If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Something Awful is doing the "non-members can't read our threads for a limited time" thing again

edited 2011-02-16 15:03:39 in General
How am I supposed to check up on my favorite Lets Plays?

NOTE: I would join if I had the money. Which I don't.

Comments

• It's because they don't want us to find out how else they are going to save Troper Tales.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Myrmidon: Don't join.  It's not worth it.

I still don't like how they monopolize Let's Plays.  IIRC they have a database for LPs, and this database only includes those done by people with SA accounts.
  • Is it wrong of me to find Something Awful to be kind of smug for expecting people to pay for the privilege of joining their site?  There are plenty of equally good communities on Livejournal, and I only have to pay for those if I want to.
  • edited 2011-02-16 15:58:29
    It's not really smug, it's them making money..

... by appealing to people's desire to be smug about being part of their community, or enjoying the content they produce. People are willing to pay for it, so why not?
  • edited 2011-02-16 15:57:10
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I would never join any forum with a registration fee. One that's in love with itself enough to feel it can reasonably charge people would seem, to me, to be of a lower quality than the free ones.
  • edited 2011-02-16 15:59:41
    ^^ Ah, that kind of makes sense.  I kind of imagine the entire forum as a group of wealthy 30-something Protestants at a wine tasting party.

^ Agreed, I can't even imagine how great a forum would have for me to actually pay to want to join it, and the fact that they're asking me to pay at all isn't a step in the right direction.
  • Morgan Freeman is God
    I thought an SA account was only $5?

Did they raise it?
  • HAHAHA, I HAVE AN ACCOUNT ON Something Awful!

Take that you poor neckbeards!
  • MY FACE IS PERFECTLY SHAVEN THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    -has a full beard-

>.>

<.<

How did you know?
  • ^^ YOU WISH!

^ A full beard?  I never knew you were that manly.
    Actually, I just hate shaving. I shave it off like every three weeks.

Don't judge me.
  • ^ It's cool, I don't really care for shaving either, the little cuts I always give myself sting like no other, and it only gets worse when I wash my face with toothpaste or alcohol afterward to keep from breaking out.  That's the price I pay to look cute, I guess.  There's no shame in having facial hair though, it just means you're a... -resists urge to sing "Macho Man"-  It, uh... it just means you're pretty masculine.
    Well, according to literally everyone I know, I look better without it.
  • edited 2011-02-16 16:28:30
    Then shave it sometime.  Or don't, I'm not your stylist or whatever.  ....

.... MACHO, MACHO, MAAAAN!
    Well, I do shave it. Just so infrequently that it grows back.
  • I only shave like once a week because of a combination of being lazy, not liking to shave, and not actually having a razor at school.
    I presumably look kind of awful at the end of a week, but this isn't a problem since I don't have any reason to look good since I never, like, talk to anyone other than people who have already been my friends for quite some time.
  • You straight boys and your facial hair...
    To be honest, I really wouldn't mind permanently losing the ability to grow it.
  • ...what does straightness have to do with our facial hair?

^ Also that.
  • I don't have to shave, except for my legs and curtains.
  • edited 2011-02-16 16:37:46
    ^^^ Nor would I.  Maybe I should start infusing myself with estrogen or something.

^^ Nothing, I was just making a joke.  I'm pretty sure Centie is straight, and s/he probably shaves much more often than I do.

^ Thank you Tno.  I'm glad you could join our wonderful shaving discussion.
    One thing that bothers me is this tiny patch I have along my jawline where it doesn't grow. The rest is thick enough to hide it, but still. What.
  • ^ Meh, I get that in some areas too.  Just another reason I like to shave so much, my facial hair looks like crap when it exists.

Also, Something awful ---> Shaving.  Derails FTW.
  • Wait.

GOD DAMN FUCKING DERAILS!
    But it's a derail with actual discussion. We aren't wonderposting or anything.
  • ...fair enough.

Do your carpet match the drapes?
  • My house's carpet has dog pee.
  • Whether they are smug or not, the fact remains that I can't follow things I want to follow, and I have no idea when they'll let non-members read the threads again.