If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Realistic" Pokemon

edited 2013-03-02 10:51:41 in Media
No rainbow star
I hate when they completely disregard the BASE MATERIAL

Gastly line gets a pass as he's trying to basecthe stuff on actual fauna and flora, and he did an amazing job at catching their appearance

Honchcrow? Beautiful job

Dragonite? They are clearly reptiles. And don't give me the dragons don't exist shit mr artist. They are still reptiles and besides, you made Charizard... A dragon

Aggron is supposed to have armour on it

Espeon has fur you dolt look at the dex entry

Look at the fucking official art for Vaporeon. Look at its legs. Yes legs. Not flippers. Now why did you give Vaporeon fucking flippers!?

Not even sure how he messed up Umbreon. It's like he randomly decided that Umbreon should grow a neck

Garchomp is slender and has longer spike hands

SCYTHER IS A FUCKING BUG AND CLEARLY HAS WINGS AND SCYTHES ON IT IT IS NOT A GOD DAMNED DINOSAUR!

Zoroark is more slender than that and just... Gah

Yes, Mew IS based on an embryo. Good for you! ...It also is clearly stated to have fur

Stopping here as gah fuck this guy

Comments

• He made Arcanine into a tiger. that's silly.

• edited 2013-03-02 11:29:23
    But you never had any to begin with.

...It would kinda defeat the point of the entire exercise if they were 100% true to their original designs.

• ...It would kinda defeat the point of the entire exercise if they were 100% true to their original designs.

Some of his rant does seem to be a bit... missing the pointlicious in that regard, but how does a member of the Canine family provoke images of felines?

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

"Realistic" [your franchise here] is more often than not shorthand for either ejjy as fuqq [your franchise here] or "I want to draw fanart for this but I can't draw in that style".

• But you never had any to begin with.

Arcanine is based on komainu/lion-dogs, so it's not a huge leap to make.

• Arcanine is based on komainu/lion-dogs, so it's not a huge leap to make.

I figured it wasn't a shot from the darkness, but the naming convention of it doesn't sit well with me, most certainly because it isn't conveyed that this would be a "Lion-dog".

• I'm a damn twisted person
    I dunno man I always figured Scyther split the difference between a mantis and a Utah raptor.
  • a little muffled
    Also it shows Bulbasaur KOing a Ninjask with a Grass attack. Now that's just silly.
  • edited 2013-03-02 14:19:10

Venusaur is a horny toad with a Rafflesia flower growing out of its back. Your argument is invalid.

But seriously, it's pretty clear that the general emphasis with these designs is (a) starting with real creatures (or in the case of the dinosaur-based designs, the most common depictions of those creatures) that look vaguely similar to the original artwork and going from there and (b) continuity between evolutions, which is why Dragonite looks like a giant salamander.

• I was pretty sure Nidoking's supposed to be bigger than that.

• You can change. You can.

Part of the point of a realistic redesign involves

you know

redesigning the characters

• What a crappy OP.
  • lol Arfeline

Still my favorite

• Charizard is pretty dragon-like to me.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Some of them are pretty stupid though.

• SCYTHER IS A FUCKING BUG AND CLEARLY HAS WINGS AND SCYTHES ON IT IT IS NOT A GOD DAMNED DINOSAUR!

Heh. Reminds me of this guy:

space_dinosaur

He's called a "space dinosaur", but he design is pretty clearly a giant bug man. (more apparent when viewed from behind)

And this version looks even more bug-like.

HYPER space dinosaur

Some of them are pretty stupid though.

Maybe so, but criticizing a redesigning project for not sticking to the source material is all kinds of missing the point, though. 

• Maybe so, but criticizing a redesigning project for not sticking to the source material is all kinds of missing the point, though.

Then again, your target audience is probably gonna be, fans of the source material, so it would be due to remember that when creating a sort of remix like this.

Then again, Remixes are kind of like Sequels, and Sequels are known for disappointing fans.

• @MillerCross isn't that the kind of criticism you hear regarding say, comic-based movies?

Yes. And it's still mostly dumb then. 

• No rainbow star

Ok, I got to talk to the guy

After apologizing for being a little aggressive (must have been grumpy that day...), he explained some of his choices such as Minx's actually having a fine layer of fur, making it a solid choice for Espeon (that's what was ticking me off about that. I thought he ignored the fur) and a few other choices

...Still nothing on Vaporeon's flipper-legs, Umbreon's neck beard, or Scyther the mother fucking dinosaur, though

• edited 2013-03-06 12:18:23
    Definitely not gay.

Dragonite looks pretty derpy in-canon, so I'll give that a pass.

Tyranitar kicks ass. It is exactly how I envisioned it.

Scyther's cool and all, I just can't get over the fact that it looks too much like T-tar.

Zoroark is awesome. OP's opinion is wrong.

Yeah, Mew looks pretty stupid, but that's because the artist needs it to at least superficially resemble Mewtwo. The guy was clearly going for a biological horror design for 'two, and I think it's pretty badass.

Aggron is a fucking Styracosaurus. If that isn't awesome you are either brain dead or blind.

Venusaur straddles the line between toad and bearded dragon perfectly. 

That's...actually a lot how I pictured Reshiram.

Garchomp is just...fuck. That is not Garchomp. That is not Garchomp. That is an obese shark wearing a Garchomp cosplay he made in two hours. There is so much wrong with that picture I don't even

Garchomp is supposed to be primarily theropod! It has some hammerhead shark elements, yes, but it is essentially a dinosaur! You just made it a shark and attached some dinosaur legs and blaurgh

• I'm now imagining bad Pokemon cosplay.  Like, not people cosplaying as Pokemon, but Pokemon cosplaying and sucking miserably.

Inevitably, there's a Pikachu wearing a cardboard box that says "Porygon" and scowling intensely for the camera.

• No rainbow star
    ^^ I won't argue that Aggron isn't awesome. It's just missing the armour
  • I like how Krabby (and to a slightly lesser extent, Turtwig) is indistinguishable from its real counterpart.

• No rainbow star
    NOW I know why Zoroark looks too bulky! It's missing its bushy tail!
  • JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Despite being pretty indifferent to Pokémon, I have to admit that some of these are actually very cool. I particularly like the Bulbasaur line.

Not sure I entirely get the Scyther ranting, though. Really, the redesign is pretty close to the original design despite the supposed insectoid intent of the original.

Mewtwo scares me.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

A Scyther redesign that's close to the original design.

• edited 2013-03-07 08:23:31
    Definitely not gay.

^ The art is wonderful, don't get me wrong. It's just that I really don't like the program that was made with.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

There's a few problems with it, yeah.

I just think it's a nice example of a redesign of Scyther that tries to stick to the original design of Scyther, rather than interpreting it as dinosaur-like or anything like that. This one is very clearly insectoid, and still resembles Scyther.