If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

TVTropes Successor Project

Comments

• ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    After reading around it I found this:

1) Clear, Professional Style
    2) Deep, comparative
    analyses of trends within a broad range of literature, rather than
    step-by-step "name the trope" breakdowns.
    3) Initial focus on
    "classics": The English Literature Canon, important World Literature,
    important films, theatre, opera etc., to be broadened as time goes on.
    4) Intellectual culture.
    5) Notability guidelines with citations.
    6) Articles written by experts.
    7) Responsible moderation.

I am not even close to being able to comprehend intelectual culture, so I am on a miss for that.

I am not a major or expert in anything, so I cannot contribute to anything they put up. It also seems to revolve around advanced Literature, so that is something I cannot help with.

After reading some more I realized their project is not for me at all, regardless if I want to help or not. I am just....as the person DrSunshine was going back and forth to in the Admin Bluprint thread described....garbage.
  • No rainbow star
    Signed up

It seems to go too far to the serious side (some people don't want tropes to get articles. I just suggested a way that they could implement it and cut down on, "This is sorta an example", but yeah, I hope they allow tropes. Else it won't do well as a compliment to TVT)

Honestly, I think I would like to see a balance between the two. That, I think, would be a TVT-esque site at its best

Not attacking either site here, just pointing out some possible flaws
  • Interesting. I'm very skeptical, but I guess it can't hurt keep an eye on this.

I don't think talking about TvTropes should be discouraged for this project. It seems like it's the most successful site of its kind, and to forbid discussing what things it does wrong and right seems like it would present more of an obstacle than the "drama" it would supposedly cause.

Really, it's no secret that this is happening because people think TvTropes could stand to be improved in a number of ways. I don't see what's gained by pretending otherwise.
  • I barely added to Tvtropes, I doubt I could even contribute to this site.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I don't think talking about TvTropes should be discouraged for this project.

I dont think it is. I think that's just in this thread.
  • Uh, okay...

Anyway, after skimming some posts, it sort of feels like the spirit this project was started in is a little... Well, I generally don't like when this word is used, but I'm just going to say "elitist".

Of course I guess this might just be my being cranky that as much as I fancy myself an intellectual, I'm not, and wouldn't likely be able to contribute on the level they'd prefer. I tend to ignore most "high-brow" works, and the last time I studied literature was in high school.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I looked through the thread, and... yeah, I don't think this is something I can really contribute to.  I like reading analyses of stuff, but... I'm not really good at analyzing/noticing things like that in a work, so... I don't think there'd be much of value I could add.

I like the idea, though, and I'd definitely read the site.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Anyway, after skimming some posts, it sort of feels like the spirit this project was started in is a little... Well, I generally don't like when this word is used, but I'm just going to say "elitist".

I'm going to go with Icalasari here. In trying to go in the opposite direction as TVTropes, it's overshot its' mark. It was trying not to be, well, kinda stupid and inane- but in doing so, it's adopted a bit of an elitist attitude, where they'll only accept what they perceive to be the best stuff, as opposed to allowing people to write what they can and just getting rid of the stupid shit.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    That too.
  • It's funny, cause I remember in the "leaving TvTropes thread" that TvTropes was in response to Wikipedia's strict rules.

and because of this, they went too far off the other end.
  • I think the best case scenario would be for Wikipedia to ease up on notability a little.
  • But don't you see Gelzo, you're not gonna change Wikipedia's mind, Or Tvtrope's mind.

All you can is just watch the repeating cycle of far-extreme ends.

Soon there's gonna be a spinoff of this new w/e site thing that didn't like the strict eliteness, then it's going to go the sextreme in the other direction.

