If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Animation Thread

124»

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know

So today I watched Barbie in the Pink Shoes and the first quarter of so was a funny and somewhat witty love letter to ballet to the point that I kind of wondered how this was supposed to keep kids attention since it was lots and lots of ballet... then it turns into a generic mess and I think the lesson is "Just do whatever you want!" because that's what Kristin/Barbie does and she never gets in trouble for it, in fact she gets super amazing whenever she does it.

Also now I've watched every CG Barbie movie, someone give me an award.

• edited 2013-09-29 12:05:20

Not until you marathon the Hot Wheels cartoons. And maybe that He-man remake. (I would totally help you with that one if I remembered to buy the DVD set that's been going for super cheap)

• edited 2013-09-29 12:41:38
    There is love everywhere, I already know

you marathon the Hot Wheels cartoons

I can only take CGI for so long also Battle Force Five is terrible.

And maybe that He-man remake.

This I can do. Then She-Ra! Then Jem! Because she's apparently truly outrageous in the 80s or something (Though Jem is Hasbro, apparently).

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
  • edited 2013-12-23 08:42:24
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Doublepost. I knew we have a general animation thread, and this film is endearingly retro. Looks like some indie animation from the Seventies, or an old-timey video game cinematic. By the way, I wonder if this thread should be added to the list of general media threads in Useful Threads.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Hmm, I wonder if it's fine if I do a triplepost, or should I rather have added that to the previous one. Anyway, I've been on a bit of a short animation binge. Here are two I've picked:

"Windmills"- by, appropriately enough, The Windmill Team, names you can find in the description. I guess this is supposed to have some meaning, but I guess it's pretty enough on its own. Browse through the comments if you want interpretations, but I think it's just as fine to simply enjoy the art.

"Changing Batteries" - animation's not the first thing people see when they think of Malaysia, eh? Well, now it certainly seems they'd be in for a big mistake. I'm posting it as a bit of a challenge. Try yourselves. How tough you are. ;_; Heh heh heh.

• Kichigai birthday!!

http://art-eater.com/2010/07/test-1-darkstalkers/

This is more videogame related than most posts in this thread but Darkstalkers is one of my favourite games and the article is pretty interesting

• I watched Cycle yesterday. I am thoroughly confused.

• Art-Eater's pretty cool. Really liked their article on Asura's Wrath.

• They're somethin' else.

^^^ Thank you so much for linking that.

• edited 2014-07-25 13:14:04
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

So, this thread so far had been mostly devoted to web-based animation, but back at the first page there was some talk about Legend of Korra, which I've recently been watching (see what TVT does with people?), so I guess I'll throw in something more.

So, I've found out there's a local section of Nickelodeon (the channel). Never heard of it, I'd probably have needed some good cable TV to watch it. Anyway. I've decided to take a look, most curious about the voice acting and translation. A bit lagging behind the American version, expectedly, they've got the first half of the first season. Kiddie entertainment, which, in the end, Legend of Korra is, is still watched primarily by kids around here. This kinda, in my opinion, reflects on the quality of the translation. I do think there were better ways to translate bending and benders than as magic and wizards. Magic's what it looks like most of the time, but - disregarding the word "weaving" used once in a while to describe the art - there could have been a better word for it. Like I said above, I guess they just figured most of their viewers wouldn't care about it. 

As for voice acting, they sound a bit forced, and some voices differ to what I've heard in the Anglophonic version. Video games tend to be localized better than that (sometimes they sound better than in English), so again I guess the reason's the expectations of a typical viewer.

• edited 2014-09-18 14:01:52

"Le Gouffre" (Don't worry, not as French as it sounds.)

Just finished watching Ever After High: Spring Unsprung. It was quite a forty minutes I spent watching a thing. Alistair Wonderland basically having a harem of all the girls from wonderland (half of whom are half animal BTW) was weird. At least he ended up not doing anything and making the girls look bad (best part was when he exclaims they still have to break the book curse and Lizzie takes the book from him and solves it five seconds).

Weird part was how Briar seemed to care very little about the Storybook of Legends considering she sent it to Wonderland. At least this time they remembered to feature the main girls from the doll line prominently in the story (Thronecoming was really weird about that). Also I swear if Road Way To Wonderland (or Into The Woods depending on which one comes first) has to start with "THIS IS NOT THE TRUE STORYBOOK OF LEGENDS" I will explode.

Lots of plot holes, but Evil Apple was worth it (Evil Ashlynn much less so, she was pretty gross). Really annoyed that Darling Charming had to pretend to be some masculine white knight character considering I don't think Ginger would've minded.

Also do the Charming brothers not know that their sister is constantly missing from campus since she's using a secret entrance to get to Wonderland everyday?
  • edited 2015-07-30 17:17:39

"Wanderers" - a short film by Erik Wernquist

Quite a good one. By the way, shouldn't this thread be linked to in Useful Threads? (edit: replaced a link to Vimeo with a link to the creator's website.)

Okay I'm currently one movie behind but I really still deserve a prize.
  • edited 2020-01-20 14:10:37
    [17:32:48] So Barbie Spy Squad was actually okay, even had sparkly gowns for 5 minutes
    [17:32:59] Wouldn't even mind more Barbie movies in this vein
    [17:34:56] And I think this is the first Barbie movie ever where the Ken doll character was in love with one of Barbie's friends (or does Keira and the prince from the Princess and the Popstar count even though Keira was technically a Barbie character in that)
    where's my prize people

Anyways, next is Star Light Adventure and I'll try really hard not to like that.

Also watched Ever After High - Dragon Games. Actually enjoyed it because it addressed a lot of the issues I had with the series and it finally acted as a serviceable special for the series by having every character not Crystal Winter appear (usually the new characters who come out right before aren't in it but this time even the characters that aren't out yet had lines).
    So has anybody else heard of HarmonQuest? It's actually a pretty enjoyable live-action/animation/TTRPG thing.
  • edited 2016-09-11 03:16:58
    Since this thread began with RWBY, lemme just say: holy shit, Volume 3 was great, Monty's death notwithstanding.

I'm hyped for Volume 4.
  • I've been wondering something since watching that last episode: would it be possible for Yang to get the same kind of prosthetic that Mercury has? She could still have a hard time and be affected by the loss of her arm instead of just going "Oh, I can get a new one, so everything's okay"; like maybe if you get a robotic limb in this world, you have to go through a long physiotherapy-like process in order to be able to control it, and that might frustrate Yang enough to make her want to quit and climb back into bed forever. But eventually, she could overcome it, work hard, and finish with two working arms again.
  • I will say she can because we've seen it before, but we're not sure if it'll actually happen.
  • edited 2020-01-20 14:10:00
    I've hard a hard time finishing Barbie and her Sisters In a Puppy Chase, mostly because Barbie Sister movies are the worst part of the canon.

Having sat down to watch it over four times, the ending finally rewards me with a scene where a little girl puts all her effort into a dance routine and performs pretty well but as she's about to receive the trophy for the dance competition she was in Barbie's youngest sister, Chelsea, shows up and says she needs to be part of the competition even though she was ridiculously late and then she completely screws up her routine.

But then a bunch of horses and dogs and her sisters come on stage and dance around her whilst she barely moves around and she wins instead.

I mean, frankly it's much less dumb that Monster High: Great Scarrier Reef's ending, but it was still pretty annoying.