If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Watching Boomerang has made me realize...

edited 2012-06-30 12:17:09 in Media
I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

...just how terrible most old cartoons are.

The JetsonsThe FlintstonesJosie and the Pussycats? Not funny in the slightest.

Comments

• You can change. You can.

how can you not love a cartoon where the cars move with their feet

how can you

• This implies most of today's cartoons are better.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

how can you not love a cartoon where the cars move with their feet

Simple. The cars do not have feet. Checkmate.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

It's also made me realize how racist people were fifty years ago.

For example, they just kinda used the phrase "Indian giver" and there was a rather uncomfortable silence.

• edited 2012-06-30 13:01:48
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

The thing about the Flintstones is that as I understand it, it was pretty much conceived as a parody of sitcoms of its time. As such, watching it now, the main joke is kinda gone.

The Jetsons, meanwhile, was Flintstones but in space, so I'm not sure it really ever held up on its own.

• They're somethin' else.

Ok, so we're all just taking snipes at Hanna Barbera, which truly does have questionable quality. What about the likes of Warner Bros./ Looney Tunes?

Looney Tunes is boss, and Warner Bros did Tom and Jerry so fuck everything, they are the best people in this plane of reality as far I'm concerned

• They're somethin' else.

Glad to hear it.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

we're all just taking snipes at Hanna Barbera, which truly does have questionable quality

Say what you will about their shows, if it weren't for them, animation would cost even more than it already does.

• Hanna-Barbera brought us Pirates of Dark Water.

They have earned their place in Valhalla.

Looney Tunes owns bones and I'll never say anything bad about the classic shorts. Hanna-Barbera, meanwhile, is so bad that its crowning achievement is Scooby-Doo, which is "good" at best.

• Hanna-Barbera made a Pac-Man cartoon. It was really shit.

• Hanna-Barbera's certainly more influential than most of today's shit.

• edited 2012-06-30 14:46:01
    Kichigai birthday!!
    I like Wacky Races.
    And Firebert, what do you not like about today's cartoons? We got some great ones
  • edited 2012-06-30 14:46:40

I'm just saying, there were great ones back in the day too, and that most of today's cartoons are also horrible outside of "some great ones"

• ^^^ That isn't saying much though.  Older stuff is usually more influential, what with having had more time to influence things.

• What I meant is that the old Hanna-Barbera stuff is still referenced in stuff today while I don't think most of the Johnny Test stuff today will be 50 years from now. There's good and bad no matter the era, and the bad vastly outnumbers the good.

What I meant is that the old Hanna-Barbera stuff is still referenced in stuff today while I don't think most of the Johnny Test stuff today will be 50 years from now.

That's not something you can really measure, though. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

That isn't saying much though.  Older stuff is usually more influential, what with having had more time to influence things.

They did invent a lot of budget-saving animation techniques, though, so in that sense it was pretty obvious that it was going to be influential even when it came out.

• Not everything ever can be measured, no. Mathematicians do not run the universe, thank God.

Yeah, but what I'm getting at is that while it's not an unsafe assumption, it is still an assumption.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-06-30 16:09:59

Hanna-Barbera made a Pac-Man cartoon. It was really shit.

Oh my god I remember that.

I wasn't even born when it happened and I still feel so old just knowing it was a thing without anyone having to tell me :(

• I'm a damn twisted person

Not everything ever can be measured,

Yet.

Mathematicians do not run the universe, 

Yet. 

it's because you are

• edited 2012-06-30 16:09:53

^^^^ I didn't say it wasn't.

^^ Lol.

• edited 2012-06-30 16:16:26
    You can change. You can.

Bluh, wrong thread

• Boomerang shows without a doubt that people can and will package and sell Nostalgia.