If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Definitely not gay.

I went as a Pokemon Trainer.

...Which is to say that I just wore my normal clothes with Red's hat slapped on and a Pokeball on my belt.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

We don't celebrate Halloween here, so I didn't go as anything.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

So, I'm back. My week hasn't been very good...

• I had my first experience in the workplace proper today: one day Casual job, moving computers around, plugging them in, faffing about with cables and missing things, etc etc etc. 8 and a half hours rounded up to give me 180 bucks total.

I think I'll spend it all on painkillers for my headache and sore feet.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Seven pages later, I'm on the last stretch of this damned paper: the Works Cited page. I'll post details to the General Writing Discussion thread once I'm fully done.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I'm having real trouble working on my assignments myself recently.

I can only get any real work done on them when I'm properly awake, not feeling tired, but that's not for something like two hours after I get up, and I'm back to feeling tired six hours after getting up, and I have things to do in between then.

But I only have like, two weeks to do a full half of this year's coursework :/

• edited 2012-11-01 04:55:58
    Has friends besides tanks now

Ugh. Literally a dozen sources. Almost took me a half-hour just to EasyBib that stuff. I hope I don't make this into a habit; the all-nighter habit is bad enough.

^ That sounds worse, though.

Hey, you can reference stuff, can't you? :D

No, no, I won't be that mean. :|

Wait, what

I have an assignment to complete currently, that involves referencing a document and changing several references into Harvard-reference format.

I was considering showing it to you, but that would be mean.

Ah. Well, I don't know if that holds any meaning for me, since the only citation format I've ever learned is MLA.

I know something like fifty different referencing styles now, it's kind of annoying.

I have to ask why so many exist in the first place.

Because different countries have different referencing styles, different universities ask for their own, and different fields ask for their own.

Basically, someone says "No, I don't like X referencing style, I'm going to ask my students to do it in Y way." Which results in a whole mess of referencing styles.

Countries and maybe fields, I can understand, but universities? That seems smug as hell.

Welcome to higher education. :|

Boy howdy.

And now I have to somehow complete this today when I am so tired I am nearly just falling asleep at my desk :/

Man, I have no idea how to use Microsoft Excel.

Is there anybody who would be able to help me figure out what to do with this assignment some time tomorrow?

• edited 2012-11-01 08:40:15

I can't help you tomorrow, and chances are I won't be able to help you today, but if you have questions I can answer.

Quick help for part A: To make functions, precede a cell with a "=" then write the function (e.g. =5*10). To make relative references to cells: =B4*6 or =C5+D8. To make absolute references to cells (the one you're asked for in one part), you precede that cell's row number or column letter with a $ (e.g. =$B$4*6 or =C$8+$D5), this will make it so that if you copy/paste/move around the cells containing these functions, the row and/or column they're referencing doesn't change, this one is specially convenient to make it so that a function always references the money-per-kilometer cell, even if you copy/paste it for each runner.

For the marks part, you use the IF function (  "IF(logical_test, [value_if_true], [value_if_false])"  ) so, to make an example of all this:

A   B C D E
    1   Mark 1   Mark 2   Grade Result
    2   20 25 =B2+C2   =IF(D2>50, "Pass", "Fail")

Hm.

Currently, my spreadsheet is set out like so:

Runner No. of Sponsors KM Run Total
    Anne 25 12  

However, I need to calculate the total value- each kilometre run is worth $2.50, per sponsor.

So, at the moment, my formula is such:

Runner No. of Sponsors KM Run Total
    Anne 25 12  =B2*C2*2.5

That works out fine, so I'm fine with that. However, I'm wondering; is there a way that I can set that formula, Bx*Cx*2.5, down the fourth where that's necessary, but then not have the formula fill up the space where I need the Totals to go?

And the other thing I'm not sure of is how to get averages.

I have the spreadsheet set up, but I don't know the formula.

Name Mark 1 Mark 2 Grade
    J Simms 20 20 ???

And... well, fuck it, I'll leave Part B for a while, come back to it when I'm less tired.

• You can change. You can.
     He was also cousin to Thanos, the mad son of Titan. 

After reading the Thanos series by Giffen (And Annihilation), I have concluded that this is indeed quite feasible (And that Thanos has as maddening a family tree as Ayato's)

Ah c'mon, one's a chainsaw-wielding vampire alien fashionista and the other's a snarky teenaged version of Sophia from Gnostic theology. What's not to love?

See, the thing about Homestuck is that everything that is great about is just great in paper.

Well, my idea was to have the one who was assigned "Noimporta" to decide which avatar they considered noimportean...

Read: Should have been green and three-eyed.

I wanted to go as Julius Belmont on Halloween, but I have neither the costume nor the appearance necessary.

I kinda wanted to do Ambrose Chase from Planetary but white clothes.

(I can only wear black for it represents my soul)

• Definitely not gay.

See, the thing about Homestuck is that everything that is great about is just great in paper.

Uh, could you elaborate?

I'm curious.
  • Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I completely agree with that statement.

• Definitely not gay.

I mean yeah, a lot of people don't like the comic. Hell, I like it and admit that it's deeply flawed (the plot's sheer complexity seems meaningless at times, and impedes new readers)

But that's not the thing. I thought Juan was a hard neutral on the subject.

• but then not have the formula fill up the space where I need the Totals to go?

Ehh, I don't understand. Are the totals' calculated values not showing up?

Also, note that the assignment asks you to use absolute references to cells.

And the other thing I'm not sure of is how to get averages.

I have the spreadsheet set up, but I don't know the formula.

The assignment asks you to select the marks' columns, define a name for them (in the Formulas tab) then use the average function (  e.g. =AVERAGE(Mark1)  ).

• >dat feel when Epica plays at free festivals during the summer season and you missed the opportunity to go

Also, internet is borked. Luckily there's plenty of open wifi which I can usurp in the vicinity.

• " See, the thing about Homestuck is that everything that is great about is just great in paper."

Good thing it's coming out as a book too.

Checkmate.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

A properly written book? Or a graphic novel?

• a little muffled

>dat feel when Epica plays at free festivals during the summer season and you missed the opportunity to go
    Amon Amarth played in Toronto last year literally as I was in a plane flying to Victoria.