If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Amazing Spider-Man

2»

Comments

• No rainbow star

^ Overall you what?

• You can change. You can.
    I want Normie. Normie's a bro.

Anyway, I watched with a friend. I lliked it. But I felt the changes regarding his Peter's origin like him not using it for money or becoming famous detracted from how powerful Ben's message is. It's not a dealbreaker but it is a subtle flaw.

I also felt that the movie kinda missed the point about Spidey's early adventures, like the fact that he did good and helped people who hated and feared him not because of a reward (emotional or otherwise) but because he believes on what he's doing. That also falls into t
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Juan, is something going wrong with your internet or something?

• You can change. You can.
    Ugh, the phone's being dumb. Apologies.

Tl;dr: it has some things that rub me the wrong way as a long time fan of the characters, but it's pretty watchable if only because Ifans' Lizard with a british accent is hilarious.

And Emma Stone's Gwen is greatly performed but badly written which is a damn shame because Stone could easily be a great MJ on screen but they decided to make her Gwen because reasons

So...I was going to watch this, but...then I read Film Critic Hulk's writeup, and...:/

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

HULK HATE TO BREAK IT TO YOU, BUT HULK KNOWS THE GUY WHO BEHAVES LIKE THAT IN CLASS. HERE'S A TIP. HE'S NOT SECOND IN HIS CLASS. OH AND PROOF HE'S A DICK? WELL, THERE WAS A FIVE SECOND MOMENT IN THE TRAILER THAT GOT EVERYONE EXCITED FOR A FILM WITH WISE-CRACKING SPIDEY WHEN HE'S IN THE BACK OF THE CAR AND SAYS "SERIOUSLY, YOU THINK I'M A COP?" WELL IN THE ACTUAL MOVIE THAT "WISE-CRACKING" GOES ON FOR LIKE 5 FUCKING MINUTES IN A BIZARRE CASE OF ADOLESCENT DICKTITUDE THAT MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. SERIOUSLY, IN THAT SCENE HE'S JUST A NOT-FUNNY, OUT OF CONTROL ASSHOLE.

bluh go away. His attitude makes perfect sense.

• edited 2012-07-07 04:27:41
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I can get behind that part, but my problem is more the indication that he never grows out of it.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The character development is really not done very well, I'll grant you that.

Expecting a character's development to show up via attitude changes is kinda silly, though. That is the most blatantly obvious way you can show a character's development, and character development will often express itself through changes in attitude, but it's not the only way to express it. It can be expressed in a few ways; changes in motivation, changes in actions, changes in intent.

In this movie, Peter's character development is mostly shown through his changes in motivation and reasoning. He grows from being a selfish person at the start of the movie, to being a somewhat less self-absorbed person by the end of it. The scene where Peter decides to ignore Chief Stacy's promise and continue his relationship with Gwen Stacy because it was tearing both of them up pretty badly was one scene which didn't do it very well, I'll grant it that, but the half-second scene where Peter has to choose between going after the Lizard and saving the kid who was trapped in a car was done pretty well.

Also, I find it kind of annoying how the writer there goes on about how everyone treats Peter like they treated Maguire's Spiderman despite this Peter not having the flaws that would lead to him being treated like that, and then he starts going on about how this Peter is kind of a dick, and he apparently doesn't seem to see the correlation there.

The scene where Peter decides to ignore Chief Stacy's promise and continue his relationship with Gwen Stacy because it was tearing both of them up pretty badly was one scene which didn't do it very well, I'll grant it that, but the half-second scene where Peter has to choose between going after the Lizard and saving the kid who was trapped in a car was done pretty well.

Hmmm...I'll keep that in mind. I'm kinda of two minds about the movie, since I've been hearing a lot of legitimate-sounding complaints, but also a lot of legitimate-sounding praise.

Also, I find it kind of annoying how the writer there goes on about how everyone treats Peter like they treated Maguire's Spiderman despite this Peter not having the flaws that would lead to him being treated like that, and then he starts going on about how this Peter is kind of a dick, and he apparently doesn't seem to see the correlation there.

