If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I FORGIVE YOU CAPCOM!

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    If you want to play it that way:

It's unreasonable to be upset that Capcom didn't splash production money on a series that had long been unprofitable and critically disastrous, no matter how much you like the wider franchise.

I mean, game producers are notorious for making cold decisions based entirely on the bottom line, but Capcom already gave that series a second chance. That's pretty significant in the current economic climate of the games industry. Then they gave the series a third chance before coming to their senses and pulling the plug. From a producer's point of view, this is remarkably generous, especially given that millions of dollars ride on AAA games.

I don't like the way a lot of game production works, but it's a business. This statement is often used as a justification for circumnavigating risk, but Capcom didn't do that in this case. They gave the series two chances and blew a load of money in the process.
  • Well yeah it's a big financial risk but 1.) the consumers' interests are always at odds with the producers' interests anyway and (more importantly) 2.) I'm really just mad that this isn't even the first time that INUH came into a discussion about Megaman to post what basically amounts to "Megaman Legends wasn't a commercial success, therefore the people who say they liked it are lying and every single person who says they're upset is just saying it because they want to fit in with other people who say they're upset."

But really I don't actually care much about the Megaman Legends 3 thing.  What bothers me is Capcom's inability to either actually develop a good Megaman game or just to let the franchise die like they seem to want it to (and would certainly be better than the current situation).

• More people are furious at Capcom's business practices than the whole Megaman thing, but a good number of them are mad about neglecting Megaman as well.

• Also, wasn't there a prototype Capcom was going to test to make sure it was a viable game to profit off in the first place, but actually was never released and thus never given a chance? I'm no fan of Megaman, and even I know that's unfair.

• edited 2012-12-09 18:34:45
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I'm just bothered by one of the first things CU said.

Almost nobody buys it, and those who do view it as anywhere from terrible to kinda okay, depending on the system.

Yes, he is exaggerating. But it's still condescending.

If we are at the point where it is "unreasonable" to be upset that something you wanted to happen didn't happen, regardless of the reasons then...I don't know, man.

^ They made a prototype version and it was supposed to go to the 3DS store to gauge interest. It never did.

• You can change. You can.

I wouldn't say it's unreasonable to be upset about it, but I would say that it's unreasonable to use it as an example of everything that is wrong with Capcom.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I don't. But I do say that it is the first sign (that mattered to me) that Capcom was really turning quite crappy. Before that, I didn't follow Capcom much, so I had no idea if they were good or not. But with things like other Megaman properties and Resident Evil and such...

• I dunno, XOver is a pretty solid sign that something's gone horribly wrong and needs to be addressed immediately.

but is that related to megaman legends

THe bigger picture of Capcom, yeah

• edited 2012-12-09 19:38:58
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I don't think everyone who says they liked it is lying. I just think the scale the outrage took on is kind of ridiculous.

I don't even think it's unreasonable to be disappointed, though to use it as an example of Capcom going downhill doesn't make much sense (there are much better things to use for that :P).
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Really, I think the direction RE and Devil May Cry are going is much worrisome. At least with Megaman they're trying to maintain the initial core and spirit of the game.

At least with Megaman they're trying to maintain the initial core and spirit of the game.

They are?

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Well, with stuff like Megaman 9 and the zero games and even the Battle Network spinoff, I can look at it and go 'yep, that's megaman'. 

Yeah but they're rather old, for the most part. (Megaman 9 was pretty recent)

I'm not the authority or anything, but I'm not sure retrauxes are the way to go, you know?

Yeah, but if it's a choice between a throwback to old Megaman games or something like Resident Evil 5 or 6, I'll take the throwback.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-12-09 20:20:52

It's well-done retraux at the very least.  Other than the whole lobotomizing core abilities as DLC, but at least it's balanced around not having them.

I did enjoy how they were dicks about the MM10 trophies though.  Apparently flawlessing the game is a Silver task, on par with starting a co-op game of Guardian of Light,

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Bleh.

Call me a killjoy, but I was never an enormous Mega Man fan, and seeing him crossed over with another franchise I care even less about isn't going to inspire me to start buying more Mega Man stuff. 

I don't know if my views on that are typical or not.

Also yeah I feel retraux is overdone. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Actually, given the lower costs and higher microtargeting possibilities of digital distribution, and given Capcom's already got some games on Steam, they should put Megaman Legends 1 and 2 on there.

I would be in full support of that.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Bleh.

Call me a killjoy, but I was never an enormous Mega Man fan,

You are a killjoy. You are the killiest of kill joys. You were what J.K. Rowling based the Dementors on. You are an emotional vortex, draining the happiness from all those around you. 

• Actually, given the lower costs and higher microtargeting possibilities of digital distribution, and given Capcom's already got some games on Steam, they should put Megaman Legends 1 and 2 on there.

You'd think they'd do that already, since both games have already been ported to Windows (and I know at least the first one works on Windows 7) and so presumably it wouldn't require spending any money on development or even really much on marketing or anything.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I suspected that.

Anyway, it's a step in the right direction--a company engaging its fans in developing content.

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

Oddly enough, in one of the descriptions of the developer's WIP videos:

Capcom Please accept my internship if it reaches you.

So that's all it takes to get your fangame released by Capcom? Of course, said internship was sent around a year ago...

• Well, it does take HR departments at least half a year to get off their asses and go through applications even for smaller corporations.  I'm assuming Capcom would be worse.

• Definitely not gay.

Capcom servers slow as fuck

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

The game doesn't have a save or password system.

Not even fucking joking.