If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

TVTropes Successor Project

edited 2011-08-25 20:48:10 in Webspace
When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
THINGS THIS THREAD WILL NOT BE USED FOR:

* The bashing of TVTropes and/or its users. (Constructive criticism is fine)

* Cross-communication with SA that does not pertain to this topic. (Not that I have anything against them, but it's not what the thread is for)

So, in the TVTropes thread on Something Awful goon DrSunshine (a former troper) posted a link to the new successor project to TVTropes he has created. Instead of what he believes is an unfixably flawed mission goal of categorizing tropes in works of fiction, he has set up a website dedicated to in-depth analysis of media and its machinations. I would greatly appreciate it (as would he, I think) if you would just aire your thoughts about said website and what it could be about, as well as perhaps decide to join (if you think you have something to usefully contribute). 

Please, keep things civil and sensible. I know we consider ourselves better than TVTropes, but some behaviors we have (unhelpful shitposting, awkward flirting) will reflect badly upon this website and its userbase, so if I could implore you to use the utmost courtesy and common respect while posting in this thread, as well as in the website if you choose to do so, that would be greatly appreciated.

It would also be appreciated if I got the approval of the mods in this discussion. And remember that, since this is a new start-up wiki that wishes to distance itself from TVTropes culture, posting a link to the website on TVTropes is a big no-no. It also probably counts as importation of drama, or something. What I'm saying is for now, keep this website's exposure on TVTropes at zero.

NOTE TO SA: I have no SA account, but if those who do wish to comment with us about this website then they are free to do so. 

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I am already signed up ^_^
  • You guys try it out for a while and tell me how it goes. Sounds interesting, but ideas by themselves can only go so far.
  • You can change. You can.
    Goddamnit, I didn't want it to spread so quickly around here. 

Anyway, I already signed up and have commented for a while and have had some discussions with Sunshine before. 
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I still have not come up with anything worth contributing :/
  • Woki mit deim Popo.
    DrSunshine (a former troper whose name I cannot recall)

I believe the name you're looking for is [AOD].

• edited 2011-08-25 20:35:20
    Yep, that's him.

^^^ I tried to, in my post, make it clear that only thoughtful and contributive discussion will be accepted, both on that website and in this thread.
    I just was thinking that the site might not be interested in another TvT related thread. --shrug--
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    It's not TVTropes related. As I said, discussion of TVTropes will not be allowed in this thread. We will discuss, instead, the new website that is dedicated to seriously and academically analyzing fiction. 
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-08-25 20:41:48
    Not to make excuses, but it's not really TvT related.

^Yeah, that.
    Welp, the successor is based on...nvm, there's no point in pursuing that point.

Anyway, the thing about the site, so far, is that we're aiming for a zine format. This is, every contributor has to produce an analysis or to contribute to another user's analysis.

Has anyone have anything of the sort?

Also, you need to link the the actual forums of the thing, yannow. 
  • edited 2011-08-25 20:47:37
    Okely dokely.

Also, sorry, person in charge of the website. I probably didn't need to keep re-sending my email confirmation request over and over.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-08-25 20:46:31
    http://tvtsuccessorproject.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general

There.

ARHGARBLAHGRALBAHRBLAH STOP NINJAING ME
    We have that.

We also have this.

That's the Omnipresence wiki's page on the TvTropes fork as planned by Tzetze and Anemotaxis. They have already annexed themselves to the poject in a technical and advisory aspect. 
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Hrm. That is a similar website. I assume, if we got one group to communicate with the other, some deal could be worked out. For now, I'll stick to the one I've linked to.
    Old user. Older than time, space and the universe itself.

Also, the reason why we're doing this and why this makes sense beyond being something like that stupid mirror wiki.

Which is another thing: This project is no born out of spite. None of the members (Or at least, I am not) interested in being superior to TvTropes or whatever. I just disagree with their approach to fiction and want to make a wiki that reflects my thoughts on it far more eloquently and better.

If you're in this because youre interested in an academical endeavor, then welcome aboard. But if you're in this for the sake of being superior or shitting up on other people's project, then please, don't come near us. 

I know it's asking much for some of you, but please, don't turn this into a thread about how we're better than TvT for creating this project, nor highjack it with stupidty. 
    ^^ Iff you notice, Tzetze has already posted in the forums ou've linked to, and the Omni wiki is linked in the OP
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-08-25 20:55:38
    You're the only one bringing up TvT, Juan. Not to be rude, but cut it out. If you don't want people bitching about TvT, stop bitching about people bitching about TvT. Have a little faith, for once.

Didn't mean for it to come out that harsh, but, yeah.
  • bEsT mOtHeRfUcKiNg FrIeNdS fOrEvEr
    Be nice, Bobby. ;P
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > You guys try it out for a while and tell me how it goes.

This.

> [AOD]

Dude, where the fuck did you go?  I was enjoying your presence on the TVTF helping to disperse the stupid misinformation on climate change.

> SA thread

Let me know if [AOD] responds to me, by the way.

> Anemotaxis (a.k.a. Illflower)'s fork

Hunh, I never knew about this.
    This idea actually sounds like it won't be a "successor" to TV Tropes, but rather a complementary site to it.

TV Tropes is not an analysis site, but it's very useful for analysis because it catalogues instances of particular features happening in media, and thus makes it easier to compare and constrast things.
  • $80+ per session
    If you aren't trying to make it "superior" or "different", it isn't really a successor, or an alternative.
    Well apparently whoever named it is indirectly predicting the downfall of TV Tropes, thus calling this a "successor".
  • $80+ per session
    Either that, or they just don't like TV Tropes.
  • edited 2011-08-25 23:23:36
    It's going to fail. TVTropes' success is partially due to the simplicity of it. Anyone can notice things that happen more than once in fiction, write a short, informal article about that thing and list examples of it, making the site easy to write for and easy to read. Writing a good article for this successor will require a good deal of time, effort, writing skill and in-depth knowledge of a work. There's also little room for "entry pimping", another reason for TVTropes' success.
  • They're somethin' else.
    Interesting. Very interesting.
  • $80+ per session
    I agree with inkblot. The purpose of this is, I assume, to be at least somewhat different from Tv Tropes. Any number of smart differences you could implement would limit the site's success too much to be used.
  • I would like to look at it, but apparently you have to be logged in.

And I'm hesitant to register, as I'm not sure I would be able to contribute anything.
  • ^^I might, it seems interesting to at least lurk.