If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Algebra

123457»

Comments

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

No, my finals are finished. I did okay on the finals themselves I guess, but I failed the Algebra classes.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

The finals or the entire classes?

Are they required gen-ed classes or for your major?

The entire class. And one was gen-ed. The other was the class you had to take first to get into the gen-ed one. They let you take both at once.

But, as I said at the way beginning of the thread, my mom has shown me another option. Taking the CLEP test.

I see; that puts into perspective the whole point of this thread.

What were the topics covered in each class, mind if I ask?

Too many for me to just list. I don't even remember them all, dude.

Oh, I was just curious what they were trying to string together, and in particular how this "you can take both at once" thing might have worked.

Well, I'm sure you've taken a College Algebra class before. The Gen-Ed was like that.

The one before it that you had to take first was basically an Algebra 2, high-schooly class. They had to rearrange things to the classes never conflicted.

• Yeah, math is pretty sequential until you get a good ways into college and it starts branching out.  Letting someone take a class alongside its prerequisite sounds like a good way to fuck up your students as much as possible.

Isn't math basically like a tech tree?

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-12-15 01:47:42

One that's a relatively straight line up till late 200-level, yeah.

• a little muffled

Yeah, math is pretty sequential until you get a good ways into college and it starts branching out.  Letting someone take a class alongside its prerequisite sounds like a good way to fuck up your students as much as possible.
    Another horrible thing about the Ontario high school curriculum: the way it's structured, schools pretty much have no choice but to allow you to take Advanced Functions (i.e. precalc) and calculus at the same time!

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-12-15 03:06:49

My AP physics class was a two-year course that had to dip into calculus, which meant that you started taking it the year before Calc unless you were a year ahead of the fast track and managed to do it concurrently.

Of course, the way the teacher ran it, he also briefly taught you what little calculus you needed in the first week and a half, and worked with the calculus teacher to pick up people who were having trouble.  Thankfully, basic kinematics derivatives and integrals are pretty easy to go over, even for someone just starting FST/precalc.

• edited 2012-12-15 03:07:46

AP Physics in my high school was taught the same year as Calculus, but that still meant you learned derivatives and integrals and stuff in physics before you learned them in calc...

• a little muffled

High school physics here tended to take the approach of pretending that we weren't actually doing calculus.

Oh sure, we measured slopes of tangent lines and areas under curves, and derived formulas for how to find them...but we never called it calculus.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

But you're excited about learning Japanese, which short of a relocation to Japan, is incredibly low in terms of "is this useful to me in day to day life"

This is more of a hobby than anything, I'd think. 

• edited 2012-12-17 18:57:30

It serves as curriculum fodder, at least.

Anyhow, it bugs me that I passed Calculus I without understanding what a derivative was (must've missed that class) and only understood them during Physics I. In fact, that was a trend during my university life...

Edit: It's never too late to fix typos.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-12-17 02:10:14

It's something that can potentially be described badly as a concept.

My calc teacher was amazing.  Our first assignment was to write a time machine letter to our Algebra-II selves describing derivatives as a numeric concept, as a geometric concept, and how to take a derivative of a basic polynomial, in a clear and concise way we could have understood at the time.

Since then though, I've seen less spectacular calc teachers that just go "derivatives are things you do to stuff with x in it, and here's a couple ways to use them" and wonder why the students don't get it.

• a little muffled
    but what if I already knew what a derivative was