If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Algebra

Comments

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-12-12 19:51:52

It's a subject that's taught very, very poorly, and its nature as something sequential means if you get a crap teacher it leaves you floundering for years.

But speaking as someone who's tutored people that insist they're bad at math, and who learned to do so from a teacher that taught AP calculus and remedial algebra and got awesome results from both, I can feel rather comfortable in saying that there aren't a whole lot of people in the world who are actually bad at math.

If you're having trouble, get a tutor.  One-on-one time and practice without being left in the dust to fend for yourself work wonders.  Try to get one who explains material from several different angles instead of just telling you to memorize arbitrary shit.  Pretty much everything in math can be conceived in a whole bunch of different ways, and the main failing of schools in teaching it is that they jump to the one that takes the least effort to describe instead of sitting down and getting into your head long enough to figure out how to describe it to you.

If you ask pretty much anyone who is good at math, they'll probably tell you that they don't think of it in a memorization way (most of them have memory like a sieve in the first place!) and focus more on underlying patterns.  Hell, I can count on two hands the number of formulas I've actually memorized over the course of two math-intensive majors.  The rest of them, I understand how they work well enough to derive them as needed, and if I use them often enough over the course of a single project they wind up in medium-short-term memory by happenstance and usually empty out when I'm done.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Well, I just need to take this CLEP test, and I'll never have to take another math class again.

just wish that university did not rate how much you deserve a piece of cardboard that says you're a screenwriter based on how good are you at finding the tangent value on a triangle, really.

• a little muffled

I just wish that university did not rate how much you deserve a piece of cardboard that says you're a screenwriter based on how good are you at finding the tangent value on a triangle, really. That's all that bothers me here. I don't even mind learning about it.
    I can sympathize with that.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-12-12 19:59:31

My main contention with education outside your focus is that it's just taught so poorly that not much sticks, and when you get to college it's used as an excuse to bloat tuition costs by several times.

Like, most of the classes that they used to hold my degree ransom were things I was totally interested in anyhow -- but the class never got around to learning anything of substance about it, so it was just a complete waste of oxygen and an excuse to grub money.

• If you ask pretty much anyone who is good at math, they'll probably tell you that they don't think of it in a memorization way (most of them have memory like a sieve in the first place!) and focus more on underlying patterns.  Hell, I can count on two hands the number of formulas I've actually memorized over the course of two math-intensive majors.  The rest of them, I understand how they work well enough to derive them as needed, and if I use them often enough over the course of a single project they wind up in medium-short-term memory by happenstance and usually empty out when I'm done.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

It's a kind of nocebo effect: people convince themselves math is "too hard" for them, and so it is.

Possibly.

On a personal level, I kind of failed badly at maths in tenth grade. In ninth grade, I was bounced around between three different math teachers, and thus missed a large portion of what was being taught during that grade. When I moved into tenth grade, we moved on to trigonometry and calculus, and I spent the entirety of tenth grade trying to get my fundamentals up to the point that I could understand what they were saying. (I failed at that, shown by my end-of-year exam where I scored a big 0 on my maths exam.)

There are a whole host of things that can screw over one's understanding of subjects, and they're not always easily repairable gaps in your knowledge. By the time you can fix them, schooling has often already moved on to topics that require you to have that previous knowledge, causing you to have to play catch-up for years.

tl;dr down with symbols and numbers, maths sucks

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

When I changed school between seventh and eight grade I had to learn algebra at an accelerated pace for my new school was already advanced in them while my previous one wasn't even close. So what I did was burrow the algebra book and read it over in two months. Problem solved.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

If schools really did only teach subjects that everyone needed, what would they teach? I'm thinking basic math (like, up to multiplication and maybe division), and...sex ed? Anything else?

I don't know about you, but algebra is quite useful in back-calculating affordability of big-ticket deferred-payment items like loans.

Furthermore, having a strong grasp of math makes it far easier to understand how the world works around you, making it easier for you to do everything from organizing resources for large-scale projects (in business or personal affairs) to telling when an unscrupulous salesperson is trying to pull a fast one on you (by being able to process the numbers they give you on the fly).