• You know what I'd like to see? A middle ground. Just once in my life, some kind of middle ground.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    A site about analyzing things that happen in works, barring retarded fanfiction bullshit like My Immortal/Pokemon Story/Thirty Hs/Fuck The Jesus Beam, but still giving notice to less than popular works, without the injection of metawankery, fan poison, hyperbolic opinion myopia and perverse fanservice entries? Where the summaries aren't similar to ingredients lists on cereal which go "This product may contain peanuts Yandere, Absurdly Sharp Blade and Deadpan Snarker", and everything must have a generally sound justification to be relevant, so tropes like "Something About Sharks" isn't just added on there everytime a shark pops up in the story? So tropes relating to key parts of a story and work are evaluated and reviewed, and not just posted and then forgotten about, and never explained?
  • I looked through the thread, and... yeah, I don't think this is
    something I can really contribute to.  I like reading analyses of stuff,
    but... I'm not really good at analyzing/noticing things like that in a
    work, so... I don't think there'd be much of value I could add.

Pretty much this. I'll probably lurk anyway, though.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    No Such Thing As Notability is part of what made TV Tropes so successful to begin with, I think. When you introduce standards and requirements that turn it into serious business, you've lost the charm and the feeling of being close to home. Not that this project doesn't have its own strengths, but a huge part of TV Tropes is the informality.
    But it also caused a lot of the problems with the site.
    What's the point of TV Tropes if you remove that element, though? You may as well take a lit class, because it'll be more informative and just as entertaining. TVT's value is that it's a "home-grown" collection of observations from a large, diverse group where individual articles thrive or die via meritocracy.

Description and analysis of English canon isn't necessary because so many other sources have extensive material on it; TVT is a casual database for a new age of media that reflects its userbase. As much as that reduces its potential as an academic source, I personally think there's far greater value in how its goals interact with its cultural elements.

I would agree that it needs touching up and some things could stand to be changed, but shifting focus like this just seems to stray too far in the direction of doing something so as to be taken more seriously. I don't think we should have to be like this; TVT is a reflection of the userbase and I think that's precious in its own right.
  • Mr. The Edge goes to Washington
    So, is this supposed to the TV Tropes of the Future? Isn't there a trope for that?
    The value of the site is that it takes apart common patterns in media- things that happen often, but that many do not really realize happen. Things like previously powerful characters being beaten up to show how powerful new characters are (The Worf Effect), the arrival of a character heralding a darker arc in a story (Knight of Cerebus), and etcetera. It's entertaining, and it's fun to spot those things.

However, that's all the current TVT does. It spots them, and lists them in every example of a work they find- whether it's on a million-word grimdark Pokemon fanfic, an advertisement shown twenty years ago in Germany, or a two-minute badly drawn clip on YouTube. 

It does not, say, explain where, when and how a trope came into being and evolved. It does not say why a trope has come into existence or been discredited. It does not list anything about the trope other than that it exists, and examples of where it has been used.

The site likes to throw around its' No Such Thing As Notability creed. However, what it often forgets is that the reason Notability is required is that it is useful for Quality Control- something the current site lacks sorely. For example, compare the 29,000 character article on the famous and influential novel HuckleBerry Finn, which was extremely influential for its' time and had a profound influence on American culture, to the 89,000 character article on the fetish-based web universe Pokegirls.

The site is... okay for what it is- a site for pure entertainment purposes. The basis of the site, cataloguing common trends in media and how, when and why they came into being, is a pretty good basis for a site, though, as well as helping people to understand another aspect of the media they enjoy. However, that's not what it's used for.

That's what this new site will be used for- attempting to catalogue these trends and show why they exist in their current and past states.
  • edited 2011-08-26 08:15:43
    This project does sound interesting, and seems like something I would like to possibly follow as a reader instead of a contributor. I do have two questions:

1.) What is going to set this website apart from other sources of Media Analysis?  What will this site provide that I can't get anywhere else? (I do not consider TVT to be a Media Analysis website for the purposes of this comparison.)

2.) Given the requirement of articles written by experts, what is the plan to attract enough legitimately qualified people to put together a solid body of work in a reasonable time? (Perhaps a definition of "experts" would be helpful here.)

