If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

achievements in video games

edited 2013-04-05 15:03:31 in Media
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Some of them are quite pointless.

I can understand achievements in order to recognize easter eggs, in-depth features, funny coincidences, etc.

However, there shouldn't be achievements for beating the first level, beating the basic game, and the like.

Comments

• But you never had any to begin with.

They can be used by friends to see how far you are into the game. People like to compete, after all.

• ^That's how I use them, actually- to see how much of the game is left. Also, they're good for continuing to dink around in a game that's finished story-wise.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I'd saying an achievement for completing the main part of the game is fine. 

That said, I agree with the general sentiment. There are too many achievements uncreatively based around things every player is going to do anyway. They can be a way to add another, implicit difficulty level for challenge gamers or a means to reward lateral thinking. Or any other range of things. One avenue is that achievements could even be a surreptitious continuation of the tutorial, where you unlock said achievements for properly executing advanced gameplay actions.  

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> There are too many achievements uncreatively based around things every player is going to do anyway.

This is exactly my point.

• >Thought this was a thread where you brag about your achievements in games.

Oh. My bad.

• On the Xbox, you MUST have a certain amount of gamerscore in your game. A lot of developers don't give a shit, so they throw in achievement for simple reasons.

I know that if made a game, I'd have only one achievement "You pushed start."

• The way the SDK advises you to organize achievements is to stagger them out at "reasonable intervals of progression" without asking them to go too far out of their way to keep the player interested in collecting them.

• edited 2013-04-05 16:24:47

I would much rather have all the achievements be things like "beat half the game," "beat the main story," "did the secret dungeon," etc. than nonsense like "died 30 times on the same level" or "threw a basketball into a hoop during a cutscene" since the latter tends to be not only unfun but actively detrimental to me having fun with the rest of the game (well, that or I feel like I'm missing out because I'm not getting all the achievements, which is usually a less bothersome feeling but it's still something).

• No rainbow star
    At least with Minecraft it makes sense, since the acheivements are basically the tutorial
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-05 16:53:50

My favorite achievements are usually of the "do weird shit" or "mildly break the game" sort.  Grind is generally a bad idea though.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I like achievements when they unlock stuff.

Otherwise I tend to just sort of tune them out.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

The sort of achievements you guys complain of, also cause a different problem. If the notification appears on the screen, like in Dragon Age, they sort of break immersion. Instead of a romance subplot, you get "*ka-ching!* Digital chick nailed!".

• They can be used by friends to see how far you are into the game. People like to compete, after all.

Also, corporations and game developers can see how much of their game was played. It's a pretty handy tool for them actually if I'm not mistaken.

• Yeah, achievement-based humour is pretty immersion-breaking.