If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Trope Repair Shop and other threads that could really use help in.

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    -shrug-

Okay then. I will look elsewhere.
  • Note how many anime and series actually do that? Note how creepy or "Non-G-Rated" those series are?
  • I would try to explain that what is creepy is not that it existed, but how detailed and focused it was.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Yes, that is what I mean when I say it is creepy.
  • You can change. You can.
    You know what? Fuck it, if they want their goddamn breast chart, they can keep it. There's a point where idiocy takes a new level, and this is it.
    Yeah, this is how I feel.

It is not actively sexual, therefore having a 1,400 word essay on how bras are fitted and how bra sizes differ by country is totally okay on a website devoted to cataloguing Tropes. Makes perfect sense. Not creepy how much focus is put on this article about, essentially, fictional character's breast sizes, nope.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-08-09 10:43:03
    It is not actively sexual, therefore having a 1,400 word essay on how bras are fitted and how bra sizes differ by country is totally okay on a website devoted to cataloguing Tropes. 

>>

I think it's interesting. I'd support articles based on other basic clothing standards as well.
    It may be interesting from a writing/reader perspective, but it's hosted on a site about trends in media. While it is informative, it is in the wrong place.
  • AHR, those aren't tropes.

People wear bras.

People sit on chairs.

Mod's stance on the position, essentially (Meeble posted it, Fighteer agrees):

Fighteer: I disagree that there is only value to the reader if media portrays the subject of a Useful Notes page inaccurately.

What is more commonly an issue is that certain things are referenced in a media's culture with the idea that not a whole lot of detail needs to be given, because fans from that culture are already familiar with them.

Since the world has become increasingly globalized, however, more and more media is consumed by viewers all over the world, the majority of whom may not have the cultural background to understand the references made in those media.
    The Useful Notes pages can serve as a primer for those fans, giving them detailed knowledge that can help explain things which they don't have the culutral cues to pick up.

For example, if a work centered on schoolchildren makes a passing reference to the American grade/year system, but a viewer from Brazil has a completely different system, they will be understandably confused. However, if they mosey on over to American Educational System, they can find out that grades 6-8 mean middle school, 9-12 means high school, and enough information on the terms "middle" and "high" school to draw a reasonable comparison to their own system.

• AHRAHR
    edited 2011-08-09 10:53:54
    I think clothes and their sizes could be part of that, I mean, when you have stuff like, say, Devil Wears Prada where a big deal is made when she goes down from a size 8 to a size 6, or something to that extent. I think a general article on all types of clothing sizes for all forms of clothing might indeed be useful.
    As I said before, I wouldn't mind if it was just about bra, but it's basically about their waifu's bras.
    I think clothes and their sizes could be part of that, I mean, when you have stuff like, say, Devil Wears Prada where a big deal is made when she goes down from a size 8 to a size 6, or something to that extent. I think a general article on all types of clothing sizes for all forms of clothing might indeed be useful.

We all agreed on that when Bobby suggested it.

It's the fact that there's a 1400-word essay specifically about bras that is creepy. Clothing in general would be a-okay.
  • Juan Carlos is my waifu, so put on this bra kk.
  • That's good, although I must know why 1400 words is what makes it creepy. Wouldn't it be the content?
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    It's the level of detail.
    Yeah. The length of the article shows how much detail is in it.
  • edited 2011-08-09 11:00:02
    Likes cheesecake unironically.
    I agree that people are pretty quick to call something creepy as argument that something should go away. "Creepy" is entirely subjective anyway.

However, just because something isn't creepy, it's not automatically alright. The bra sizes page, as it originally existed (not that I support having such a page at all, since it's completely pointless), is a good example of that. I didn't find it creepy at all that "loli" was listed at a size, but it was very questionable regardless.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-08-09 10:59:19
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassiere

So, is that creepy?

I just don't think "1400 words!" is a good indicator of it being "creepy" or not. It tells me nothing.

Now, the chart that seemed to compare things to animé sizes, that was a better argument.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-08-09 11:08:46
    ...CYGAN I KNOW YOU HAD JUST POSTED.

...that was really weird. WHERE DID YOUR POST GO?

D:

OH GOD. I'm GOING CRAZY.
  • Magical Ninja Cygan: The anime.
  • She did post, I saw it as well. 
    I deleted it 'coz it's really not worth getting into this discussion.
  • Trust me though, Cygs, I get the argument for why the article was creepy. I didn't like the chart thing, and I just happen to love information enough that I'm too lenient on these sort of things. I just don't think 1400 words is a good argument for it.
    It's not exactly the only argument I brought against it. It as representative of how much detail was presented on it when that information is off-mission though.

When an article about bra sizes that is only tangentially related to the purpose of the site it is hosted on is nearly as long as a university-level essay, you know there's a problem.
  • No rainbow star
    That Mario Rename thread made me want to hurt people
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Multiple threads this past week have made me want to hurt people. 
    That Mario Rename thread made me want to hurt people

Indeed.