In regards to the thread itself, I would suggest a title change if you do not want discussion of TV Tropes. The current set-up is asking people to compare this new site to TV Tropes, which is just begging for anti or pro TVT derails.
    Some tropes actually do give explanations, speculative or otherwise, on their origins; thus we get tropes concerning tropes throughout time directly, such as Older Than Print. Some are completely impossible to even speculate on and others are so obvious that no explanation is needed concerning their origins. In any case, trope evolution and development is discussed on TVT, just not in an organised fashion.

I think the disparity between articles for the likes of English canon and more contemporary, lesser-known works is a reflection of the culture once again. And you can't just change the culture of the wiki; if you try to arbitrarily enforce notability like that, the current userbase will be alienated because they really don't care about English canon. I for one don't really give a damn one way or the other about HuckleBerry Finn, but then again I've read classic English literature and enjoyed it. But I don't see what traits such works carry that give them precedence over later (or earlier) works.

A part of it should be self-respect. We shouldn't have to follow the same standards as other sources because we don't follow the same literary culture. We're way different and there's nothing inherently superior about that, but there's nothing wrong with it either. As I noted above, a part of the beauty of TVT is how it so powerfully reflects the kind of media consumed today by primarily young, creative minds. Some of the obscure works TVT covers today might end up as tomorrow's canon. After all, literature isn't static. The entire concept of a literary canon is deceptively young, being a late 19th or early 20th century concept if my memory serves. Keep in mind that literary canon isn't decided upon democratically, but via painstaking argument and debate over months or years for the smallest alteration between a relatively small amount of people. Some establishments even have their own canon so as not to be established with a different canon.

Sound familiar?

The difference between Of Mice And Men and Neon Genesis Evangelion is that the former is ensconsed within powerful academic establishments. TVT can do one of two things:

- It can follow the lead of others, or
    - It can be its own establishment

I'd much rather see it be the latter. We don't need more sources expousing the virtues of The Lord Of The Flies. Hell, fuck that book. It's an interesting read, but through it Golding is essentially saying "all people are inherently assholes", which isn't just uncharitable, but an aesop dropped like an anvil and almost hilariously presumptuous. What makes Golding qualified to tell us what human nature is? We have to question and challenge this kind of thing, and a part of that is perhaps even letting go of the concept of a literary or media canon.

In short, I'm saying that we shouldn't turn TVT into something that essentially already exists in unoriganised form. We'd just be streamlining something else that isn't TVT. Discussion of trope does exist, beginning with the concept of theme in high school English class. Abstracting that further and bringing it outside of an academic context was extremely clever and I'd hate to see it changed because we feel compelled to live up to the arbitrary standards of other media establishments.
    >>"all people are inherently assholes"

Unless you're fat and wear glasses, in which case you'll get hit in the head with a rock.
    Some tropes actually do give explanations, speculative or otherwise, on their origins;

I have seen maybe five.

Anyway... No, you're kind of mistaken, actually.

Consider this point you make:

As I noted above, a part of the beauty of TVT is how it so powerfully reflects the kind of media consumed today by primarily young, creative minds. 

That's not particularly true at all. It reflects the interests of the people who edit the Wiki, and the kinds of media consumed by these people. For example, I'm fairly sure that despite what some Tropers want to think, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha is not a worldwide bestseller among young, creative people.

However, it is a show that appeals to people interested in/obsessed with Anime. It also appeals to people with a love for shows with sci-fi bents, and for people who like to perv on youngish girls. (It also appeals to young girls.)

The same goes for that fanfic Latias' Journey. I am hella sure that fanfic is not very popular at all among most young, creative people.

However, the thing is, people who are fans of particular things come in and edit. Their edits then draw in more people who are interested in said thing. It does not reflect anything close to the tastes of the general audience- it reflects the tastes of those who edit the wiki, and those who are interested in said edits.

