If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"X-user."

edited 2012-07-28 04:30:53 in General

I dislike the use of this term. "Magic-user" especially, as it seems so incredibly lazy! Was "wizard" taken? "Arcanist"? "Theurgist"?

Is that man a "blade-user" or a "swordmaster"? Is she a "perfumer" or a "scent-user"? 

Give me pizzazz! Give me flash! Give me something evocative! 

But not grey. Never grey. 

Comments

• I like the term "magic-user" a lot more than "arcanist."

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I prefer the term "mage" over "magic-user".

• edited 2012-07-28 04:43:53
    smote

I think "magic-user" originated with the original version of D&D. It still compares well with "Fighting Man". (Clerics were still clerics, though.)

• "Fighting Man" is definitely a very silly name.

• You can change. You can.

At least it lends itself to Rolling Stones jokes. So there's that.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    "X-user" can be useful in situations where the audience is invited to overlay the term with their own interpretation. Or where the same tasks are performed by differently themed individuals.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Hey, in Type-Moon lore magic-user, theurgist and mage are three different types of spell-users.

• Nasulore has the utterly confusing problem of different translators choosing different names for each term, though.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

>Implying Nasu stuff isn't needlessly complex by design.

• I am God, and all other gods are my imagery. I gave birth to myself. I am millions of forms excreating; eternal; and nothing exists except through me; yet I am not them - they serve me.

X-User is totally a class in some rave based RPG.

• Is there such a thing?

• I am God, and all other gods are my imagery. I gave birth to myself. I am millions of forms excreating; eternal; and nothing exists except through me; yet I am not them - they serve me.

Not to my knowledge. But there is a rave/cyberpunk based setting in the D20 Future handbook, and if you integrated a few other splatbooks you could so get ravers capable of casting Color Spray.

• I usually use things like "sword-user" for those people who...just use it, with meh skill in the thing, while something like swordmaster is saved for, well, masters of using swords.

Same goes for magic.

IIRC in Unearthed Arcana there's an alternate basic class system that uses magic-user, warrior (*Different from the NPC class*) ect.

• Well, there is the Cult of Ecstasy from oWoD Mage.

• What about "swordsman"?

I mean we already have a word for that and everything.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-07-28 21:47:09

I might use "magic-user" when there are a bajillion spellcasting classes, but all I know is that I'm looking at a thing with a mana bar.  Usually though I just put a skull over its head and say "kill the squishy".

knight - swords/defensive
    myrmidon - swords/offensive
    barbarian - axes/offensive
    warrior (needs better name) - axes/defensiveninja - knives/evasion/defensive
    gymnast/dancer - knives/evasion/offensive
    ? - spears
    gladiator - all weapons
    brawler - fisticuffs
    hunter - user-launched projectiles
    archer/gunner - device-launched projectiles
    bard - magical music
    white mage - healing, curative, and sacred magic
    black mage - destructive and disruptive magic
    grey mage - buffing and disruptive magic
    sorceror - a limited subset of magic but great adeptness of casting
    wizard - a large repertoire of magic (bigger than white or black alone) but less adeptness
    loremaster/blue mage - learns natural/supernatural abilities from creatures
    mimic - repeats and temporarily imitates abilities of others
    rune knight - knight with elemental weapon powers
    red mage/magic knight - knight + sorceror combo
    ranger/trainer - pet creatures
    rogue - evasion and thievery/mugging
    trickster/juggler - deception-based attacks
    paladin - knight + white mage
    dark knight - knight + black mage
    engineer/mechanic - build and use devices to aid in battle

• edited 2012-07-29 01:45:20
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Spear wielders should be either pikemen, halberdiers, or Dragoons if you're going by Final Fantasy.

Also, you forgot Berserkers. How dare you.

I'd lump them in with barbarians.  I should have thought of that name.  That said, I think that that should just be an option of barbarians rather than being a permanent class feature for a specific class.

I think I'll go with the gender-neutral-sounding "halberdier" for spear users.

And dragoons are a totally separate class with the ability to temporarily leave battle.

• edited 2012-07-29 10:38:28
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I'd go with "hoplite" for spear-users, as a halberd is not really a spear.

As for axes/defence - how about "sentinel"?

I'd do it like so (hypothetical game, I guess -- there's more historical influence working here):

• Knight; all close combat weapons; sometimes mounted; offensive. 

• Fightmaster; all close combat weapons, but usually swords; mostly on foot; offensive. 

• Landsknecht; swords and polearms; infantry; offensive. 

• Halberdier; polearms (usually halberds or some other glaive-based design); infantry; defensive. 

• Archer; bows; infantry or cavalry; offensive or defensive depending on whether they're mounted or not. 

• Marksmen; longbows; infantry; mostly defensive. 

• Assault Marksmen; crossbows; infantry; mostly offensive. 

• Musketeer; black powder firearms and sometimes swords; infantry; offensive and defensive.

• Ranger; bows, longbows and swords; usually infantry; offensive. 

• Witch Hunter; black powder firearms, swords and knowledge of lore; infantry or cavalry; offensive. 

• Paladin/Crusader Knight; all close combat weapons, plus Witch Hunter methods; infantry or cavalry; offensive. 

• Wizard; theoretical magic; infantry or cavalry; defensive. 

• Warlock; natural understanding of lore; infantry or cavalry; offensive and defensive. 

• Witch; herb-lore and hexes; infantry, defensive.

• Engineer; war machines and black powder firearms; infantry; generally defensive.  

• Monster Hunter; all close combat weapons, crossbows and war machines; infantry or cavalry; offensive or defensive.

• Captain; swords, polearms and morale-boosting; infantry or cavalry; offensive or defensive.

but yeah whatever

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I'd say that Archers would be better in groups, really.

• edited 2012-07-29 20:54:05

I... would not have nearly that many classes if I were to make a game.

• edited 2012-07-29 20:54:29
    smote

I would also be outclassed.

^^Fire Emblem has that many, sometimes more, and it does good.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Fire Emblem branches though.

You have the Trainees, and they can be trained to advanced classes (Pupil to Mage [and further to Sage or Mage Knight] or Shaman [and further to Druid or Summoner], Journeyman to Fighter [and further to Warrior and Hero] or Pirate [to Warrior, again, or Berserker], Recruit to Knight [and then further to General or Great Knight] or Cavalier [Great Knight, again, or Paladin]. There are also the flying classes, but there's no Trainees for them in Sacred Stones, and the Clerics.)

It's not a perfect set-up, but you don't just have a variety of classes- there's a clear progression there, and you generally don't have all of the unit types out at once; just the advanced units.

I... would not have nearly that many classes if I were to make a game.

I probably wouldn't have classes to begin with, but it was kind of fun to match the names to tasks and stuff. 

Also, I just so happen to be playing Sacred Stones right now. Is it just me, or does Amelia rock all the socks? Cavaliers are generally pretty great, but as a level 16ish one, she's rivaling Seth as a destroyer of worlds and taker of names. Yeah yeah more opportunities to level up and everything but still!

That said, no-one is anything compared to Joshua, but that's just Myrmidon --> Swordmaster being what it is so

Amelia and Ross are pretty boss. Ross as a Berserker > everything.

>Amelia

>Not a General

wat are u doing.

Well, regardless SS characters are near the top of the Fire Emblem Power Creep so almost everyone is usable.

Also, the branching promotion thing was only in like 2 games.

/semantics