If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Algebra

Comments

• Well, visual novels are definitely pretty specific, moreso if you deviate from the "mainstream" (Type-MOON and Jun Maeda). I still don't buy the 50/50 thing, but it was probably exaggeration anyway.

• edited 2012-12-14 01:43:46
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Only two of the games I said were "visual novels". Maybe three. Most of them are RPG and Action games.

And yes, it was an exaggeration. The point is there is enough of it to motivate me to learn the language.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Pretty sure AAI2 had a fan translation if you know where to look.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^I doubt that. Fan translations tend to take a long time, especially for text heavy games like Ace Attorney.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I heard one was in the works, and that was like two years ago. I don't know if they ever finished it though, admittedly.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

An EXTREMELY early Alpha is planned for release by Christmas.

• Monster Hunter games

You don't exactly need much Japanese knowledge for these, especially if you've already played one in English before.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't the best of them been translated into English, anyway? By learning Japanese, you get to play a handful of good games that didn't make it here (which have been made up for) and a bazillion shitty Monster Hunter knockoffs. 

• edited 2012-12-14 04:50:16

^^ I'll give you that one.

^ That handful is important to me. That's all there is to it. Also, I would be able to enjoy any of the series I already like that get localized before they come out in America. That's a plus in my book. Pokemon, Kingdom Hearts...I would be able to fully enjoy them, and maybe even not bother with the English version. Yeah, you can play a Pokemon game without knowledge of the language (for the most part), but you don't get the full experience for sure.

They haven't been "made up for" to me. Yes, we get good games. But we certainly don't get everything I like.

• edited 2012-12-14 14:57:16
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Plus, being able to play the japanese versions of new games BEFORE they come out here would be a  plus.

In the context of people's talking about needing to know how to calculate one's finances, this seems insignificant, I think.

More relevantly to the point of education, usefulness, and preparations for one's future, though: what's your intended career path after college?

(I assume you're in a degree program of some sort.)

Edit: This post was previous poorly written, and has been edited.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Screenwriter, I think. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

That said, I think the tl;dr takeaway from these last few posts, in comparison to the first three pages, seems to be that Saturn currently values enjoyment of videogames over career prospects.

Or that he has hobbies unrelated to his career goals.

• edited 2012-12-14 06:40:25
    My arms are falling off!

I don't think people should have to learn higher-tier math if they don't want to (saying this as someone who likes math), but at the least everyone who intends to go into the real world should know PEMDAS and how to solve for one variable.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

PEMDAS... BODMAS?

• edited 2012-12-14 06:45:23

A quick Google search says yes.  PEMDAS is apparently the typical U.S. mnemonic for order of operations, while it's BODMAS in the UK (and presumably Australia).

Anyway.

I think the requirements for going to live in the real world are that you should be able to apply mathematics to relevant tasks that you will likely chance (or have a fair probability) of encountering later in life. Algebra can do that, and so can arithmetic.

As long as you can figure out how to order your finances, etc, you're set.

• edited 2012-12-14 13:49:44
    a little muffled

It's BEDMAS around here.

I get parentheses vs brackets for the first letter, but how on Earth does "O" stand for exponentiation?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Wikipedia says it's "orders", which is another term for "powers" or "indices".

• a little muffled

I guess that makes sense, but does anyone actually call it that?

• edited 2012-12-14 14:07:55

"Second-order polynomial", "orders of magnitude".  And, somewhat more distantly, "second-order differential equation", which uses power notation partly out of convenience.

• edited 2012-12-14 14:14:33

Wow GMH, that actually offends me a bit. Thanks.

If not finding the "completely general, applies to everyone ever" use of the higher tier algebra I was taught means that I favor video games over finding a career than I guess I'm a much bigger screw up than I thought.

Thank you for sticking up for me in this thread, Nova.

• a little muffled

@glennmagusharvey: I'm aware of those terms, yeah (though I'm more used to referring to the "degree" of polynomials) but I've never heard "order" for just plain exponentiation.