Well, the basic language skills: reading, writing, enough grammar that people will more or less understand you. That's all I got.

Here's the thing: Basic reading, writing, and grammar will get you through dealing with people who you are generally familiar with.

However, very often, you'll need to deal with people you're unfamiliar with, and both understand how they think and make them understand you...and do so properly, such as without looking like a doofus.

For that you need a higher degree of language comprehension and understanding concepts like irony, satire, and narrative.

Now, granted, I'm not sure the way to teach this is to make people read Shakespeare.  If anything, the biggest reason to read Shakespeare specifically is for cultural familiarity, rather than communication.  Though becoming well-versed in some sort of good storytelling is definitely a strong communication skill.

Part of the problem is that English classes teach writing and literature at the same time, and most of the literature they pick eschews typical writing structure, either by antiquity or stylistic choice.  So you get tremendously mixed signals when learning basics.

You put this much better than anything I've ever come up with.  I've always felt there was an issue here but couldn't quite put my finger on it.  Props.

- how to read social cues

Unfortunately I'm not sure this is something that can be easily taught.

The thing about algebra is that it's one of the essential parts of maths as a versatile system. I mean, the simplest expression (not mathematical expression, mind) of algebra is x + y = z. Now you have a rule within which you can place values to find an outcome. It's essentially about the relationships between values in whichever context you're working with, so it can help you find solutions to a wide variety of problems quickly and easily. In a more physical sense, for instance, it's a significant part of trigonometry, which harnesses the two most important shapes in anything, ever -- circles and triangles.

I'm not even good at fine calculations, but knowing how and why different values relate to one-another in different contexts is a very useful piece of knowledge.

tl;dr Algebra is what makes maths useful rather than a shitshoot.

I think a key point about algebra is that algebra enables people to work with conceptual placeholders and thus allows us to deal with situations without complete information, by manipulating the information that we do have so that we find out what we need to know and how to get it.

I just fucking HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE math. Seriously. There is aboslutely nothing about the subject I like, and nothing about it I ever will like. The fact that I personally have to take math classes when they do NOT pertain to me at all, is what is upsetting to me.

I wonder if thinking of numbers pictorally might help.  Because I noticed that's what I do, and I don't think people generally do that, from my experiences tutoring people.

For example: How much is 98 times 56, roughly?  I could sit down with a piece of paper and write it out using long-form multiplication, and that's boring to most people.  Instead, I think, 98 is slightly less than 100, so picture a long series of rods (56 of them) each 100 inches long.  If you were to shorten each rod by a little bit, you'd get 56 rods each 98 inches long.  So the first thing I'd say is that it's slightly less than 5600.

How much less?  Well, 98 is 2 less than 100, so 56 98s is 56 2s less than 5600.  56 2s is 2 56es because we can swing them around freely in multiplication (and addition).  That's slightly more than 2 50s, or a 100.  Taking slightly more than 100 off of 5600 means slightly less than 5500.

And so on.  I find using guide numbers like this for arithmetic much easier than cracking open arithmetic tables in my head.  They still have their place--especially for precision calculations--but are less useful for ballpark estimates where speed and easiness is key.

This sort of pictoral stuff is really useful for algebra (and even calculus).  That's because as I manipulate equations I can imagine stuff being moved around in my head.  Subtracting 3x from both sides to get rid of it on one side becomes moving 3x to the other side of the equation and making it negative.  Got -(x-y)?  The negative sign outside "dissolves" into the (a - b) pattern and reverses that pattern into (y-x).

Stuff like that.  After a while you get used to seeing visual patterns.  And you'll notice how things that are multiplied/divided "stick together harder" than things that are added/subtracted, because you have to jump through more hoops in order to "unstick" them.  And you'll also more easily get used to the fact that x^2 (x squared), because it contains multiplying by a second x, just can't be combined with regular x, when you do quadratic equations.

At least, these are some issues that my tutorees have had, in my experience.

But I doubt there is any time in my life where I will have to sit down and write out a maximization and minimization plot from equations, find their corner points, and find the values of when profit is the highest with items sold.

That sounds like something a manager might do.

If you want to move up the ladder, you might need to be able to figure out how to do that.

