Which was the Holy Roman Empire. And don't forget that language was often a major identifier; for instance, the Teutonic Knights were formed in response to the need for German-speaking healers in the Holy Land. They went on to become the most powerful German military organisation throughout the rest of the Medieval era and the entirety of the Renaissance.

I'd have to consult an appropriate map for the names of territories apart from "not Austria". Apart from the obvious ones, like Bavaria and Saxony and stuff. Seriously, I'm pretty sure there were hundreds of 'em.
    You mean the non-holy non-Roman soon-to-be-non-empire?  Heh.
    "The Holy Roman Empire was not holy, nor Roman, nor an empire." - Voltaire, I believe.

To be fair, it did last for almost 1000 years. Early-mid 800s to 1806. That is one hell of a lifespan for a political body that was lying to itself, eh? xD
    It stayed viable because it became non-holy, non-Roman, and not quite an empire after a while.
    Well, it was never Roman and never quite an empire. Partially holy, though, given that Catholics held more land than secular lords.
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    From Aldi to history. This is so absurd, I don't have any words for this. Except the ones in this post.
  • It's always amusing when my own threads get derailed without my influence.

Especially when, like this one, it started as a stupid snowclone.
  • edited 2011-09-17 16:46:15
    Loser
    CentralAvenue/AnonymousUser,

Cub Foods stores still exist, right, just not where you happen to live? I was pretty sure there were some around here, along with Piggly Wiggly, the Roundy's chains, and Woodman's (among others).

That being said, paying for a shopping cart seems kind of weird to me. I mean, it is not as bad as having pay restrooms (which I think is almost as bad as something like a poll tax), but I wonder if it really saves the store much when people steal carts.
  • a little muffled
    Do they actually charge for shopping cards or is it a put a quarter in and you get it back when you're done deal?
  • I believe Cub Foods still exists, but all their stores near where I live were sold to Kroger in 1997.

And yeah, you get the quarter back. They have all the carts chained up outside and you have to insert a quarter to unlock one, but as long as you chain the cart back up when you're done you can get your quarter back.