If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General politics thread (was: General U.S. politics thread)

Comments

• Oh god, one of these folks.

I have autism and it wasn't from vaccines, you dumbass.
  • Hehehehe.
  • "In a mad world, only the mad are sane!"-Akira Kurosawa, Ran
    Vote Stein, it gets rid of neuronormies. 
  • Serocco wrote: »
    Oh god, one of these folks.

I have autism and it wasn't from vaccines, you dumbass.

LOL, okay, this is kind of funny because it might be my own autism preventing me from being able to tell whether you're taking him seriously or not. But if you are, you shouldn't be. He doesn't think vaccines cause autism.
  • I'm a girl, by the way. ^^;
  • I'm a girl, by the way. ^^;

Oops, sorry! I'll remember that.
  • Conventional wisdom says Trump would destroy the down ballot Republicans.

Except he's not. They're leading the Senate.
  • "In a mad world, only the mad are sane!"-Akira Kurosawa, Ran
    My money's on Clinton giving Trump a fatal infection at the first debate, but the Republicans still winning with their back-up candidate.
  • edited 2016-09-12 23:44:55
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Serocco wrote: »
    Conventional wisdom says Trump would destroy the down ballot Republicans.

Except he's not. They're leading the Senate.

I wouldn't be so sure until we've actually seen it play out, because a lot of polling involves various forms of estimation, such as estimating the turnout from different groups of people.

Also, here's an example of the pessimism that I and others criticize you for: when current polls predict a Dem Senate majority, there's little word about it but when current polls predict a Repub Senate majority, you point out how they're leading.  And not only that, you basically just stop there.  No requests for donations, no qualifying comments, no suggestions for what candidates should do, no commentary on trends, not even citing the poll numbers themselves.  (Only reason I know what you're talking about is because I saw the stuff on electoral-vote.com this morning.  A bunch of Marist College polls.)
  • edited 2016-09-13 07:59:27
    In Ohio, I can point out that Portman is the most boring man in America, very uncontroversial, very bland, and that contrast with the bombastic Trump means he's ahead of both Trump and Strickland right now.

In Florida, Rubio is better known than Murphy, and that helps Rubio. If both of those states stay Republican, it's gonna be hard to flip the Senate. His lead is in the single digits, compared to Portman's double digits, but you only need one point to win in FPTP.
  • Stein's position on vaccines is *nuanced* because she depends on the support of hippies like me, many of whom distrust big business on principle. But she's not anti-vax by any stretch.

By that reasoning, you'd have to be "skeptical" about basically anything modern medicine-related.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    If I get it right, these sorts of folks are. "Big Pharma" and stuff.
  • Which, to be fair, is something to be legitimately worried about.  Privatizing all the things has led to some very real bullshit in the pharmaceutical industry.

The problem is that you have to make sure they're actually doing the thing you accuse them of.  Repackaging and rebranding the same meds to keep it in a state of artificial scarcity?  Yeah, they do that.  Raising the alarm over and over about an autism link that's been disproved over and over?  Not so much.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Not to mention, sometimes the reason why mainstream media say drinking beetroot juice does not work is because it does not work. Of course, this principle applies on a more general basis too.
  • Naas_Human wrote: »
    Stein's position on vaccines is *nuanced* because she depends on the support of hippies like me, many of whom distrust big business on principle. But she's not anti-vax by any stretch.

By that reasoning, you'd have to be "skeptical" about basically anything modern medicine-related.

Well. Yeah. :)
  • edited 2016-09-14 03:49:40
    Delaware, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire had their primaries today.  Also New York state-level races.

For Delaware's at-large House seat, Lisa Blunt Rochester (D) won her primary convincingly and is considered the favorite in the general election.  Her most notable thing is that she's both black and female, and IIRC Delaware is one of very few states that haven't had a woman represent them in Congress before.  So, yeah, kinda a boring affair for the moment as far as electoral interestingness goes.

In Rhode Island, a number of progressives challenged incumbent Democrats in the State House of Representatives, and this resulted so far in 7 victories for challengers, including one over State House Majority Leader John DeSimone.

New Hampshire's first U.S. House seat has seen an extremely tight Republican primary between scandal-tarred incumbent Frank Guinta, a former mayor of Manchester, and businessman Rich Ashooh, with three lesser-known candidates rounding out the field.  Last I've heard, Guinta is leading by a few hundred votes.  The winner will take on challenger and former incumbent Carol Shea-Porter (D) in the general election.  Shea-Porter won this seat in 2006, 2008, and 2012, while Guinta won it in 2010 and 2014.