It's hard and annoying and too many numbers and letters and variables and matrices and polynomials and quadratic formula and b^2-4ac and vertexes and parabolas and fuck

Math is a toolbox.  Unless you're going into studying math, these are going to remain tools--as in, means to ends rather than ends themselves.  However, they're extremely useful means.

The reason why people teach graphing is because graphs are used in almost every field to document data and derive trends.  Basically they're used to describe how some sort of objective measure of a situation is changing, over time, space, or another variable.  Knowing how the graph of a certain set of data looks, and knowing how the math behind that graph works, you can make reasonably good...predictions of the future, pretty much.

This applies to business, engineering, science, policy, architecture, communication, journalism, and much more.

It also requires way less memorization than other subjects

I can attest to this.

Math is about remembering only a rather small set of formulas, and then knowing how to apply them.  It's about seeing patterns, and being able to apply the right equation in the right place.  At first it seems to be trial and error but once you get the hang of it it's basically like solving little puzzles.  So it's all about becoming skilled in something, rather than memorizing a ton of stuff.

In contrast, it seemed to me that biology and chemistry were all about memorizing lots of information.  Yes, you could derive trends, but there's a lot more basic information you need to know.  You need to remember all the different organelles in a cell, for example, and their functions.  Sure, the trends follow from the generic animal and plant cell diagrams, but that's still a lot of information.

And when you get to higher math, such as trigonometry and calculus, you often get formula sheets in tests.  Because in real life, people like engineers do in fact carry pocket guides with formulas.  So it's not really about memorizing anymore; it's about applying the formulas in the right place at the right time.

Edit: If you're trying to learn math by memorization, you're doing it wrong.

Agreed.  If anything, memorization is what all those practice problems are for--you shouldn't be memorizing formulas like history facts.  You should be getting to know formulas "personally"--the way you'd learn to play a game, for example.  You don't check your brain's mental manual for how to cast a magic spell in a game; you just know how to do it because you've done it a lot and know what works and what doesn't.

It's a subject that's taught very, very poorly, and its nature as something sequential means if you get a crap teacher it leaves you floundering for years.

But speaking as someone who's tutored people that insist they're bad at math, and who learned to do so from a teacher that taught AP calculus and remedial algebra and got awesome results from both, I can feel rather comfortable in saying that there aren't a whole lot of people in the world who are actually bad at math.

If you're having trouble, get a tutor.  One-on-one time and practice without being left in the dust to fend for yourself work wonders.  Try to get one who explains material from several different angles instead of just telling you to memorize arbitrary shit.  Pretty much everything in math can be conceived in a whole bunch of different ways, and the main failing of schools in teaching it is that they jump to the one that takes the least effort to describe instead of sitting down and getting into your head long enough to figure out how to describe it to you.

If you ask pretty much anyone who is good at math, they'll probably tell you that they don't think of it in a memorization way (most of them have memory like a sieve in the first place!) and focus more on underlying patterns.

Holy shit, Bee, you're speaking my mind.

Anyway, Saturn, if you need math help, feel free to ask us.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

t;dr words

I'm just going to use this CLEP College Algebra study guide, take the CLEP test and then never have to take another math class again.

• edited 2012-12-13 00:45:10
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

i'm sorry i gigantpost -_-

TL;DR:

1. Math isn't about memorization; it's about learning skills, kinda like how you learn to play a videogame.  You learn how to use skills and figure out when best to apply them.

2. A useful thing in algebra might be to "picture" manipulations, such as "moving" a quantity to the other side of the equation with an opposite operation.  It helps with learning to see patterns (such as noticing something's a quadratic expression), and seeing patterns is how you know what skills to apply (such as factoring or the quadratic formula).

3. Algebra is important because it lets us deal with situations with incomplete information, by identifying what we don't know and working around it.

4. I agree with Bee that math education kinda sucks.

I'm sorry but I just can't completely agree with number 3, GMH. I mean, it may be true, but other classes I would be good at would be better for that, by just saying that and giving examples. College Algebra did no such thing.

But I am very grateful for everyone's advice and ideas.

OK; let me respond.

Math isn't about memorization; it's about learning skills, kinda like how you learn to play a videogame.  You learn how to use skills and figure out when best to apply them.

