If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Legend of Zelda series

edited 2011-04-28 17:26:56 in Media
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
This is a really popular game franchise.  However, I've never really felt that strongly about them.

I've played a Link to the Past and little bits of Zelda 1 and Link's Awakening.  They're decent games, though their interface for switching between weapons is a bit clunky and their dungeons are a bit tedious, especially the longer ones.

Also, as a non-fan outside of the fandom, it's sometimes hard for me to figure out what people are talking about.  The series lore isn't easily accessible--why is a bloody pile of pancakes called a "like-like" anyway?

I have had OOT and TP on my list of games to play for a while, but apart from them being Zelda games that ought to be in my gaming experience repertoire, I've found little urge to play them.

(Yes, this is a replacement thread for the other one which had massive derailing and shitstorm problems.  Don't repeat that, please.)

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    These are Like Likes. They are weird wormy things that eat you.

I find it's better if you put yourself on a self-imposed challenge while playing.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    lies all lies

I dunno. The Redeads make a fair bit of sense.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Octorocks have pretty reasonable names.
    They should have an epic battle music, their name is begging for it
  • I made it pretty far into playing OoT with only three hearts. Kinda lost interest after I think the water dungeon.

The lore isn't too tough unless you want to get into specifics. It generally goes like this:

1. Goddesses create the world and the Triforce- a magical artifact that grants the user a wish.
    2. Goddesses leave. At some point the Triforce gets locked in the "Golden Realm".
    3. Somehow it gets recovered. Ganon usually gets the Triforce of Power. Zelda is associated with the Triforce of Wisdom and Link with the Triforce of Courage. Each is a third of the entire Triforce.
    4. Pieces of the Triforce are scattered somehow. Link has to recover them and other artifacts to prevent Ganon from using their power to take over the world. Zelda is usually kidnapped at some point as part of Ganon's plot to recover the entire Triforce.
    5. Aaaaaaaadventure Time!
    6. The sages seal Ganon away, or Link otherwise causes Ganon's temporary death.
    7. Next game. Either Ganon awakens, Link gets reincarnated, and Hyrule undergoes some changes (start over at #3) or another big bad is involved with possibly the same Link as in another game.
    Of course, then you get into the two timestreams and everything gets trippy.
    The lore isn't too tough

Heh. Heheh.

unless you want to get into specifics

Oh. Well, fair enough, then.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    For all the time I went to secondary school I saw that someone had jumped the chain-link fence to the gas works and sprayed a triforce on it.

Coincidence?
  • edited 2011-04-28 17:46:46
    Writer, Artist, Obscure.
    Well, the games can either be part of one large and frightening mythos or be a bunch of stand alones that can be understood on their own. Depends on what sort of fan you are.

The weapon switching interface, I admit isn't a masterpiece, but it works for how it is, and I find that the Oracle games and Minish Cap have an easier one to work with than A Link To The Past (A Game I haven't finished yet.).

The 3D games are better about this though, where you can assign the items to three (or four in TP for the wii) buttons and the sword is it's own button. It'll really probably just depend on whether the game genre is your cup of tea or not.

And I don't really know why the pile pancakes tube shaped worm-like creatures that eat shields and clothes are called like-likes. I don't really know why anything is called anything, I basically just accept it as aprt of the world like any other game, or manga, or cartoon, or whatever. It's a sort of "Calla  Rabbit a Smeerp" sort of system I imagine. I mean why call a jumping skeleton a Stalfos instead of just a Skeleton? Why are the bats called Keese? I mean Goron makes sense from a Japanese sound effects point of view, but the pun is lost to english speakers.

EDIT: Okay, this only had three posts while I was writing this bloody thing.

• Yeah, the continuity of this series is notoriously hard to piece together.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Or maybe they did that so that we could get "dong" from "dodongo".
  • edited 2011-04-28 17:51:11
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I think it's because it's set in an alternate world.

It's actually good about that, not calling too many things by real-world names.

^^^ Oh, I wish.
    Honestly, it always seemed fairly simple to me, though there are a few games that could fit anywhere without impacting much.

• Nintendo knows enough to not cross the streams.
    It seems simple, until you think about it.

I can't remember. Twilight Princess is set in the OoT-line right?
    ^Um...what do you mean by "The OoT-Line?"
    Ocarina-of-Timeline
    Yes. Which timeline are you referring to when you say that?
  • edited 2011-04-28 17:59:07
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Adult Link timeline = OoTline.

Young Link timeline = MMline.

I think.
  • edited 2011-04-28 17:59:29
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^^Isn't it based on the Young Link timeline? Because it mentioned them trying to execute Ganondorf in TP's backstory, while in the Adult timeline, Ganondorf had already been killed.

^I see. In that case, I don't think so.
  • edited 2011-04-28 18:02:21
    Pony Sleuth
    IIRC, Ganon just got sealed away in OoT, not killed.
    ^Well, yeah, but the point is he's not there for the sages to execute like he is in the backstory to TP.
    Majora's Mask has Young Link in it.

@Funnyguts: This is why they say it's confusing!
  • ^^Can't he have just broken free? He's pretty fuckin' powerful.
  • edited 2011-04-28 18:07:43
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^Well, the sages are also dead in the Adult Link timeline. So there's that too.
  • edited 2011-04-28 18:11:06
    Writer, Artist, Obscure.
    I forgot how it diverges in Ocarina of time exactly but I recall one leads to Majora's Mask Then Wind Waker and it's sequels while the other goes to Twilight Princess.

I think timeline wise Ocarina of TIme is the first i nthe entire timeline since it's basically the Origin of Ganon and everything else talks about all the exploits and plans for him to be resurrected or him escaping the sacred realm to screw people over.

Which puts those games before The First Three Zelda games which go in the order of 3, 1, and 2 or so I'm told.

Link's Awakening is a Gaiden game that fits anywhere. Ocarina of Seasons and Ages could arguably fit anywhere since they seem to feature reincarnations of Impa (More mother bear than ninja) and Zelda (More plucky than elegant).

Minish Cap and the other four sword games I think are somehow tied together by the same theme and Vaati, the newer villain.

God this is confusing. And uh, no need to worry about all this GMH, this is merely the minutia of the dedicated/insane, nothing one of casual interest has to keep track of.

Majora's Mask and Wind Waker aren't in the same universe, as far as I know. Also, Vaati's technically the older villain, as Minish Cap takes place before Ocarina. Gimme a minute and I'll post my version of the timeline.
  • Yeah, the individual games do a pretty good job of making enough sense as self-contained stories. As far as I can tell, this kind of shit only happens when you try to connect the dots between the games.
    You have to connect the dots! Donn't leave them undone!
  • edited 2011-04-28 18:30:14
    Because you never know what you might see.
    Purportedly, the name "Like-Like" refers to a Hyrulian proverb of obscure meaning - "Shield-eaters [that is, Like-Likes] and world leaders have many likes alike".  I think this might have been a political Take That on the part of the people behind the Super Smash Bros. games, though.