Fair point, but I'd argue that the mistreatment a nerd gets and the mistreatment an asshole gets aren't the same. Bear in mind, I haven't actually seen it yet >.>

• edited 2012-07-07 04:51:40
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

What I love about TAM is that Peter spends time stewing in his anger, living an unhealthy life hunting down Uncle Ben's killer. It isn't until he saves a life on the bridge and nearly loses the kid that he realizes what he's supposed to be doing with his power.

I read the comments, and it's basically... this. In the original Spider-Man movie, Peter's origin is over and done with in like... twenty minutes. Here, half of the point of the movie is to show how Peter became a hero.

Fair point, but I'd argue that the mistreatment a nerd gets and the mistreatment an asshole gets aren't the same. Bear in mind, I haven't actually seen it yet >.>

Well, Peter... doesn't really get any shit because he's a nerd. In fact, he doesn't really get a lot of shit in general, but most of what he does get is either because of his photography that he does a lot of, or is just general mistreatment because people don't like him. The first one is pretty nerdy, so people who pick on people for being nerds would indeed see it, and the second one... well, Peter is a dick in general. I mean, there's an entire scene where Peter just humiliates Flash Gordon because Flash did the same to him. (This is by no means the entirety of his character; he's a dick in some scenes, but a pretty cool guy in others. He's a teenager.)

HOW DID HE BECOME "CRANE WORTHY" SO TO SPEAK? AND WHY DID THOSE CRANES MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN HIS BEING ABLE TO GET TO THE TOWER AGAIN? CAN'T HE GO BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN BUILDINGS, LIKE HE ALWAYS DOES? WHAT DOES AUNT MAY THINK HE'S DOING AT NIGHT, GETTING ALL THOSE BRUISES? THEY KEPT MAKING IT SEEM LIKE HE WAS ABOUT TO ADMIT THAT HE'S SPIDEY, BUT IT NEVER HAPPENED.

Similarly, everything about the goddamned crane scene was explained within the movie. He became "crane worthy" because one of the crane operators was the father of the kid Spider-Man saved- and yes, the guy even fucking says that- "Hey, that's the guy who saved my kid!" Spider-Man couldn't leap between buildings like he always did because he was shot on the leg and he was limping as he ran and he couldn't make some of the jumps, as was implied several times.

As for Aunt May... That's very much a comics thing. Especially in Ultimate Spider-Man, Peter is always coming back at odd hours, or missing school for a day, and Aunt May gets on his case for it, and Peter just has to kind of suffer silently.

Hmmm...:/

I'm really just going to have to watch the thing and decide for myself, aren't I?

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

You can't really lose anything by watching the movie can you?

No, but I just find it hard to find the time to get to movies these days.

Yeah, you're probably just gonna have to watch it for yourself and decide.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-07-07 05:23:48

I'll grant Aunt May being the densest person imaginable re: secret identities is kind of a running gag in the franchise.

• Definitely not gay.

You can't really lose anything by watching the movie can you?

He can lose a few bucks.

I'm still pissed over the time I saved my allowance to watch Clash of the Titans. Clash of the fucking Titans.

Fortunately, this movie is not even close to being that bad.

• edited 2012-07-07 05:40:01
    Definitely not gay.

Oh, really?

Maybe I'll watch it, then.

Although you would really have to try to be as bad as ZOMG MONSTERS AND GRATUITOUS ACTION SCENES !!!!!!!!

• edited 2012-07-08 18:34:08
    You can change. You can.

Also, every buck you give to this movie is a buck for a movie that won't be Avenging Spider-Man.

To be honest, like I pointed out, this movie runs entirely on being something that is not Spider-Man and calling it Spider-Man. Doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable, but if you expect a good Spider-Man story (Man down in his luck, publicly disliked and so on and so forth) then you're on the wrong track. 

I'm on the fence as I see potential, but overall a lot of it runs on this notion of unnecessary change that kinda bothers me

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I have yet to see it, but I plan to.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.