When I took my formal examinations for maths in tenth grade (My School Certificate exams), we didn't get a formula sheet. We were expected to have memorized formulas for algebra, calculus and trigonometry. Thankfully, the trigonometry and calculus sections were short, but they were there and were a stumbling block for many students.

Algebra is important because it lets us deal with situations with incomplete information, by identifying what we don't know and working around it.

This is a skill that can be learned in many ways. Algebra is one way to do it. In high school, we were taught this during science class; we had to figure out what data was missing and how it was necessary to get the information we required, and often we had to either plan around the missing data or find a way to get the missing data ourselves.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

On your second paragraph, Nova, what you're still doing is algebra. Any process by which you find unknown values by using known values and a known relationship between values is algebra. 

1. The part of mathematics in which letters and other symbols are used to represent numbers and quantities in formulae and equations.

2. A system of this based on given axioms.

• edited 2012-12-13 01:00:18
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I don't think finding the missing cell in a table (In one case I remember, we were missing the times on a table) counts as algebra at all.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that's not algebra at all.

Edit to clarify: We didn't have to find the times. We had to figure out that it was the times that were missing. It was seventh grade, okay?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

You're finding missing values via existing known data and a known relationship. That's algebra, no matter what format is used to express it. 

Then I guess I hate the stupid format it is taught to me in.

• edited 2012-12-13 01:11:21

Finding the missing cell by simply looking through a spreadsheet isn't algebra.

But coming up with a way of dealing with the missing information--how to move forward with it, or how to backsolve for it if you have an answer (if you really need to backsolve, which is not really applicable in this situation) requires algebra concepts.

So does finding the missing cell in a fuckhuge spreadsheet by writing a formula.

If you could give me a reason why I need to know about matrices, vertexes, the quadratic formula and polynomials, etc, then I would be satisfied.

• Because those are the simplest equations involving unknown variables we can come up with and if you can't deal with the simple ones like that, how do you expect to deal with the more complicated ones like loan repayment schedules?

You're finding missing values via existing known data and a known relationship. That's algebra, no matter what format is used to express it. 

No, that's deductive reasoning, which algebra is basically a formalized expression of.

Because those are the simplest equations involving unknown variables we can come up with and if you can't deal with the simple ones like that, how do you expect to deal with the more complicated ones like loan repayment schedules?

That's a really bad example, simple logic and basic maths skills can cover that.

What Nova said.

So far, all the reasons you can give for learning the things I have to learn can boil down to "Why don't I just stick to the simple logic and basic math skills then?"

• edited 2012-12-13 01:21:12
    (void)

Because "simple logic and basic math skills" is exactly what a college algebra class is teaching.

I mean, seriously: If you have $8000 of credit card debt that increases at a rate of 1% per month, and you pay off $100 per month, how long will it be before you no longer have to deal with the constant calls from the debt collectors? Use "simple logic and basic math skills", no algebra.

• edited 2012-12-13 01:22:48

Well, actually, simple logic and basic math skills are the basis of algebra.  It's just that people figured out that they could cut to the chase and not reinvent the wheel by building on structures from basic math and logic to make something else.  For example, the idea of noting that instead of figuring out "oh, I have to subtract the height of the table from the height of the tip of the lamp", simply being able to start with "lampheight + tableheight = totalheight" and plugging in the right numbers and manipulating that.

Plus it's far easier to manipulate numbers and variables in a way that's easy to read.  Text is hard to read.

Ponicalica, you didn't answer the question. I am okay with that stuff.

I am NOT okay with all the stupid unnecessary parts.

Because "simple logic and basic math skills" is exactly what a college algebra class is teaching.

That's not what was taught in algebra class. And by the sounds of it, Saturn's college class isn't teaching him that either.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

My two cents:

Learning stuff is only half of what college classes are for. The reason why you are required to take classes outside your focus is to ensure that you're smart and flexible enough to excel outside your comfort zone. Yes, algebra probably won't be relevant to a screenwriter, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that you can pick it up and do good anyway.

Then I guess I don't deserve to excel in life because math and I don't click.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Question: When did you first feel math and you don't click?