If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Amazing Spider-Man

edited 2012-07-01 07:48:16 in Media

So, I've just come back from seeing The Amazing Spider-Man, and now I feel the need to say my rightful anger thoughts on this movie. Anyone up for it?

Despite some stuff I definitely must gripe about, this is a surprisingly decent movie.

Two things I learnt from ASM:

1. Spider-Man is a gigantic douche and also the worst secret keeper ever. He reveals his secret identity for like 3 times in the movie.

2. Gwen Stacy is awesome. I think I'm in love with her.

More later!

Comments

• edited 2012-07-01 12:02:59

Okay, first off, things that I don't like (spoiler ahoy!): I am more lenient on the ground of Peter acting like a selfish jerk at the beginning of his career, because in the original Lee/Ditko run, Spider-Man does not become a clear-cut hero right away after the death of Uncle Ben (the dude just wants to make money, is pretty arrogant and has a vindictive streak).

But there is one thing that absolutely disgusts me: the car-jacker scene. Yeah, you know the one they kept replaying over and over. It's all about Spidey being a jerk to someone who doesn't really deserve it. There is no apparent reason for why he decides to humiliate that guy so thoroughly. I mean, he's a criminal alright, but he's just a car jacker and he hasn't done anything really henious yet. It's supposed to be a funny scene, but I can't help but feel that it is an example of the strong tormenting the weak for his own amusement (which exactly what Flash Thompson did to Peter at the beginning of the movie). I just cannot get over it. Absolutely revolting, I'd say.

Oh, and that scene is literally the only time Spidey uses quips on criminals. He does a bit of that with the Lizard too, but I don't count because he is trying to talk him down at that point.

Another thing I'm so excited about is the revised origin. To be fair, the movie executed it pretty well but it just doesn't feel right to me.

Spoiler:
    Seems like the new origin takes some cues from Batman:

-Peter never manages to bring his uncle's killer to justice.

-The inspiration for the spider suit comes when Peter, after getting in a fight with some hoodlums, fell onto an abandoned wrestling ring and noticed a poster with a picture of a red mask on it. " A wrestler? I got it! I shall become... a wrestler!" Prepare yourself for the Amazing Wrestler-Man!

Though I like that Peter inventing the web-shooter is quite believable,

Spoiler:
    since he copied Oscorp's design

• edited 2012-07-01 12:32:16

Now on to the stuff that I like: the other characters (Captain Stacy, Gwen, Uncle Ben, Dr. Conners, etc.) are handled surprisingly well. 

While all of the trailers so far go out of their way to make Curt Conners an unapologetically evil dick, he's a pretty swell guy in the actual movie (at least, until the dude jacks himself up with lizard juice, but that's a given).  

Spoiler:
    Also, it appears that both Dr.Conners and Richard Parker are screwed over by Oscorp, but Conners' involvement in Peter's parents' death is never revealed. The "You want the truth about your parents? Come and get it!" scene presented in all of the trailers? Never happened. Guess we have to wait for the next movie to find out.

My favorite character is definitely Gwen Stacy. She's a fanstastic character. I think Emma Stone nailed the role perfectly. This Gwen Stacy is no one's passive love interest. She's got a clear-cut personality, and she's also an intelligent and head-strong young woman who plays a crucial part in bringing down the Lizard's plan; plus her interaction with other characters (though limited compared to Peter) is pretty fun. I am now dreading her inevitable death at the hand of Green Goblin.

Please don't kill Gwen Stacy, please don't kill Gwen Stacy...

My other favorite character, shockingly enough for a guy with so little screen time, is Eugene "Flash" Thompson. Kudos to the film for not portraying him as a complete asshole (which is what I hate about Raimi's trilogy). The dude's got actual (offscreen, for the most part) character development!

