If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animé titles are so often weird

Comments

• I'm pretty sure he meant the "v".

They sound the same to me so whatever.
  • edited 2011-07-04 12:12:29
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^
  • edited 2011-07-04 12:20:51
    [tɕagɛn]
    "Voiced labiodental fricative" is the fancy name for the "v" sound of "valve", "vote", and "oven".

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_labiodental_fricative
  • edited 2011-07-04 14:10:52
    Hm... what about ヴ?  That's supposed to represent a "vu" sound, so of course ヴァ, ヴィ, ヴェ, and ヴォ should be "va", "vi", "ve" and "vo".  That said, the sound is usually represented by "ba", "bi", "bu", "be", or "bo" instead, so yeah, maybe it is because Japanese have a hard time pronouncing it.  Which would make sense, since it's not in any Japanese words.

And, in fact, "Evangelion" is written with that, instead of a "b" sound.  It's "エヴァンゲリオン".
  • It may be that Japanese has a sound more like a mixture of "v" and "b". Like how the Japanese "r" is really a mix between "r" and "l".
  • I think you pronounce them the same as the b-series, (and the ら”, り” etc. things as r). I could be wrong, though.
  • Ah, okay.  Makes sense.  So it's just a way of clarifying how the word was originally pronounced/spelled, I guess.  That seems alright.
  • I hate anime with titles like... Mahou Shoujo SWEETY☆SWEETY Nya-Nya Popcorn Kernel Estrogen Rice Girls and shit like that.
  • I assume that includes Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel ~Kyun Kyun☆Tokimeki Paradise!!~

That was the first show I could think of that actually had a title kinda like what you said.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    ^ That actually exists?
  • Yep.  It's airing this season.  I don't have the slightest idea what it's about, but I know I'm going to be watching it.
  • Damn, and my post was just hyperbole. I didn't expect an actual title like that. XD
  • edited 2011-07-04 17:17:27
    Has friends besides tanks now
    If it's as cutesy as it sounds, I'll put it on my To-Watch list, with a whole bunch of other stuff.

On the bright side, I'm watching Angel Beats faster than I had expected (the results of episode six are bullshit, but otherwise I like it a lot), so I can start K-On!! finally.
  • I dunno anything about it other than that it's a magical girl show, and it's based on... slot machine characters.  There was an OVA a couple years ago, but I never watched it so I dunno what to expect.

Also Angel Beats! just gets more bullshit as it goes on.  Though... it's kind of balanced out by a lot of awesome parts later on too, from what I remember.
    I've only watched through episode seven, but I nearly stopped flat-out after episode six, it was that bad.
  • edited 2011-07-04 17:09:31
    Yeah, that was probably the worst episode as far as totally stupid plot anti-twists and shittacular pacing (and starting plot threads that end up going nowhere interesting) goes.  Later episodes have similar problems, but not nearly to the same extent.
  • a little muffled
    Episode 6 was the Naoi one, right?
    Yes.
  • a little muffled
    Yeah, that one moreso than most of the show screamed "this storyline was supposed to last three times as long".
    That's not even what bugged me so much. More the way the whole issue was handled next episode, to be honest. I probably should have said as much sooner, to be more correct.
  • a little muffled
    Well, that's the thing. What happened to Naoi would probably have made a lot more sense if it hadn't been so sudden.
  • Popcorn Kernel Estrogen Rice Girls

I kind of want to watch this...
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Pretty Cure

Tokyo Mew Mew

Sweety Heart Mew Chan
  • You don't have to watch it... >.>

Though I will be watching it because... um... I dunno.  Because mahou shoujo, I guess.
  • edited 2011-07-04 23:08:07
    You do know that you don't have to watch them, right?

Slowninja
  • $80+ per session
    My favorite anime titles happen to belong to my favorite anime.

FLCL. Air Gear.
  • $80+ per session
    Popcorn Kernel Estrogen Rice Girls is about a normal, shy, highschool girl, that looks like middle schooler. She has a crush on a handsome classmate, but she is meek and gets taunted for it, despite being very cute. One day, while heating up some popcorn, the microwave explodes and she is visited by the Rice Girls. Fairies that were once human girls who have the power of Estrogen to fight evil monsters made of Testosterone.

She becomes a Rice Girl and whenever she eats popcorn, she turns into a very beautiful young girl with large breasts, ripping at her clothes. And she's just volunteered to be a movie critic for the school paper. Guess who's her cowriter? The handsome classmate.

The leader of the Rice Girls is a member of the Popcorn kernal alien race that takes the form of a cute little furry alien. He is actually recruiting Rice Girls so he can kill them all when they are powerful enough, and harness their estrogen, to prevent a growing black hole of testosterone from destroying the universe.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I should Liveblog Death Gaze, although it never existed now, because then imported animation would have been banned and Avatar TLA would have never been made.
  • edited 2011-07-05 14:30:51
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I want to watch Air Gear.

I have no current interest in watching FLCL.

Also, FLCL's title is weird.  It's Fuckin' LCL.
  • I have no idea what Air Gear is, and the picture on Wikipedia doesn't make me want to watch it.

FLCL is good though.