If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Giving money to bums

Comments

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Honestly, I never have small change on me (and I do mean never) and rarely cash in general. I consider myself a man of the 21st century and do most of my transactions via debit card.

My way of contributing to the needs of the less well-off in society is that 2% of my paycheck goes to charity (literally, my workplace has a system in place that you can get up to that amount automatically deducted from your check and sent to a charity of your choice). I sometimes donate more if I have money left over that I'm not saving by the time my next check rolls around. 

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read
    I'd use my debit card more often in meatspace, but I'm under the impression that it it's generally cheaper to take money out at an ATM and then use that. Especially since I only get a few free transactions every month, and I realised very quickly that my disability pension isn't quite as much money as I first thought...
  • if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I have two debit cards lying around and collecting dust.

I'm a bit of a luddite and don't get along well with technological novelties. I still can't stand touchscreen, for example.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read
    I still can't stand touchscreen, for example.

Good luck finding a new mobile phone that doesn't have one in a few years time.
  • a little muffled
    I use debit mostly just for things which involve more money than I'd prefer to carry around.
  • if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Good luck finding a new mobile phone that doesn't have one in a few years time.

I know, man. I know. Life sucks.

• a little muffled
    Tbh I prefer physical keyboard too. I'm using a touchscreen to type this and I don't think I've spelled something right on the first try once.
  • Has friends besides tanks now

I'd use my debit card more often in meatspace, but I'm under the impression that it it's generally cheaper to take money out at an ATM and then use that.

Huh. That's basically the opposite of what I have to deal with, since I'm charged a fee for taking cash money out of an ATM, which is why I carry out most transactions through debit card rather than cash.

• You can change. You can.

It depends on the ATM from which you retire the money. 

Unless shit is different in the US, I dunno.

There are some, but none that I've ever had easy access to.

• a little muffled

Generally the way it seems to work here is that if it's an ATM of your bank, it depends on what kind of account it is, and if it's an ATM of another bank there's always a fee paid to that bank (which may be on top of the fee paid to your own bank).

• My arms are falling off!

I try to use cash when possible, and debit only for larger transactions. I feel like I'm wearing out my card with each swipe. Not to mention, some stores either charge a fee, don't allow debit unless I spend a sufficient amount, or don't take card at all.

• edited 2012-10-17 09:44:23
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Generally the way it seems to work here is that if it's an ATM of your bank, it depends on what kind of account it is, and if it's an ATM of another bank there's always a fee paid to that bank (which may be on top of the fee paid to your own bank).

That's how it works here too, but luckily I haven't had to use a rival ATM since... well, today, actually. But I guess it's my fault for going to a part of the CBD that I hardly knew at all and trying to buy a one-way bus ticket there.

Tbh I prefer physical keyboard too. I'm using a touchscreen to type this and I don't think I've spelled something right on the first try once.

Autocorrect may seem annoying at first, but you get use to it pretty damn quickly once you realise that nearly all modern smartphones don't leave you with much of a choice.

Not to mention, some stores ... don't allow debit unless I spend a sufficient amount

Oh, yeah, this too. I am almost guaranteed to run into this problem if I don't have any physical cash with me, unless it's a major chain or some upmarket place in the CBD.

(Though I must admit, I can't even remember the last time I saw an actual merchant who charged a fee for electronic banking...)

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I just check what banks are listed as not being charged for on the side of the ATM.

• But you never had any to begin with.

I mostly use my card to buy things that are a multiple of 5, since cash machines here hate the idea of dispensing 5s.

• a little muffled
    @Fuschlatz: I wasn't talking about autocorrect. Things would be much worse without it. But when I had a phone with physical keyboard I actually spell.
  • My arms are falling off!

I only use my own bank's ATMs. Anything else = terminal-side fee + bank's ATM withdrawal fee (only applied when using ATMs that aren't theirs).

• I normally just straight up tell them that I don't want to throw away my money on them.

Which has led to some interesting variety of reactions, but nothing new really.

Dude, come on. What are you, six?

Dude, getting into a tussle with someone who has an emoticon as their username is probably not worth it. Just some thoughts on the matter.

• Dude, come on. What are you, six?

A six year old would be scolded(by parents) or killed(by accident or by significant provocation) or something for that.

I don't bother doing it when i'm driving a car though, since it's easy enough to just get far away enough for them to stop annoying me.

It is definitely true that I do not want to throw away my money on them, am annoyed by them, and don't feel any guilt whatsoever around them. The only difference between them and pests as far as i'm concerned is that they are less bothersome(since they most often don't sprint towards me and dance around in mockery which is what flying bugs tend to give off) and that trying to kill them or something would get me in serious trouble because human rights and the law and all that shit.

• edited 2012-10-18 23:27:40
    Has friends besides tanks now

. . . Uh . . . nooooo . . . dude, that's really fucked up. Beyond Randian levels of fucked up.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

It is definitely true that I do not want to throw away my money on them, am annoyed by them, and don't feel any guilt whatsoever around them. The only difference between them and pests as far as i'm concerned is that they are less bothersome(since they most often don't sprint towards me and dance around in mockery which is what flying bugs tend to give off) and that trying to kill them or something would get me in serious trouble because human rights and the law and all that shit.

Okay, not wanting to give money to homeless people is one thing, but dude what the fuck?

• They're somethin' else.

Wow, you're full of it. You should learn your ass some perspective.

• I don't get how that's supposed to be worse than having so little guilt as to say directly to them that I don't want to throw away my money on them?

• edited 2012-10-18 23:27:11

A six year old would be scolded(by parents) or killed(by accident or by significant provocation) or something for that.

Haha, you're the best.

Spazz edit: Oh. Oh, you're serious.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I don't get how that's supposed to be worse than having so little guilt as to say directly to them that I don't want to throw away my money on them?

One is just dickish, the other is actively dehumanizing.

There are two possibilities here, gentlemen.

Possibility one is this.

Possibility two is that he actually does think that. In which case, you're not going to convince him otherwise because of how far outside normal thinking his brain's at. 

Either way, I really, really would not bother.  

• edited 2012-10-18 23:27:29

^ It's probably the latter.

He's Edmania. I'm pretty sure this is serious mode.

• edited 2012-10-18 23:29:15
    Tableflipper

Oh, I consider them humans.

I just don't like humans to begin with.

It's the same reason why I would say, save one person I like instead of two people I dislike. (though this is assuming that the only issue would be the choice, as opposed to all the other bothersome factors that may be present like having fear and the incompetency to save them from whatever the hell is the threat)