If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Adblock gate

edited 2013-05-18 18:47:36 in Webspace

So recently, blip found a way around adblock, making you turn it off or watch a lengthy screen asking you to please turn off adblock.

A lot of people are very angry about this, because blip is where a lot of internet critics host their stuff. The internet critics, however, are a bit annoyed about people complaining to them about this, because they make money off of those ads.

I personally, don't see what the big deal is. 30 seconds of some video game to pay some critic I like seems like a fair deal.

Comments

• edited 2013-05-18 20:12:23

mod edit: okay, no.

• edited 2013-05-18 20:13:01

mod edit: don't threadshit; this includes your own threads.

• You know, I actually did see that. It was interesting to say the least.
    But perhaps it has to do more with perception than actual care for time conservation.

You're right in that 30 seconds to watch a several minute video isn't gonna tax on anyone who wanted to watch the video in the first place, the fact that you can very easily tab out during the advertisement just further removes any kind of weight it would have.

But Ad revenue in terms of internet videos has become a bigger thing recently. Usually Ads were seen as mere distractions that could be blocked and removed, factor this in with supposedly "free" nature of several internet videos and it becomes obvious why most people would use automated adblocking programs.

Or in short >Wide-shift for Internet videos to ad-based revenue.
    >consumer perception of free videos.
    >advertisements built-up reputation of being mostly white noise prompting ad-blocking programs.

• Fuck you, Myrmidon. No one cares about your stupid internet reviewers and your--

Curses, foiled again!
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

As far as I can tell, I don't see an end to this arms race.  Internet ads are like, the easiest way to monetize web content of pretty much any sort, and there are a ton of people who write commentaries and make videos etc., which clearly have a non-zero demand, but which clearly also have a consumer base that is not particularly willing to pay much money to enjoy them.  Their de facto (though sometimes begrudgingly) allies are web ad companies, who really want to prove that their ads actually have people receiving them (through visual or aural means) in order to prove to their patrons that they're actually worth something.

• How do they tell if it's blocked?  Doesn't adblock accept the swf but just prevent it from running?

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-05-19 04:08:20

Huh.

Personally, I'm not opposed to "watch a quick ad before we show you stuff", though I'm leery of stuff like Youtube's recent tendency for the ad to often be longer than the video, or to make you pick between ads and 2/3 of the possibilities are half-hour infomercials.

What I'm opposed to is ridiculous banner ad swfs put together by Newgrounds rejects that have no goddamn idea how to optimize anything.  15 seconds of time for an ad is one thing, but hamstringing the entire page for the full duration of use because some advertising dumbfuck couldn't be arsed to learn why abusing high-res MovieClips for static images and gradient/blur filters all over the place is a bad idea...that stuff is unacceptable.

I'm still bitter about the V ads back on TV Tropes.  That shit locked up my entire system so badly and for so long that it's when I got Adblock.

Do you mean those animated ads that would lock up the site until they were done playing?

Ugh, those were just patently offensive.

• I don't mind ads. If these people are producing content that I'm enjoying, then why shouldn't I spend around 5 seconds watching the beginning of an advert for them?

One thing I do like is when the ads don't match the content and I end up seeing an advert for something I really do not give less of a shit about.

• a little muffled

I don't mind ads. If these people are producing content that I'm enjoying, then why shouldn't I spend around 5 seconds watching the beginning of an advert for them?
    When it's just that, it's fine. The problem is when you have to watch a thirty-second ad at the beginning, another one halfway through, and another one at the end of a five minute video. Or when ads pop up over top of a live stream causing you to miss things. Or, as Bee points out, when the ad causes your computer to slow down like crazy.

For the longest time I chose not to use ad blockers because I felt like I should help support sites I like, but enough of these things piled up that I eventually gave in. I do wish ABP could work with a blacklist rather than a whitelist though. (I.E. allow ads by default but block them on sites with really obnoxious ones.)

I like the Youtube ads that allow me to skip them after five seconds.

Because if I'm interested in the ad, I'll actually let it play through.

• I'd prefer if Adblock whitelisted ads not by site, but based on computational resource.

Like, allow the nice compact static images and gifs, but block the Newgrounds art projects.

Isn't that something that they're trying to do?

• Pretty much.

• I wish there were a way to support the content creators without supporting Blip itself.

Because, y'know, Todd in the Shadows is a cool guy, he deserves to be paid for his work. But Blip, for whatever reason, seems unable to put together a video player that isn't a glitchy pile of shit.

Also, it seems like every time I look I get that same infuriating seat belt ad. >_<