• edited 2012-12-14 14:34:47

I know what PEMDAS is, I remember it instinctively. But you couldn't convince me that I need to know how to take

(x^-2y^4)^3 over (xy)^-3 and simplify it.

Or that I need to know the domain and range of y = f(x) = √-x+1 + 5

or that I need to know how to write the possibility of that domain and range in interval notation

or that I need to know that -b/2a is the line of symmetry and you plug the answer for that back into the equation to find the vertex.

If these are the skills that you need to "advance" in a career, then I guess I am screwed for life.

Will I need to know how to change log form to exponential form and back? No.

Will I need to know how put the possible answers for x on a proper number line? No.

Will I need to know how to do this? problem 1bNo.

Or this? problem 1bNo.

These are just things you can learn. And you can argue for being a more well-rounded individual through math. But you can not honestly tell me that THESE are the skills bosses, and managers and influential people have, and need to be successful.

If it's really come to the point where if someone doesn't know these things they are stupider than someone who does, and won't advance in a career simply because they don't know these inane things, then that is a bigger problem in my eyes, than people not knowing it.

I would very much like it if you did not insult my intelligence or what you feel as a lack of priorities.

• edited 2012-12-14 14:48:15
    Has friends besides tanks now

For what it's worth, GMH realized that was insulting and edited his post down to something that's hopefully more reasonable, if behind the conversation at this point.

As someone who does pretty well with math but can't remember some of the stuff you're talking about after about half a year, I would agree that the number of uses for algebra is probably not as large for a screenwriter, and I agree that it's unfortunate when unfavorable subjects are taught poorly. Ideally, they would teach everyone directly towards the point where they could calculate finances efficiently in the long term, and leave it at that, or something. With that said, I don't know if that warrants a hatred of the subject.

Please don't think I don't see the merit in knowing how to calculate your finances and taxes, because I do. And I think that's very important.

But as said multiple times in this thread, the way the subject and many others is taught in this country is pretty poor, and I feel that has something to do with my problem.

• edited 2012-12-14 14:56:14

@Saturn: My apologies for writing what I did.  It came out harsher than I expected.

What I was tapping into was my sense of frustration at the more general narrative of "this doesn't matter, the heck with it all" that you seemed to hold, based on my reading of what you've been saying about your algebra class--this is the "hatred" that All Nines just mentioned.  From what I could tell, several other posters shared this sense of frustration, and I'm sure at least some of them share the same reason, knowing the stats about the importance of education in determining lifetime career success as well as (probably) personally knowing some people who didn't do well in school and ended up with various problems that could be traced to an insufficient education.  That said, it seems what I said came out to be obnoxiously arrogant, and kinda reminds me of things my parents have said to me.  (Perhaps I should have just tempbanned myself from the board for the duration of finals week.)

And it's because of that sense that some of us, myself included, have been trying to illustrate how math in general and algebra in particular are useful.  The point wasn't to make you feel like a screw-up, but rather to appeal to the reasoning of "this is useful; that's why I should learn it".

I also think that being good with algebra also helps develop a more general set of skills involving conceptual manipulation of all sorts of stuff (not just numbers), but that idea I know less about, and I don't think that's been mentioned much in this thread.

For what it's worth, I've agreed with Bee in noting that math education has many flaws.  In fact, now that I think about it, the conversation Nova and I had on IRC about this thread highlights the fact that I really have no idea how schools should teach things like Algebra II (or equivalent) topics to someone who prefers thinking of math in concrete terms, such as Nova herself.  All I can do for now is agree with Bee that math should be taught in a very personalized way, though unfortunately our educational system doesn't really have the resources for that.

• Has friends besides tanks now

I would have to agree. With that, I wish you good luck with your studies, enjoyable or not.

I would argue for giving our educational system those resources. But of course then the can is open, and worms are everywhere.

Thank you for the kind words, and I really do appreciate anyone is trying to help.

• This seems relevant.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

And good luck on your finals; presumably that's what you're up against right now.

I just finished a take-home final exam (about 20 minutes ago); had another exam in-class yesterday.