If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"The Titanic was real?"

2»

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I heard "in America".

• I recognize both names, Dick Clark and Andy Griffith, from that silly encyclopedia I am writing, their sitcoms both tied into the subject matter.

• -shrug-

Some people think that Sherlock Holmes existed in meatspace. Nothing new.
  • JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

What the fudgesicles...?

• I think sometimes everyone takes for granted the knowledge they acquired.

They never examine the process through which they acquired the knowledge, and then expect everyone else to have gone through that same process.

I learned about the Titanic in school, the only reason I know about the media folk I do, is because of "references to them" or their direct contribution.

• edited 2012-07-05 14:22:45
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

I can understand people who hate Justin Beiber because he's more or less descended into a generic pop star (kinda like Nicki Minaj), but other than that I don't see much point in the sheer amount of hate anymore. I definitely don't like JB, but I just don't hate him either, and like 14W said, the whole fad has gotten really old. Dare I say, it's a deader horse than arrows in the knee even.

More on topic, when I see this happening I tend to equate it with the fact that I myself have yet to actually see some really popular and well-known stuff like Gone With The Wind. Or the Discworld books. Or any of the Star Trek TV series. Plus I just remembered that there are a few Harry Potter episodes I still need to read/watch all the way through.

And whenever I think about that, I start thinking that I should begin a thing where I go up to my room at 8 or 9 on Friday and Saturday nights and binge a bunch of that stuff before going to sleep at 2am. Because only when I've done enough of that will I feel like I can compare my knowledge to that of true pop culture geeks like Juan.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> really

> binge

> wait, this isn't a Mystery Hunt puzzle

> speaking of which, I think I forgot about the CiSRA puzzlehunt...

Anyway, I first learned of the Titanic incident from school/textbooks.  However, back when the movie was a big thing, it was actually my mom who decided that I should go watch it because all my friends would be talking about it.  (Which they weren't.)