New Hampshire's gubernatorial Republican primary is a race has five candidates of which the top three were relatively close.  Seems it's being won by another member of the Sununu political family.  I don't know much about this race, or the less-close Democratic primary.

New York's State Senate District 31, currently represented by Adriano Espaillat -- who earlier ran and won a primary to replace longtime Rep. Charlie Rangel in the U.S. House -- saw several candidates pile in.  In this heavily blue district, an IDC candidate seems to have won the Dem primary by a few hundred votes (about 2% margin).  This is important because the IDC -- which stands for "Independent Democratic Conference" -- is a bloc of a few Dem state senators who decided to caucus with the Republicans to give the Republicans a majority coalition in the State Senate, despite being the minority party.  (Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) is also very much friends with the Republicans in the State Senate, so he didn't exactly help his party either.)  For reference, Espaillat is not a member of the IDC.
    Rich Ashooh
    Bless you!
  • In case it wasn't clear that this election is weird as hell, the creator of Pepe the Frog made this:

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Meanwhile, back in the realm of sanity:

• edited 2016-09-14 17:35:09
    Update: I misreported the Rhode Island bit: the primary defeats of incumbent Democrats happened in both the State House and State Senate, and there were only six of them.  But State House Majority Leader John DeSimone is indeed one of the incumbents that were defeated.

Also, with 100% of precincts reporting, Frank Guinta appears to have beaten Rich Ashooh (excuse me!) by 649 votes.  The raw numbers are:
    Frank Guinta 26,229 | 46%
    Rich Ashooh (excuse me!) 25,580 | 45%
    Michael Calis 2,230 | 4%
    Robert Risley 1,373 | 2%
    Jamieson Gradert 1,031 | 2%

It seems Guinta has been saved by the clown car!

Guinta, whose campaign has been rocked with campaign finance violations, was actually once left for dead by New Hampshire Republicans due to his scandals.  But, hey.  On the other hand, Carol Shea-Porter might be enjoying this turn of events.  That said, wealthy businessman and former Democrat Shawn O'Connor is running as an independent, after having some sort of spitting contest with local Dems, so the race remains hard to predict.

("Clown car" is political slang for a race, especially a primary election, that has a large number of candidates.  When a bunch of people all run against a scandal-ridden incumbent, this "clown car effect" can frequently save said incumbent, in part due to the US's near-ubiquitous use of first-past-the-post voting systems, because the challengers all split the anti-incumbent voters amongst themselves and end up all losing.)
    Shhh, don't spoil it.

I prefer this mental picture.

(Even though I get the point.)
  • A Trump supporter sucker punched a 69 year old woman with an oxygen tank in the face in North Carolina.

Remember what Trump said back in the primary? "Knock the crap out of them!" The violence keeps happening and is now spilling into the general election.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Speaking of North Carolina, SCOTUS treated the cause of justice relatively well there with regards to voting rights, but not in Ohio where SCOTUS recently upheld a decision to reduce early voting hours.
  • Also, Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin said "there might have to be blood spilled" if Hillary wins.
  • edited 2016-09-14 22:08:36
    After accepting 10,000 Syrian refugees one month earlier than scheduled, President Obama announced that he will increase that number by 100,000 next year.

So accepted Syrian refugees would number 110,000 if successful. This comes after Hillary said she wanted the refugee number to be 65,000 per year rather than 10,000 per year as was the original idea.
  • In declassified emails, Colin Powell and Democrat megadonor Jeffrey Leeds both wrote that President Obama is called "that man" by Clinton, that she still holds a grudge over losing to him in 2008, and that "she'll pummel his legacy if she gets a chance and he knows it."

Other emails show that Powell and Leeds both say Hillary thinks Obama doesn't want her to succeed him, which contributes to the bad blood. They don't go into the business of speculating who Obama "actually" wants as his successor, though.
  • That's really strange considering Obama has been trying pretty hard to convince people to vote for her in recent months.
  • edited 2016-09-15 14:32:10
    The emails are probably old. Also, Assange is weaksauce.
  • "Weaksauce" seems like a pretty inadequate description for Assange after he accidentally outed a whole bunch of gay people in Saudi Arabia.
    That sounds like a punchline of some edgy joke of tomorrow. I mean, look at it. I can totally see it going hand-in-hand with a Hitler joke in some adult American animated series.

(For the record, I also know it's awful.)

More seriously (the "epsilon bigger than zero" kind of "more", but still), our favourite amphibian strikes back. You've probably heard of it anyway, but still, dutifully do I report it:
    Prominently featured over Trump's right shoulder: popular white nationalist symbol, Pepe the Frog.