In short, I'm saying that we shouldn't turn TVT into something that essentially already exists in unoriganised form.

I have seen people discuss themes in media.

I have not, though, seen people discuss the patterns in media. I have seen them discuss the themes that emerge from said patterns- for example, the ideas behind the sacrifices in the Heroic Sacrifice trope- but I have never seen people discuss the meaning behind story arcs turning darker due to the appearance of a serious villain.

Abstracting that further and bringing it outside of an academic context was extremely clever and I'd hate to see it changed because we feel compelled to live up to the arbitrary standards of other media establishments. 

It's not being done because anyone feels compelled to live up to anyone's standards. It's being done because many people want something out of the site that just is not there, and that people there are generally not interested in producing.

A part of it should be self-respect. We shouldn't have to follow the same standards as other sources because we don't follow the same literary culture. We're way different and there's nothing inherently superior about that, but there's nothing wrong with it either.

There are reasons behind those standards though. To use my earlier example- their No Such Thing As Notability policy, which has led to pages like Pokegirls (A near-90,000 character article set in a world in which people rape personified mythical creatures) and Rapelay (A hentai game built around the concept of raping people) being created.

People are dissatisfied with aspects of the culture that are deeply ingrained in the site.

It's not that they are trying to live up to anyone else's standards.

It's that they want something out of the site- actual discussion of tropes, exploring them, not just listing them- and the primary site does not offer this.
    I have seen maybe five.

Check the trope pages for the likes of Older Than Print and Older Than Feudalism. You're bound to find quite a few that way.

However, the thing is, people who are fans of particular things come in
    and edit. Their edits then draw in more people who are interested in
    said thing. It does not reflect anything close to the tastes of the
    general audience- it reflects the tastes of those who edit the wiki,
    and those who are interested in said edits.

Keeping in mind that TV Tropes isn't exactly an obscure website and also includes pages on mainstream media. The level of detail and discussion of a work will reflect how well-loved (or loathed) it is amongst editors, but the cross-section of media within the site is indicative of media consumption amongst young Western people, particularly those who go beyond the mainstream. With the increasing availability of media via the internet and the ease of communication, that group is ever-expanding.

What I'm saying here is that TVT represents a wider movement in media consumption. TVT isn't the root of it, but it does reflect it courtesy of its contributor base being part of that root movement. It's certainly not the only website that reflects that movement, but it's the only one that does what it does. As it stands, TVT has some definite sociological value.

I have not, though, seen people discuss the patterns in media. I
    have seen them discuss the themes that emerge from said patterns- for
    example, the ideas behind the sacrifices in the Heroic Sacrifice trope-
    but I have never seen people discuss the meaning behind story arcs
    turning darker due to the appearance of a serious villain.

That all begins with discussion of theme, though, primarily because theme is what media is about. Patterns are fun, but a little beside the point unless they're discussed in direct comparison to other examples rather than as a whole, although, again, some trope pages discuss common uses for tropes. Utilisation essentially comes down to theme and these things in tandem are commonly discussed in literary circles. They simply aren't databased. When you get the opportunity, take a university literature class. I promise you'll be pleased.

that people there are generally not interested in producing

I think this results from a difference in expectation. TVT never pretended to be serious or academic. Look at the main page and read the mission statement and you'll see everything laid out.

There are reasons behind those standards though. To use my earlier
    example- their No Such Thing As Notability policy, which has led to
    pages like Pokegirls (A near-90,000 character article set in a world in
    which people rape personified mythical creatures) and Rapelay (A hentai
    game built around the concept of raping people) being created.

People are dissatisfied with aspects of the culture that are deeply ingrained in the site.

I can see how some would see this as an issue, but I don't think there's enough of an objective case to claim that it should be changed. Besides, the wiki's goals lie in cataloguing tropes and works; why ignore a work because it's distasteful? Also keep in mind that work pages tend to get substance based not on how well-liked they are, but how much interest they generate. This includes how well-liked they are, but then you get pages like Sonichu, which is universally reviled but extremely fascinating as well.

