If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Xbox One Gripe Thread

Comments

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

I know this has been posted on IJBM before, but I still think it's worth sharing here.

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

I actually don't think Windows 8 is that bad.

It really depends on the hardware you run it on.

If the hardware was built for Windows 8, it doesn't run bad, but don't upgrade if you computer wasn't built with 8 in mind.

If the hardware was built for Windows 8

As far as I can tell, this basically means "If the hardware includes a touchscreen that you won't mind using more than you use a traditional mouse".

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-05-24 00:09:18

I was going to post specifics, but minus the histrionics, that video was pretty much what I was going to say.  It's a tablet OS that's kinda shitty even for tablets, shoehorned into a PC and oblivious to the different priorities involved in using such.

It's halfway usable if your computer exists solely for email and iTunes, but as far as doing anything, you're hosed.

Seriously, they put almost all the key system components in a fucking invisible bar that isn't even named anything indicative, sounds like a class at Hogwarts, and is called by clicking and holding on empty space.

And on that note, LOL.

• No rainbow star
    Nintendo also fucked up, at least with the Wii U

The new gen of consoles is... Yeah
  • edited 2013-05-24 11:16:01
    a little muffled

What's so bad about the Wii U? What little I've played has seemed fine.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^It's gimmick isn't as interesting as the Wii's was, poor launch titles, etc.

• a little muffled

True, but I'd call that more of just a disappointment than a proper fuck-up.

• No rainbow star
    I mean that they fucked up the launch. It was woefully underadvertised, which can be a death sentence
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Nintendo does have quite enough market penetration that it can run on brand reputation alone for a bit.

•  

With games like these, I think the Wii U will be fine.

• Update: Apparently the Xbox One won't require a fee for used games, but it will require a connection to the internet.

In order to play a game, you'll have to go through regular "authentication checks" that require an internet connection.

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

Yay confusing marketing!

• Kichigai birthday!!
    I just read this on /v/ so take it with a grain of salt, but apparently the console would be illegal in Germany due to the Kinect always on thing

BANNED IN GERMANY

• No rainbow star
    ^^ Why would that make it illegal?
  • Presumably surveillance laws.

• edited 2013-05-30 00:35:27
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

...well, it honestly doesn't matter how much it sucks, because it's gonna come preloaded on every major manufacturer's computers and thus people will use it anyway.

It really does pain me every time I think about not only how true this statement is, but also that it's been the case for about 15 years or so, and that we don't know how much longer Microsoft will remain the dominent player in the computer OS market just because the average user does not know enough about the market to make an informed choice regarding which system they use, let alone install said system all by themselves.

I don't know about you, but I'd say now is probably a better time than ever for Canonical to start putting Ubuntu ads on TV.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-05-30 01:27:47

At least previous iterations of Windows weren't completely fucking unusable.  Buggy and insecure at times, but not the overwhelming level of shit as 8.

I mean hell, I even got Vista to cooperate after a while, and the only reason my parents' XP sucks is because my dad is a lot less savvy than he thinks and picked up like 400,000 viruses.

• The most depressing thing about Windows 8's interface, to me, is that we're likely stick with it (or something like it) for the next few major Windows versions, at least. Microsoft is the kind of company that refuses to admit when they've massively fucked something up, as evidenced by the fact that they're still putting that shitty "ribbon" interface in apps after like 5 years. 

I'm finding a surprising number of non-negative reviews of Win8, which makes me wonder and also makes me worry.

• edited 2013-05-30 09:38:43

I assure you that most of those positive reviews are coming from people who have touchscreens with which to operate their Windows 8 computers.

• The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

http://www.wimp.com/xboxone/
    Also windows 8 needs more classic shell

• ^^ Or are on tablets and do almost nothing but viewing shit online.

• edited 2013-06-01 14:24:04
    Loser

Just get a 3DS

Seriously though, I hope the Kinect "always on" thing gets sorted out before the Xbox One releases. I think it would be a shame if problems with privacy laws made it difficult to release in certain countries. Plus, it seems like privacy can sometimes get taken for granted with technology (e.g., Facebook) and I feel like releasing a console with an "always on" default might end up encouraging that mentality.

Thankfully, it sounds like Microsoft understands some of those concerns and is at least going to make the Kinect camera be something you can turn off and such. I am not sure if what they plan on doing will be enough to really solve what people see as the underlying problem, but at least they are not oblivious to people's concerns.

• Windows pretty much reached it's pinnacle with XP. 

• a little muffled

Windows 7 is a perfectly fine operating systems.

• edited 2013-06-01 19:16:54

Yeah, Windows 7 is actually fairly good. I can understand why some people still prefer XP, but at least 7 is far from being absolutely horrible.

Also, @Zennistrad, I think this thread could use a title change now that one of the claims in it has been disproven...

• edited 2013-06-01 20:47:55

You can change thread titles?

EDIT: Apparently, the answer to that is yes.