Spoiler:
    I like the scene in which Peter acts being a jerk to Flash but then it's revealed that he was just trying to comfort Peter over the death of his uncle). Also, at the end, it is implied that Flash has become a good friend of Peter and a fan of Spider-Man. It's pretty sweet

• I'm a damn twisted person

Thank you for being our guinea pig so none of the rest of us have to see the movie. 

• Still gonna go see it, sounds better than the first trilogy at least.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    sounds better than the first trilogy at least.

but

spiderman 2

Forzare - let him go man. He has already made his own hell. 

• Feh, I'll take douchey Spidey over whiny Spidey any day.

But Miles Spidey is best Spidey anyways, so whatevs.

>Implying Miles Spidey is better than Miguel Spidey

>Not reading Slott written Peter Spidey

• You can change. You can.

Eh. Maguire was kinda lame but the writing was what made Spider-Man 1 and 2 so cool.

Plus fuck yes existential readings. 

And Miles is no Slott!Peter.

• Still, I think this is the second best Spider-Man movie, after Spider-Man 2. I'd recommend checking it out.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Were the previews misleading? Because they made it look really bad.
  • edited 2012-07-02 01:24:33

Yeah, the previews were very misleading. The main plot is done competently, though suspiciously similar to a certain Spider-Man: The Animated Series episode.

For all the focus on Peter's "mysterious" parents in the trailers, they didn't have much bearings. Well, the Richard Parker stuff is explicitly tied in with Dr.Conners' character arc and Oscorp's shady business, but nothing beyond that.

• I don't want to read the thread, cause I'm seeing this with my friend very soon. Just want to know in advance if there's any tearjerker scenes? My friend is rather sensitive and I want to know if I should bring tissues for her!

• though suspiciously similar to a certain Spider-Man: The Animated Series episode

I'm trying to think of how many of those I actually know, but I just remember all they ever showed was the stupidly long Sins of the Fathers episode and something on the interdimensional moon mass Marvel crossover.

Secret Wars?

All I remember is the Venom episodes and the end when they end up in an alternate earth with all of the spidermenz ever and it ends in a cliffhanger.

• I also remember Disney picking up the series and editing over all the death threats.  I might not be remembering right, but I seem to recall someone delivering a particularly silly DBZ-esque "send you to another dimension" when talking about what was basically an incinerator.

Err, that doesn't make sense, though. I mean, Spider-Man: The Animated Series ran from 1994-1998, while Disney and Marvel merged out in 2009.

• Yeah, Toon Disney picked up the reruns a couple years ago.

• Pretty much all the important deaths in the series are replaced with "throwing some dude into another dimension":

-Venom's "heroic sacrifice" is hurling himself and Carnage into a wormhole (or is it black hole?)

-The TAS version of "Death of Gwen Stacy" is just Green Goblin tossing Mary Jane into a wormhole, then he "died" falling into another. 

I think the only character who is implied to actually die is Mysterio.

Oh, and the episode I was talking about is

Spoiler:
    the one where Lizard decided to create a race of lizard peole for himself.

• edited 2012-07-03 10:22:24

Just want to know in advance if there's any tearjerker scenes?

As usual, Uncle Ben's death and Peter's fallout thereafter is excellent tear jerker.

Spoiler:
    The scene where a construction worker whose son Peter saved earlier banded up with his coworkers to aid Spidey in the final battle is damn heartwarming too. It's pretty much on the same level of New Yorkers throwing things at the Green Goblin from the first Raimi film.

• edited 2012-07-03 19:18:06
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Wait, hang on a second...you said that

Spoiler:
    Peter never manages to bring his uncle's killer to justice

Um...does this mean they skip over the whole "indirectly his fault" thing? Because that's...kinda half the point of Spider-Man.

• edited 2012-07-03 20:15:15

Uncle Ben's death is still Peter's fault, though in this version,

Spoiler:
    Peter knows who his uncle's killer is, since he saw that guy shooting Ben. In fact, the whole reason Peter became Spider-Man is to track down criminals who fits the burglar's descriptions. Due to the whole Lizard fiasco. that subplot is left  unresolved.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Oh, okay. That's acceptable.