Most work pages refrain from commenting on the quality of the works in any case, focusing on the content.

In any case, I'm all for improvement. But I don't think we should alter the wiki's goals based on external standards.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Well, we're not altering the wiki's goals. We're making a new website with different goals. 
  • edited 2011-08-26 09:56:10
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    (It's like... 1AM now... I don't think I can really type up another long post and have it be coherent, sorry, so I'll have to keep it short. Sorry.)

Besides, the wiki's goals lie in cataloguing tropes and works;

Thus the existence of this new site. That's TVTrope's goal. However, that's not what people on the new site want. They- and I- want to understand not just the patterns in media that have evolved over time, but to understand how and why they've evolved. A couple of pages on TVTropes does that, but they are maybe a few dozen out of the what, 18,000 tropes that are listed there?

>

That all begins with discussion of theme, though, primarily because theme is what media is about. Patterns are fun, but a little beside the point unless they're discussed in direct comparison to other examples rather than as a whole, although, again, some trope pages discuss common uses for tropes. 

That is not necessarily true. Have you seen, for example, the work done on the All Vampires Are Sex Gods page? It goes into the history of the trope- detailing how it evolved, and when it evolved. It is not perfect, by any means, but it was informative.

Something written in that style- informing us of the trope's earliest examples, detailing how it's evolved, speculating as to why it exists and what factors have led to its' evolution over time- has the potential to be very informative.

Far more so than a page saying "In Episode 17 of Lucky Star!, we see [Main Character's] panties again."

Basically, you are right in that the wiki's goals are primarily for that of entertainment purposes.

It's just that that's not what the people involved in this project want out of the site. It has a good basis, but they want something else out of it that the current site is not generating.

i.e. Nobody is trying to change TVTropes.

We're merely doing something different with the concept of the trope that TVTropes catalogues.
  • edited 2011-08-26 10:07:00
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    ^^ That's a different thing altogether. I get behind that as a separate entity. I wouldn't call it a TVT successor, though, because of the large difference in methods and tone.

What I'm arguing against here is TVT aiming for higher quality via imposing more restrictive standards, which to my mind defeats the purpose. Or the concept that TVT, as it stands, could be considered something to be ashamed of. It has its flaws, but it's an astounding website with plenty of quality entries. I'm certainly not saying you shouldn't do something different based on the same concept.

That is not necessarily true. Have you seen, for example, the work done
    on the All Vampires Are Sex Gods page? It goes into the history of the
    trope- detailing
    how it evolved, and when it evolved. It is not perfect, by any means, but it was informative.

I think that's a little unfair, since vampire fiction (excluding folklore) is a product of the last 200 years and therefore easy to research and analyse. You can't do that for a lot of tropes because they're so old. You can't exactly timeline and make commentary on something like Heel Face Turn in the same way because we don't know exactly where it started. Nor do we have full understandings of the societies that used it in fiction. Anything predating Early Modern is essentially lost to us in terms of complete understanding since there's so many holes in literature from those past eras; fictional, historical and otherwise. We can't even always tell if we're being given the correct history.

In that particular aspect, you are literally asking the impossible for many tropes.
    That's a different thing altogether. I get behind that as a separate entity. I wouldn't call it a TVT successor, though, because of the large difference in methods and tone. 

That was already pointed out though...

What I'm arguing against here is TVT aiming for higher quality via imposing more restrictive standards, which to my mind defeats the purpose. 

It defeats the purpose of the site to aim for higher quality stuff? Or... it defeats the purpose to impose more restrictive standards?

Actually, what are the- no, let's not go there.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Well, hmm, I don't think I could contribute to the new site, which saddens me greatly, but I have the anylitical capacity of a termite.