If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Forzare Fails to Weather the Hurricane

13»

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Oh hey I forgot about you.  You're frog, right?
  • Yes I am. 

Bonus info to keep things relevant: The Farmington River did its fair share of overflowing in Avon and Simsbury. The Annoying Triangular Intersection and beyond, before the green bridge, at the west end of Rt. 185 is flooded out. Presumably much of Nod Rd. is too. Large parts of the Blue Fox Run golf course also are.

Some places in Avon definitely still are without power. My cousin in Canton got his back though.
    Yo @Hatter, where are you and when did you get electricity back?
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Power is still out. I was driving around yesterday, and there was a ton of wires down on the road, trees in the road, trees on the lines, stuff like that. I heard it might take as long as a week for power to come back, and from what I saw, I can believe it.
  • Sounds like the power outage was the worst to happen to you, so that's good.

Where are you posting from?
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    My grandparents' house, about fifteen minutes away from my house. They have an iPad with 3G.
  • Wow, you have techie grandparents or something?
    PBS News Hour article on the damage from Irene, in Vermont.

Yes, Vermont.  They're interviewing Senator Patrick Leahy right now.

I think a lot of the damage in this case came not so much storm strength as from the fact that, well, you just don't prepare for hurricanes in Vermont.

That said, at this point it's mostly cleanup.
  • edited 2011-08-30 18:09:16
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^ Yup.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Out of curiosity has there been any fervent climate change debates sparked by this?
    As usually natural weather based things like this tend to stir it up.
  • edited 2011-08-30 18:16:28
    When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    I believe Al Gore said something stupid about how this proves that global warming is real, then Fox News jumped on that to prove that global warming is a lie by the evil scientists, then Bill Nye came in and said "C'mon guys, quit it."

edit: here we go:

Bill Nye?
  • He had a show in the U.S. in the 90's about science aimed at children. It was pretty good.
    ^ You do not do Bill Nye justice, good sir.

He is a god among men.
    Tv scientist for kids, gotcha.

The article sounds good but I doubt anyone watching FOX will notice a ray of sense in their otherwise crazy programming.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    The saddest part is that he uses basically the same method of talking to the Fox News anchors as he does to the under-13 demographic of his shows, and they still don't get it.

(Not to say it's only for kids under 13; I loved watching it in science class at 15 and 16 years old).
    The days when our teacher played Bill Nye were the highlight of my AP Chemistry class.
    The days when our teacher didn't act like a creepy paedo were the highlight of my GCSE chemist class.

That and getting to make flame-throwers out of the gas taps.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    ^^ For our chemistry class, we watched some videos by Georgia Public Broadcasting that were awesome in a really, really weird way. They'd normally be boring as all hell, but for some reason they were very entertaining. 
    I don't think that that explanation from Nye was all that compelling, to be honest.  For example, I would have directly replied to that interviewer's saying his stuff about "how is more and more devastating disasters the new normal when we haven't had anything as bad as Katrina in the last six years?" with "we've been lucky and we're not the only thing on this Earth that hurricanes can hit".

I didn't know where Nye was going at first with the racism analogy but at the end of it I got it.  Still, as great as Nye is, I still think he could have benefitted from slightly better messaging in that video.

In other news:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/30/science/30forecast.html?_r=1&ref=science