• edited 2012-07-03 20:19:08

That's also why Spider-Man is acting like an obnoxious dick to the criminals he's captured (especially the car jacker): Peter is still very bitter about Uncle Ben's death, and he has reasons to suspect they were the person he was looking for.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Yeah, I just got back from watching this.

It was definitely much better than I expected. I'm not sure if I'd rate it as better than the first two Spiderman movies, but it's definitely a solid movie, and if not as good as those, then almost as good.

The movie isn't exactly like the other Spiderman movies, though. It's very much Peter learning about who he is and what it means to be a hero.

Spoiler:
    It's all tied together really well. Almost everything that happens in the movie relates back somewhat to the central theme; that is, what it is to be a hero.

The catalyst would, of course, be the death of Ben Parker. In this version, rather than letting a criminal go because a wrestling corporation robbed him of his money, Peter lets the guy go because the cashier in the store was a jerk to him, as Peter was two cents short on money to pay for a bottle of chocolate milk. The guy throws Peter the milk as he makes a getaway, so Peter doesn't stop him. Unfortunately, Uncle Ben was looking for Peter nearby, after they had had an argument (where Ben had told him Peter's father's motto; if you have the power to help people, you have a moral obligation to use it to help people.) Ben tried to stop the robber, and the guy shot him.

Peter, of course, blames himself for this, and he grabs a copy of a wanted poster of the guy who killed him and starts hunting down criminals that look like the guy. He's basically doing whatever he wants at this point.

Which led to what was my personal favourite scene of the movie; the Lizard goes on a rampage on a bridge, and he throws a car off the side. Peter webs the car and ties it to the bridge, but bam, there's a kid in the car. So, Peter crawls down and tries to talk the kid into climbing out. The kid is too scared, so Peter takes off his mask, allowing the kid to see that Spider-Man is a person, just like him, then offers the kid his mask, telling him it would give the kid the strength to climb out. The kid does, but the car starts burning, and Peter's hold on the car breaks- so Peter has to quickly web the kid, managing to save him.

Which led directly to the scene where the New York crane workers positioned their cranes so that Peter could have a direct webwalk to Oscorp, and save Gwen and defeat the Lizard.

Overall, I reckon it did a pretty great job at telling Spiderman's origin story. Everything tied together, and the central themes were never forgotten. Peter was a jerk, but not really a bad guy- just someone who's bitter because of all the deaths around him, and he's a decent guy when things aren't happening.

And INUH, regarding the scene where Peter pushes Gwen Stacy out of a building-

The Lizard was like, right there. Peter pushed her out and webbed her to safety so that the Lizard didn't hurt her, as she'd just hit the Lizard over the head with a trophy to distract him from Peter.

• Did you watch

Spoiler:
    the mid-credit scene?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Is the the one where

Spoiler:
    Doctor Connor is arguing with someone in the cell, and it looks like nobody's there, and they're arguing about Richard Parker?

• Yeah. Didn't catch any of that, since I left the theatre once the movie was over. Shoulda learnt from the other Marvel movies, but I figured this one was produced by Sony, so there wouldn't be any stinger.

Spoiler:
    Who do you reckon that guy was? Norman Osborn? Some say it's the Vulture.

I don't think it's Norman. Although it could be. Fuck, I don't actually know.

I want Normie. Normie's a bro.

Anyway, I watched with a friend. I lliked it. But I felt the changes regarding his Peter's origin like him not using it for money or becoming famous detracted from how powerful Ben's message is. It's not a dealbreaker but it is a subtle flaw.

I also felt that the movie kinda missed the point about Spidey's early adventures, like the fact that he did good and helped people who hated and feared him not because of a reward (emotional or otherwise) but because he believes on what he's doing.

Overall, I'