If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The trope "Ethical Slut".

edited 2011-04-30 20:59:26 in General
[tɕagɛn]
I really don't like this trope. It bugs me quite a lot, it's probably one of my least favorite tropes.

Comments

• edited 2011-04-30 21:00:38
    When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Isn't this just Hooker With A Heart Of Gold? 

Wait, after checking, it's not. Ah well. 
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^Well, without having to be an actual prostitute.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    there goes that word again
  • The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    Elaborate.
    What bugs me about that page is that its writeup is like eight times longer than it needs to be.
  • And how half of it is "An Ethical Slut is X sometimes but not all the time and not all X are Ethical Sluts unless they are."
  • edited 2011-04-30 21:11:43
    [tɕagɛn]
    It bugs me because I find promiscuity to be a sickening moral perversion, and this trope says that it's good. 

• edited 2011-04-30 21:13:45
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    No, it says that some works of fiction present it as good when present among other qualities.
  • You can change. You can.
    ...-sigh-

Chagen, every lifestyle is good as long as you don't hurt people nor yourself while you follow it. 

What is so hard about that? 
  • The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    Oh, it's a morality issue. Carry on...
  • Because I don't agree with it?

I just don't man. I actually wanted to make a thread about how having even the slightest conservative opinion gets you labeled as backwards.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    DO EET
  • Considering promiscuity a 'sickening moral perversion' is not a slight conservative opinion.

Plus, there's often the situation with you, Chagen, that you denounce things that you know little about in the strongest possible terms. It's a reliable sign that you need to do some research and ask people about the merits of what you're condemning before you re-evaluate your opinion.

Not jumping down your throat here, just offering some advice.
  • edited 2011-04-30 21:32:13
    Poot dispenser here
    Chagen, let me restate what Juan said, but like a person in the 90's would say:

Work that body, work that body, just make sure you hurt nobody.

EDIT: Just try and say that with a straight face, though.
  • I've already heard the merits, back when I was on TvTropes. I don't agree with it then and I don't agree with it now.
    Why do you consider promiscuity sickening?
  • I find sex to a be a sacred act and extremely serious. Promiscuity doesn't, and to me, it disrespects sex horribly.

To trade sex for money like it's a commodity is more even depraved to me.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    This thread is a lot less infuriating with Chagen on an ignore list. I shall define my JBMs on this thread.

The laconic says "A heroic character who believes that sex is good, and therefore a good
    thing for anyone to have with each other whenever they want."

So in other words the word "slut" is being used in the wrong context and makes it sound like the person in question is trying to justify their depravity in explicit sexual acts or prostitution.

Ethical Nympho would be a better alternative.
  • edited 2011-04-30 21:38:07
    Morgan Freeman is God
    Sex is just human instinct. Being against sex is like being against humanity itself.

/semi-serious
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    ^ Not everyone can have sex though. Which is why most Asexuals are against it.
    ^^He didn't claim to be against sex.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I find sex to a be a sacred act and extremely serious. Promiscuity doesn't, and to me, it disrespects sex horribly.

Why?
  • This is strange coming from a bisexual with a diaper fetish.
  • Morgan Freeman is God
    But sex isn't supposed to be serious in the animal kingdom. That's why it feels good. Species that reproduce more tend to do better, evolutionarily speaking.
  • edited 2011-04-30 21:55:46
    Has friends besides tanks now
    I have trouble finding the sacredness in sex at all; ultimately, it's flesh against flesh, with some fluids at the end, and in the seeming majority of cases, the most it does is it improves the emotional wellbeing of those involved (assuming we're discussing it separate from the motivations leading up to it and the long-term effects afterwards and all that jazz). If it really were 'sacred" and specifically designed to be undertaken only at the behest of some greater power for some morally-correct purpose such as procreation or validation of marriage, we wouldn't be able to use condoms or birth control pills as effectively in situations opposed to that imperative (not trying to start a religion argument here; just saying that sex isn't about morality, or right-and-wrong; it just is).

I used to think like Chuggles did about the issue, but then I grew up a bit realized that it doesn't define a person or change their personality for the worse and decided that, hey, it's pleasurable and, with proper measures taken, is harmless to those involved, what's the problem?
    I don't consider it to be that serious, at least not to the point that promiscuity would be immoral, though I doubt I'd do it with anyone but a long-term partner. People's views on things differ. 

Similarly, some people see meals as a time of companionship where people come together and talk while eating. I see them as a non-mandatory waste of time that I try to finish with as quickly as possible. Neither view is probably more correct.
  • You can change. You can.
    Chagen: Again, just because you wouldn't do something doesn't mean that everyone who does it is an immoral person.

If I agreed to have sex with someone right now, without any compromises, would you think I'm a bad person? Why? Because we had sex? A pleasurable activity between two people? There's nothing wrong with it as long as you respect the other person and make clear from the beginning that there's nothing more than pleasure going on. 

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Chagen you should relax a bit.
    Maybe go out get laid?
This discussion has been closed.