If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Legend of Zelda series

Comments

• Writer, Artist, Obscure.
    Though it was all fine and dandy by Twilight Princess. Who knows, maybe that'll the Ganondorf finishing move from now on.

And don't worry, Cygan, wall banging is very appropriate.

I mean the person who I was talking about believed that Zelda should always be "Dark" and Wind Waker was not a real Zelda game for being too cartoony.

As much as I liked the game, the style is the art direction is the last flaw I'd be pointing out when traveling on the high seas is  too much padding (and I hate being on the water in video games to begin with.) and the search for thew triforce peices was ultimately the biggest and most annoying interrupt of flow in a game ever.

• The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    Though it was all fine and dandy by Twilight Princess.

Different timeline.
  • Wind Waker was fine, but that was really what people didn't like about it, since it followed Ocarina of Time, which was a huge game which already had a legacy behind it at that point, and the game that was essentially its sequel didn't live up to it, unsurprisingly. I liked it, but then I try not to take Zelda too seriously.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    ...Bu...bu... Majora's Mask was essentially the sequel!
  • The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    No one cares about Majora's Mask...
  • Well, in the timeline it's supposed to be the case, and MM comes sort of in the middle of OOT, but in another timeline? WW does make reference to OOT at some points as if it happened before, If I remember correctly.
  • edited 2011-04-30 07:38:38
    Kichigai birthday!!
    >No one cares about Majora's Mask...

">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">

Not meant to be taken seriously.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    • Well, in the timeline it's supposed to be the case, and MM comes sort of in the middle of OOT, but in another timeline? WW does make reference to OOT at some points as if it happened before, If I remember correctly.

Isn't it supposed to take place after OOT?
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    I think it's because of repetition. The games are really samey. What they do well is coming up with new ways to play that formula up.

There's a little bit of that too. But to be honest, what it really is, is that playing a Zelda game feels to me a little like going back to canned coke after discovering the bottled kind.

That is to say, I like action-RPGs, and usually I find dozens per console generation that do it better than Zelda. the 8-Bit generation had Ys, Crystalis and (arguably) Metal Gear. The 16-Bit had Illusion of Gaia, two different versions of Shadowrun, Secret of Mana, Crusader of Centy, Landstalker and Super Hydlide, the 32/64-bit had Mega Man Legends 1-2 and (arguably, depending on how you define "Action-RPG") King's Field, and so on and so forth.

So its not really so much "I dislike Zelda" as "I think every other game in the genre is better."
  • You can change. You can.
    ...canned coke is better. :P

But yeah, I can see where your coming from, but I don't think that's a valid reason to put the series down, you know? The whole there's something better.

When you're buying, it is, but if you can play both, then do it, I say.
    ^^^ It happens both after, and in the middle. If that makes sense. Link's taken out Ganon, then goes back to before he pulled the Master Sword. Which is the cause of the timeline split.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    So in one timeline, he advances to the future, and in one, he leaves the Master Sword in?
  • Writer, Artist, Obscure.
    Precisely. Basically a timeline where the "Ganon takes over" exists and one where that never happened. I think second one is the one that leads to Majora's Mask.

I do believe so.
    Indeed. The Ganon takeover leads to the WW->PH->ST timeline.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    but I don't think that's a valid reason to put the series down

Admittedly it doesn't make the series bad by any means, but it does make its flaws and redundancies ten times more apparent than they would be if I had never played anything but Zelda.

It's similar to being unable to get into Western Animation after discovering Anime (though for me, that sometimes happens in reverse).
    No, I know what you mean, don't worry. What Zelda does well, other series have perfected and all that, but it still has a charm of its own. -shrug-

• "So its not really so much "I dislike Zelda" as "I think every other game in the genre is better.""

"every other game"

Someone hasn't played enough shitty games.
    It's a generalization, Gelzo. I don't think he means every game. Just the ones he likes. 
  • It just kind of pisses me off when people say things like every when they mean most.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Why do people keep calling Zelda an RPG? Excluding the second game, there isn't a single RPG in the series.
  • Because the games occasionally put effort into their stories, which is a trait people mainly (used to) associate with RPGs?
  • edited 2011-04-30 15:45:52
    ^^ I've been wondering about that, too. The only argument I've heard is that "you're playing Link's role", which naturally would mean almost all games are RPGs.
  • edited 2011-04-30 15:49:23
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^That kinda makes sense, I guess, though that doesn't make it true.

^Yeah, I actually have heard that one. I always respond with "so Monopoly and Candyland are RPGs?"
  • Also I guess there's the thing with getting lots of different items, heart containers, better versions of the sword/shield, etc. that people sometimes interpret as being similar to leveling up and learning new abilities and such in RPGs.  Of course, this is mistaken, as it's more like adventure game elements + action game elements (thus... being an action/adventure game).  Plus I don't think I've heard people call Super Metroid an RPG, so...
    Hmm...is there a good argument for Zelda being a Metroidvania, if we ignore the idea that a Metroidvania has to be 2D?
  • Hm... I dunno.  Probably not.  Zelda games are generally a lot more explicit about telling you where to go, there's not really much exploration (because the dungeons are mostly linear and you have to go through pretty much the whole thing, whereas in a Metroidvania you usually only have to actually visit a smallish percentage of rooms in an area to complete whatever it is you're trying to do), not much backtracking, etc.
    True...maybe I've just spent too much time on the Reverse Bottle Adventure.
  • -Googles "Reverse Bottle Adventure"-

...that was definitely the most incomprehensible thing I've read in a while.
    Honestly, I don't understand it well enough to get that far in it, though I've gone through the first few steps on occasion.