If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Rottweiler got banned

Comments

• edited 2011-04-30 18:53:48
    Inside, too dark to read
    My reasoning is that he accused me of not being able "to get through a thread without calling someone an idiot". Not merely implying, by being as condescending as anyone else in OTC, calling. That is objectively false, yet he has the power to make and lift bans based on his perceptions, not because they're just but because he's owner.

Hence the sincere promise to obey and not annoy him in future (easy enough for an authoritarian to abide by).

Of course repeating what she said (and implicitly saying she has a point) puts you in an awkward position. I'll shut up about the mods and limit my point to how inconsistent rules are applied to commoners.

Oh, and none. What would compromise my morals was the position other people were floating that I should address condescending atheists who have never read any philosophy as intellectual equals.
  • edited 2011-04-30 18:59:32
    Because you never know what you might see.
    If they're being condescending, they should get used to people not wanting to debate with them.

But regarding "calling someone an idiot", like I said, I think that was an exaggeration and a reference to your use of that Batman meme, which he took completely literally.
  • edited 2011-04-30 19:04:15
    Inside, too dark to read
    @Bobby: And it would be wrong to tell him he made a false exaggeration as part of explaining myself.

Speaking truth is counter-productive, unless it's a true promise to obey. Of course, I also erred in phrasing the promise in a way he didn't want to hear. I appreciate you being patient with conveying what he does want to hear.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    It would be unwise to tell him he made a false exaggeration.  I don't think it would be unwise to explain that your use of the meme was just that, and that you didn't mean to offend anyone with it, and perhaps that you'll be more careful in future, if you feel comfortable promising that.
  • Inside, too dark to read
    I don't think it would be unwise to explain that your use of the meme
    was just that, and that you didn't mean to offend anyone with it,

That's what I would say, yes.

I could also say that I will refrain from repeating internet memes in the future as unbecoming a gentleman, if that wouldn't offend him.
  • edited 2011-04-30 19:30:00
    Because you never know what you might see.
    I don't think that would offend him.  Might be excessive, not sure.

Eddie hates most Internet memes, anyway.
  • edited 2011-04-30 19:42:26
    Inside, too dark to read
    All right, I just wanted to check that he wouldn't take offense at the interpretation that if someone says "How are you gentlemen", he isn't one. :-p
  • edited 2011-04-30 22:39:59
    Patrol Time
    Ok my turn to apologize for being a heathen uncultured ass :P

Rott: I apologize for being overleyharsh and unfair towards you a page or so back.
  • edited 2011-05-01 15:37:02
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Oh. my. freakin'. goodness.

I would just like to say, as a mod, that I'm keeping this thread open mainly because the banned individual in question and a current mod on the site he was banned from are able to talk to each other.

Now, as a member, time to respond to some of the things said since I last checked this thread.  You people keep on generating walls of text...

ROTTWEILER WROTE: "humility is not believing oneself superior than others, simple as that." The
    logical consequence of that is that everyone's beliefs are equally
    valid, no matter how well or poorly they match the truth. That's
    nonsense, not orthodoxy.

Um, Rotty, I think this gets to one of the points that I've made to you repeatedly, time and time again.

You assume that people's philosophical and religious beliefs define who they are and are the most important part of them.

The vast majority of people--at least on TV Tropes and IJBM--do not think that way, about their own lives OR about other people's.

Just because someone is not a Christian or not a classical conservative or doesn't like reading philosophy textbooks DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY ARE BENEATH YOU.
    You assume that people's philosophical and religious beliefs define who they are and are the most important part of them.

You're right. I keep assuming people place a high value on reaching true beliefs through reasoned dialogue.

That false assumption must get annoying, but I tell you honestly it was an error of love rather than a love of error.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    First, not all beliefs are verifiable; those that are not literally cannot be true (or untrue).  This includes many philosophical and religious beliefs.

Second, reasoned dialogue is by no means necessary to craft a set of beliefs around which one builds one's life around.

Third, most people do not consciously build their life around a set of beliefs.  If you thought they do, then you are greatly mistaken about human nature.  What people build their lives around is the cultural norms that they encounter and accept (sometimes with tweaking) and/or form on their own.

Some people try to distill these cultural norms into sets of philosophical/religious/political beliefs.  Some other people then assign themselves to various sets of such beliefs, for various reasons.  However, identifying with such beliefs does not mean that their lives are build around them.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Most people are simple and don't like thinking over such matters. Their loss, yes, that's true.
    What people build their lives around is the cultural norms that they encounter and accept (sometimes with tweaking) and/or form on their own.

Yes, exactly.

Of course, some cultures claim to make the pursuit of truth through dialogue ("freedom of speech") a cultural norm. But enough. I can't possibly express liberal paradoxes as eloquently as Maistre did, so I'll drop it.
    By the way, Rott, have you ever noticed that you seem to talk about philosophy and reference philosophers all, the, time?

It would be really helpful if you could explain your point without using citations.

And I've never, ever, heard of interpreting freedom of speech as "the pursuit of truth through dialogue".  The point of freedom of speech was to prevent the government from quashing dissent; it had nothing to do with philosophical "pursuit of truth".
  • edited 2011-05-01 16:10:22
    Inside, too dark to read
    @GMH: The justification for it was laid out in Milton's Areopagitica as strengthening society through exchange of truth claims--

Whoops, that cited a source!

Anyway, does 737 posts make this the longest thread on your forum? I think...

shades

It's gotten Boeing.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!
    Sir Rottweiler, may I humbly suggest that:

1. You need not cite sources for every concept, and it perfectly acceptable to simply talk about the ones you agree without citations?
    2. You seem somewhat stuck in an ivory tower?
    The second is not a suggestion...
    It was a suggestion of understanding.

...okay, fine.
    A better phrasing would have been: "May I suggest that you leave your ivory tower once in a while?" Or something along those lines.
    ^ That phrasing seemed more insulting, so I didn't want to use it.
    Then suggest is not the proper verb for your list: "say" would have been more appropiate.
    Okay, fine.

Sir Rottweiler, I do say, you seem somewhat stuck in an ivory tower.
  • edited 2011-05-02 07:37:58
    Mexican fag
    I was there, I remember what happened.

So apparently for some reason I cannot discern Leigh Sablo defended him.
  • edited 2011-05-02 07:37:53
    Mexican fag
    blank'd.
  • Quit being a whiny bitch and man up.
    @Bobby: You're getting disillusioned? Fuck, you're supposed to be the sane one.
  • edited 2011-05-02 09:18:41
    Mexican fag
    Bobby's getting disillusioned?
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Hahaha wut.  No, I'm the drunken, soft-hearted, soft-headed one, remember?  Don't worry, I'm not about to go nuts.  Or turn into any of the other mods, if that's what you're suggesting.

Also, lol @ suggestion that citations are a bad thing.  Citations aren't the problem, Glenn.

Overreliance upon them, maybe.
    Citations themselves aren't the problem, but when they are all over the place, and everywhere I turn I see another one, forcing me to have to take some time to mentally remove the bells and whistles in order to extract meaning from the text...yeah.
  • Citing sources isn't the problem; dumping sources on everyone else and expecting them to actually go read all of The Republic or whatever to continue an argument on the internet is.
    I HAVE RETURNED!