If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Legend of Zelda series

124»

Comments

• Okay, well it seems that I was able to make some sense of it...

But I still have no idea what the point is, other than screwing around.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    It's a speedrun tactic. It lets you skip the majority of the game.
  • edited 2011-04-30 16:26:35
    Ah.  Got it.
    Though I still question the value of speedruns that skip the entire game (lol Oblivion in like 10 minutes)...
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Sometimes it showcases interesting glitches and stuff, though really, you're either interested or not.

And as for 10 minutes, that's nothing. I saw one Castlevania game beaten in 17 seconds.
  • edited 2011-04-30 16:30:29
    Yeah, I know.  Also Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow in... however long it takes you to walk to the first patch of tall grass.  And you even get 152/151 Pokemon in your Pokedex!
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    What

Is there a video for that?
  • edited 2011-04-30 18:09:50
    The Pokemon one?

EDIT: It's actually more ridiculous than I thought it was, since he doesn't actually leave his house in this one.  I think it's a newer video than the one I was thinking of.

• Somewhat on topic but has anyone watched Legend of Zelda
    Abridged by adamwestslapdog?

• The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    Yes. I didn't like it.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    Someone hasn't played enough shitty games.

I do not play shitty games. My name may have been James once, but it was never James Rolfe.

Why do people call Zelda an RPG?

Because genres are more shorthand descriptors than meaningful labels and I honestly can't think of a better descriptor for Zelda than "it's a sorta-action game with some sorta-RPG elements" without spending paragraphs on it.
  • They're somethin' else.
    I just call it action adventure.
  • I recommend playing shitty games. It helps you understand good games better. Like listening to shitty music.
  • They're somethin' else.
    ^ Maybe
  • edited 2011-05-01 13:37:31
    Nah. It's true. I've learned probably more about game design from games that did it wrong. Although I've usually felt more inspired to create games by games that do things right, so you've really gotta play both.
  • edited 2011-05-01 13:55:06
    They're somethin' else.
    True. Not gonna pay for em though XD
  • That's lucky, because most of them are free.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I don't see how Zelda really has RPG elements except for the top-down 2D display format.

That said, I think the Zelda series is basically a top-down-display (or, in later games, 3D) metroidvania series.

Because that's what it is--you acquire powerups that let you access more and more areas, and you generally have a large world with various barriers to overcome that you get more and more access to as you get more powerups.

(Obviously, I don't buy the thing about metroidvanias having to be 2D platformers.)

As for why my friend dislikes Wind Waker: No, it had nothing to do with the cel shading (at least his stated reasoning didn't), nor the fact that OOT or MM came right before it.  He said it was because Link wanted to submerge the world while Ganon actually wanted to save it.  Or Ganondorf, whichever.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    I was exaggerating when I said I don't play shitty games, really. Since I don't read reviews, I often judge what to rent or purchase by "that sounds interesting," which does in fact lead to me playing shit.

I'm also really bad about giving stuff more than an honest chance to impress me, even if I can tell right from the opening level that its garbage. This is why I'm still trying to play Splinter Cell even though I just got done telling a friend in live conversation why its a piece of shit.

You're right though--playing it does make me appreciate Metal Gear Solid a lot more.
  • Besides the formulaic argument, I dislike the false dichotomy between the main-quest and side-quest games. Ocarina of Time vs. Majora's Mask, Phantom Hourglass vs. Spirit Tracks, etcetera: the games either have 8 or more dungeons, or cut the down the number of dungeons in favour of a more expansive and involved overworld. Can't we have a little more development time and have it both ways, or at least a more involved and less linear overworld like the first half of Twilight Princess?