If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Nyharlathotep-chaaaaaan! You said you wouldn't send Yith to take over my mind anymoooooore!

• ^^^Solution: don't watch shit series, since it isn't inherent in the medium.

• I think that kind of thing is just as common in Western shows, if not more so (modern Simpsons, anyone?). But using TV Tropes-style speak to describe shows makes them come off as irritatingly shallow.

You can do that with Shakespeare, dude.
  • edited 2012-04-17 20:16:25
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yes, and doing so makes Shakespeare sound bad.
    But it would be wrong to assume Shakespeare is bad because of it.
  • edited 2012-04-17 20:29:10
    Has friends besides tanks now

>that feel when it's been forever since I've found an anime I've well and truly enjoyed

Unless my memory's just shitting out on me that badly, the last one I really liked was either Nichijou or K-On!!, and I still can't bring myself to finish the former. Haganai's not doing it for me, though, so I think I might try Toradora next.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I might  try Toradora next.

Bad idea, unless you REALLY like the typical Rie Kugimiya-style protagonists for some unfathomable reason.

• edited 2012-04-17 20:32:15

Ah, right, I heard the tsundere in this one was especially bad.

I dunno, I'll probably either end up going with Ika Musume or Ano Hana.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

In general, any characters that have to constantly emphasize their single character trait get annoying fast.

This.

I feel one potential problem with thinking of characters in terms of tropes is the danger of thinking of them as just the sum of characterization tropes, rather than thinking of them as characters whose traits can be described (albeit imperfectly) by some (possibly variable) number of tropes.

• Likes cheesecake unironically.

Ah, right, I heard the tsundere in this one was especially bad.

Actually, the tsundere in this one is especially good. Taiga is the only "tsundere" character I ever actually genuinely liked.

I've only read the manga and part of the novel, though, she may be worse in the anime. An abridged series I watched had her complaining about being changed to be more like Louise (who is a really, really awful tsundere), with another answering that "people don't read light novels and love cliches". That pretty much implies that she was screwed up in the anime adaptation.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Is it just me, or are there other people watch animé but who don't really have an easily-mentally-retrievable list of tsundere characters?

• edited 2012-04-17 20:59:53
    Likes cheesecake unironically.

I mostly only know popular ones (not that I have any idea why they are popular). "Know" means here "I'm aware of them", though, as, for example, I never saw/read/whatever Shakugan no Shana and don't plan to do so.

Tsundere are very easy to spot. Just wait until a girl appears, who isn't nice to the main character. The chance that she's a tsundere is so ludicrously high, you shouldn't even hope that it's anything more original.

• edited 2012-04-17 21:09:53
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

what if a girl IS the main character?

I mean, there's only one animé character I can think of off the top of my head who is tsundere, and while she (Iori Minase) is voiced by Rie Kugimiya, she doesn't really fit a typical "tsundere to the male lead" role anyway.  Two if you count games, since that ropes in Sanary from Summon Night Swordcraft Story, though she's tsundere in her friendships (and not involved with romance).

Okay, I guess Asuka Langley Soryu counts too.

I think that a number of characters might have tsundere moments, but it doesn't really make them tsundere.  Maybe it's just that I rarely watch romantic series or something.

Well, still.  Looking to Eureka Seven, where romance is central to the plot, I can't think of any typical tsunderes.  Then again, E7 is rather atypical for a love story anyway, and definitely not a rom com sort of story.

• I liked Taiga a lot.  Then again, I'm me.  

I dunno, I'll probably either end up going with Ika Musume or Ano Hana.

Anohana is Clannad-tier as far as forced melodrama goes.  It was still fun to watch since Menma is cute and Poppo is a bro, but... yeah.

• edited 2012-04-17 21:14:32

Well, I went and watched the first episode of AnoHana. I can already tell that this will be a worthwhile viewing experience. Should have done this sooner. It'll probably be one hell of a tearjerker, though, so I guess it's good that I've started watching it during vacation.

forced melodrama

. . . Never mind, I won't ask, since I don't want to be spoiled on it. But I quite enjoy melodrama, anyway. I guess I'll ask your thoughts on it more specifically when I'm done watching.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I had this issue yesterday.

• edited 2012-04-17 21:25:41
    Likes cheesecake unironically.

^^^ Considering that she is very short and flat (like many such characters nowadays, thanks to a character I don't even really know), I would have been surprised if you don't like her.

There are a couple of Tsunderes I've enjoyed watching. Kurisu from Steins; Gate is one I liked as was Senjogahara from Bakemonogatari but neither were really the 'I-It's not like I like you or anything bakaaaa!' types. 

• ^^  Well... yeah, pretty much. >.> 

But I liked her for other reasons too.  I liked all the characters from Toradora, really. 

Asuka Langley Sohryuu

Naru Narusegawa

Winry Rockbell

Minami Shimada

I'm having a hard time thinking of other tsundere I liked.

• Has friends besides tanks now

There are a couple of Tsunderes I've enjoyed watching. Kurisu from Steins; Gate is one I liked as was Senjogahara from Bakemonogatari but neither were really the 'I-It's not like I like you or anything bakaaaa!' types. 

I liked both of them, too. Well, in Kurisu's case I mean she was one of the only tolerable parts of Steins;Gate for me. Senjogahara amused me to watch, but I don't think I could handle her company if I actually interacted with her, which is true for basically any tsundere.

It probably helps that they're quieter and not the "I-It's not like I like you or anything!" types.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Well, in Kurisu's case I mean she was one of the only tolerable parts of Steins;Gate for me.

I am terribly sorry, but I am now legally obligated to hire armed assassins. :|

• -looks up Steins;Gate-

The story of Steins;Gate [...] is about a group of friends who have customized their microwave into a device that can send text messages to the past.  

Well... alright then... 

Time travel shenanigans with a mad scientist wannabe.

Eh, I think Senjogahara's company would be engaging if immensely frustrating at times.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

She kind of reminds me of a couple of girls that I know, now that I think about it...

• You can change. You can.

hey

hey

malk

i just watched the latest young justice

i need to talk to someone about it

The season finale?

• No rainbow star
    Dishonoured looks like an awesome game (Steampunk Assassin's Creed with some supernatural powers (eg you can summon rats, possess any living thing (including said rats, teleport, freeze time, psychokinesis doors (and presumably people) down, and so on))

Publisher is Bethesda but the developer is a different group called Arkane