If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

My Little Pony: Fighting is Magic

edited 2011-09-04 02:54:24 in IJAM
Pony Sleuth
Okay, I know I've stretched a few people's tolerance for pony stuff, but hear me out just this once. I wouldn't bother making a thread for this on its own if I didn't think this was potentially something of interest to non-fans.

So, there's this freeware fighting game in the works made by fans and including characters from the show. Sounds pretty iffy, but they really seem to know what they're doing. The dev team apparently has big fans of fighting games and they aren't half-assing it. The animations are fantastic, and despite being unfinished, it looks like it would be challenging and fun to play.

I think it's pretty awesome that they managed to put together something like this. I mean, there was some attempt in the Homestuck fanbase to put together a fighter, and it looks like clunky garbage, especially in comparison to this. And I'm sure you guys know that there's normally no shortage of Homestuck fans willing and able to dedicate quite a bit of skill, time, and effort.

Comments

• Wow.

I mean, holy fuck.

• Yeah, how long has it been in the making?
  • edited 2011-09-04 03:11:32
    Pony Sleuth
    Well, it can't have been in development for even a year yet considering the series didn't air until last October. Until I find something more specific, I'm estimating four months?

Yeah, it seems to be about four months ago that they started judging from the dates on some comments and early screenshots.
  • Oh, and this is the team's blog. Check out the FAQ if you're curious.

• ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    This looks neat.

It's like MLP is evolving into a super fandom very quickly.
  • $80+ per session
    Wow, that looks really neat. Combos and specials and everything.

I like Applejack's lasso move.
  • Her hold animation is a little weird, kinda hope they improve on that. Some fans are asking for her to have apple projectiles, which makes a lot of sense. Apples as projectiles are actually something she brought along as a weapon in case she had to fight a goddamn dragon in one episode. But it probably didn't suit the type of player character they wanted, which I guess I can accept.

Some of Twilight's moves are a little strange considering she hasn't displayed a number of those abilities, but they aren't necessarily out of place and perhaps more importantly look awesome.

Oh, and the lack of victory/defeat animations is lame, but they've said they're going to make the game play well before bothering with flavorful extras like that.

And, I think I'm going to throw something at something if Pinkie's spin kick from the show doesn't get in, though it probably will.

• Dear Princess Celestia. 

Today I learned a valuable lesson.

Sometimes, your friends may be too stubborn to see the truth, but you can always beat some sense and friendship into them. Hard.

Your faithful student Twilight Sparkle.

p.s. How’s your eye healing, BTW?, Hope I didn’t go too hard on you

My Most Faithful student Twilight Sparkle.

My eye is healing rather well, thank you. How’s the moon’s weather this time of the year?

Your benevolent dictator,
    Princess Celestia

• Yeah, I'm wondering what they'll end up doing for the story mode.
  • No rainbow star
    Did they make the engine from scratch?
  • edited 2011-09-04 14:25:59
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^ Are they going to include a story mode?
  • ^^

^
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Ah, so the Mugen engine then?
  • Read the FAQ, that kind of shit is answered there.
  • $80+ per session
    Huh. They are doing custom voice acting. Interesting.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Nightmare Moon would be the SNK boss?
  • About that custom voice acting, they picked an actor for Twilight.

While I think she's a fantastic choice, I'm kinda hoping they don't use too much original voice acting for things besides battle yells/grunts or whatever. They already have the opportunity to use lines from the show.
  • Long time no post.

Well, they just put up a character trailer for Twilight. She has a new stage, new music, new moves, and a new opponent to beat on (Pinkie Pie! [Dat foam finger]).

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

This continues to look really really awesome.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    Fighting someone to befriend them?

Totally doesn't sound familiar, no siree.
  • They're already friends. They're just fighting because lolfightinggamez.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    There's also a Homestuck fan-made fighting game in the works, IIRC.
  • edited 2011-11-02 23:08:16
    Pony Sleuth
    Yeah, I heard that too. I've seen what they've done with it so far, and to be frank, it's just complete shit.

Which is disappointing considering how awesome the source material is and how dedicated a lot of the fans are.

Wait, I already said all that in the OP! Read the fucking thread!

(You can leave out the bit where I said that I hope they use some of the original voices. Turns out there are technical reasons for why that would end up sounding awful.)
  • Further proof that MLP and its fandom are superior to Homestuck's.
  • I honestly think that it's at least noticeably larger at this point. Hell, those guys never got mentioned on Fox News or Colbert.

Though I do think Homestuck is the better and more innovative work, and deserves more recognition. I guess at this point it isn't something that's quite as approachable, though.

I still think Faust and Hussie should collaborate on a Squiddles cartoon. That would be the shit.
  • edited 2011-11-02 23:33:14
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Whoops wrong thread.
  • I still think Faust and Hussie should collaborate on a Squiddles cartoon. That would be the shit.

• To this day I haven't seen a PMV of the Squiddles theme, and I don't get why.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    I guess at this point it isn't something that's quite as approachable, though.

Consider that MLP is 1) in a more mainstream medium and 2) is G-rated (radar slips aside) whilst Homestuck is very easily pushing that PG-13 thing.
  • Why is that second point relevant?