If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

America and slavery

edited 2011-07-23 04:46:42 in Politics
Now i'm not saying we were justified or anything but the rest of the world looks at us and just points their fingers like we are the only ones who ever did it. Before everyone goes on pointing fingers can we just consider this fact. we were not the first or most severe case of it ever in history nor are we the last. look at history eople before you go pointing fingers.

Comments

• Y'know what really, really bugs me about the abolishment of slavery? It was done for all the wrong reasons!

Slavery was abolished, not because it was wrong, but because it was so much cheaper to give a man a pittance of a wage than to provide for them as a slave.
  • Need more context than just a one-off phrase that some people may have used at one point.
  • well generally i hear a lot when someone is trying to criticize America sayign "you had slaves!" like no one else ever did it. yes it was a fucking atrocity no we are not exceptional for it or alone in any way in committing it in our past. it's not like the rest of the world has a spotless history in this respect.
  • I agree with this.
  • I haven't actually ever heard slavery being used against America. Because as you say, it's hardly an exclusively American concept.
  • edited 2011-07-23 05:15:43
    Belief
    Well, It might have to do with the whole age of enlightenment thing going on.

Or that we're like a couple years late on the whole thing about trying to be civilized and still have slaves kind of deal.

Also@The Conductor: You say that like it's a bad thing, but it's not, you know.
  • >_>, I meant in context of doing something because it's "Wrong" or "Right"

Back then, some people didn't find slavery wrong( even though it was so plainly wrong, wrong )

• Oh right. Well it doesn't stop it bugging me now. It just bugs me that the reason slavery doesn't happen anymore is so a rich man's pocket could be a little heavier.

It's one of those "The end justifies the means" deals. I'm glad slavery is gone, I'm just a bit unhappy about WHY it's gone.
  • edited 2011-07-23 05:38:45
    Belief
    Well, Think of it as a tool though.

Some people aren't going to be convinced about. something on human decency alone. So it pays off in the end to convince them through other means that their way of life, Whether it be owning slaves or whatever sort of human indecency you want to name is just not even feasible anymore.