If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The attention people pay to the Casey Anthony case

edited 2011-07-05 22:09:10 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
(This topic was split from the "Casey Anthony found not guilty" thread.)

Why do people care so damn much about this?

I keep on hearing about this in the news, and from what I can tell this is some sort of domestic violence case.  Now tell me, how many of these cases don't get nationwide publicity?

Seriously, I care more about Mel J. Vanette than I care about this case.

Comments

• This is why I don't watch the news.
  • The problem is that the media wants to get better ratings through entertaining viewers. Sometimes this means a news story with a lot of drama and the potential to get people outraged becomes very high-profile.
  • I think we can safely blame Nancy Grace for this case's national attention.
  • Glaives are better.
    White woman kills a cute little girl so she can go back to whoring herself. It's the perfect storm for yellow journalism.
  • You keep talking about the "whoring" as if it were the worst part of what she did.
  • Glaives are better.
    No, it was definitely the killing of her baby daughter that pisses me off the most. But the reasoning for it also enrages me. This woman murdered her own child so that she could go on drinking and fucking like a first-year college student. The murder of a child always enrages me, and so I don't feel the need to explain my anger any time this sort of thing happens. So I'm concentrating on the reasoning - the sick, stupid, offensive, infantile reasoning behind it.
  • edited 2011-07-05 22:20:19
    ^ Oh, that's what happened.

Well, humans gonna hu.
  • edited 2011-07-05 22:21:42
    Has friends besides tanks now
    People gonna peep?

@ the case: I haven't heard about it much, but I hardly see how it's exceptionally outrageous.
  • Humans gonna hyu.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^^ Lol, I had that originally.  Changed it because it just didn't look right.

My point is that some people are going to do incredibly dickish and stupid things like this, and I've stopped getting enraged or depressed every time I find news of this.
  • Glaives are better.
    It's not a human thing, though. A human would feel some kind of emotion when smothering their own child. A human would weep, seek forgiveness or try to somehow justify the act to assuage their own conscience. Casey Anthony isn't a human. I don't know what she is, but I don't want her in my species. 
  • You haven't seen many humans then...

if you can make a claim like that.
  • edited 2011-07-05 22:27:16
    ^^ Sorry, but you do, and what you're describing is a socially-acceptable normal human being, which definitely she does not seem to be.  I guess you could try to prevent her from producing any more progeny, if you want to play that game.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Casey Anthony isn't a human.

Does anyone else get sick of this shit?
  • Seriously.

You shouldn't be able to only call the good aspects of humanity "human". Calling a villain a demon is about as silly as calling a hero a god.
    Hey, if it makes you feel any better, within our species we also have great people like Chesley Sullenberger (spelling?) and Theodore Roosevelt.
  • Glaives are better.

No. I can accept dickish behavior. I accept the fact that humanity is essentially like 4chan - perverse, angry, bitter and malicious. But even 4chan will rescue cats or stop child molesters. Even 4chan sometimes gives money to complete strangers, fights injustice, or sends enormous waves of birthday cards to some old dude in the Midwest. 

There was nothing human in what Casey Anthony did.

• $80+ per session
    Yes, Hatter, because she totally DID do it no matter what, right?
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Hatter, the way you can claim to dehumanise someone is absolutely repugnant.
    @ everyone else: I understand where Hatter is coming from.

That said, I ain't gonna argue this any further.
  • edited 2011-07-05 22:32:41
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    That doesn't change the fact that she is a human. Is she a horrible, horrible excuse for a person (assuming she's guilty)? Yes. Does that make her not human? No.

I'm not sure where I was going with this, but I think it's stupid to say someone isn't human, even if they do horrible things.
  • You can change. You can.
    Agree with forzare. Besides, humans are funny little things that come in different packages. I suggest adapting to this and accepting it pronto.
  • What is so special about being human?
  • I never got what sets people off about what Hatter's doing so much. It's kind of annoying, sure, but it's not "absolutely repugnant".
  • Hatter's problem is that he's using human as a synonym for good rather than a term to describe members of a species.

I can't wait for aliens to come visit so he looks like a huge racist.
  • Hatter, whether or not you like it, Casey is a human being, flesh and blood, with interests and stress.

quit trying to demonize people you don't like, what she is horrible, and apalling, but she's still a human.
  • You can change. You can.
    @Gelzo: Well, it's not like Hatter's use of the word is exactly new.
  • edited 2011-07-05 22:35:57
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    ^^^^ Because stripping someone of their humanity is an absolute means of stripping their rights.
  • ^^Precedented =/= acceptable