If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"X-user."

124»

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Valkyria Chronicles does the experience thing pretty well. You get overall experience for a mission, and then you can choose what unit type to spend it on. So all scouts are always at the same level as other scouts, as are shocktroopers, snipers and so on. The final result is that your favourite types of units are more powerful than others, so you build your troops based on preferred strategies rather than individual strength. 

• You can change. You can.

I liked the way the Ravensoft Marvel games did it. You could use any team you liked (For example, The Fantastic Four) and every character available to you would still level up so if you feel like changing your team in any shape of form, it's not like you'd start with an annoyingly underpowered character.

It's just that the characters you controlled would level up farther and would have their skill points already distributed (Unless you set it on automatic but who does that)

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-07-31 01:10:50

"Silencer"

ew assassins

It beats those epic 6-damage crits my Swordmaster makes when he's not using a specialty sword.  I mean yeah he did good damage during the mid-game, but the last few chapters it fell off pretty badly, and in Lagdou he's pretty much sidelined altogether until I hit the floors with tons of mogalls and medusas.

Keep in mind I'm talking about a difficulty setting where the boss is usually the weakest thing on the floor because its mooks scaled past it.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    "I liked the way the Ravensoft Marvel games did it. You could use any team you liked (For example, The Fantastic Four) and every character available to you would still level up so if you feel like changing your team in any shape of form, it's not like you'd start with an annoyingly underpowered character.

It's just that the characters you controlled would level up farther and would have their skill points already distributed (Unless you set it on automatic but who does that)"

Man, Ultimate Alliance was fun. Couldn't bring myself to get very far in 2, though.
  • You can change. You can.

I never ever played 2. Once I heard it was Civil War based, I went "ew" and ignored it. 

But yeah the first one was just buckets of fun. 

• "It beats those epic 6-damage crits my Swordmaster makes when he's not using a specialty sword. "

What, you mean on these noobs? (I'm going to assume that "specialty sword" is referring to the ones that are effective against certain enemies, like Zanbato, Wyrmslayer, Armorslayer, whatever)

admittedlymostofthetimehegetspointlesscriticals.png

I know of no "Harder than Hard" official mode in FE8, so correct me if i'm wrong on that.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Valkyria Chronicles does the experience thing pretty well. You get overall experience for a mission, and then you can choose what unit type to spend it on. So all scouts are always at the same level as other scouts, as are shocktroopers, snipers and so on. The final result is that your favourite types of units are more powerful than others, so you build your troops based on preferred strategies rather than individual strength. 

You mean there are people who don't do scouts-and-some-other-units runs?

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-07-31 19:08:15

I guess I just got really unlucky then.  Joshua's max level and IIRC has like 13 Strength or something silly.

Still, Ewan's regular hit would be almost as hard as that crit, is ranged, weapon-neutral, and has a ridiculous crit chance of its own.  So...

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I guess I just got really unlucky then.  Joshua's max level and IIRC has like 13 Strength or something silly.

Jesus Christ, no wonder. Your Joshua is a full 8 points below the average.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I had come to the understanding that Ewan's potential make him better suited to a Druid, right?

• edited 2012-07-31 19:12:28
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^@Vandro: Yes, but more because there's only one other Dark Magic user and he sucks balls.

• "Ewan's regular hit would be almost as hard as that crit, is ranged, weapon-neutral, and has a ridiculous crit chance of its own."

That has a lot more to do with magic attacks being stronger on physical enemies and physical being stronger on magical enemies doesn't it? >_>

Though I don't know where such crit chance would be coming from.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-07-31 19:44:57

Meh, he bitchslaps casters almost as hard.  As for the crit chance, hell if I know, but I usually see it sitting around 25-35% depending on the target with his lowest-level spell.  It's ridiculous.  Him and Amelia are basically the Doom Couple that can wipe out most of the map on their own.

And yeah Knoll is fucking terrible.

• edited 2012-07-31 20:03:42
    Tableflipper

"Yes, but more because there's only one other Dark Magic user"

control enemy glitch, anyone?

Yeah Knoll is rather bad. Not even worth leveling to 20 before promotion. When I do use him (which is rare, and even when I do it's only on those maps where you're allowed to have a lot more units deployed than usual) he just promotes at level 10 to Summoner so he can summon phantoms and be my extra extra extra backup healer. (he's not at all good at the latter though, since his staff rank is far from being able to use Physic)

• I never even found much use for the phantoms.  Yeah they'll draw fire, but they die in one hit that probably would've been outright dodged by someone else.  Maybe on some of the more ridiculous Shadowshot maps.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^The thing is you don't want to take that risk, Fire Emblem even at it's easiest has steep consequences if you screw up. Having an infinitely spawning, expendable, unit that enemies will prioritize is invaluable.

Also, you can summon one with a Killer Axe and it can tear apart enemies by itself.

• Not really invaluable unless there happens to be an enemy with a Killer weapons nearby.

I usually use them more as bait to position the enemy in some specific way.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-07-31 21:05:16

Let's put it this way.  It's spending a character's entire turn to negate one attack out of 10+, usually one of the ones my line was completely prepared to soak anyway (hey look, you spared a General a melee hit he had a weapon to counter), when in nearly all cases I would've been vastly better off using that character to trim the attacking crowd for good.  Hence why the main use I'd see for it is Shadowshot maps, since I can't do that there, and it'd have almost as poor accuracy against the summon anyway.

I can see using it to bait a Killer mob, but I usually either blitz it with cavalry or bait with a tank.  Those guys are almost never the make-or-break moments of the map anyhow.  The problem moments are almost always getting hit from multiple sides because a miss streak failed to clear one of them quickly enough.

I think my funniest death though was when I had a tank pick up a Devil Axe, get jumped by a bunch of low-level spiders, broke two weapons, auto-equipped the Devil Axe, and crit himself.