If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

That's not good.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

No big deal. I'm not working today. Probably.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Nothing like waking up to take a confused phone call from somebody. I even got my hopes up, thinking the place I applied to might be calling me.

• Sleepdeprived and busy with assignment during seminar, and still I keep more of the discussion going most of the time. It might be childish, but the teacher should really just give turns.

So, three hundred pages after the last time I said it, The Name of the Wind continues to be excellent.

• edited 2012-02-27 17:35:04

• No rainbow star
    My sewing assignment is due Thursday but now I have an excellent idea

We need to do a sculpture. So I'll do a really simple one. The point of it? It will tell a story through touch. A simple ill defined one, granted, but it would have a beginning, middle, and end, a climax, etc.

Basically, I'm planning on making it start out calm and smooth with the occasional bump. Then a large ridge that gets larger and more ragged. Then, at the end, silence. It would then get noise again and start all over
  • But you never had any to begin with.

Got Chloe's theme (imaginatively named Chloe) stuck in my head. 8luh 8luh, huge Noir.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Something from this article bothers me, although it's really just normal Paolini shenanigans.

Christopher bought himself a three-and-a-half-foot broadsword made of high-carbon Damascus steel and etched with an elaborate calligraphic design, accompanied by a black leather sheath, as a gift to himself for finishing Book 4. The sword was purchased from the only custom sword store in NYC. “I hope never to have to duel, but if I do, I would trust my life to this sword.”

Ah, yes.

This would be it. 

Paolini's work has always been full of the implication that the sword makes the man. Little does he know that a good sword in the wrong hands is a bad sword anyway. If you look at the picture in the article (presuming that's the sword he's holding), there's a few things that can be told about Paolini's lack of knowledge or experience in wielding a sword. That should be obvious -- no-one who knows how to use a sword thinks magic swords are honestly that great, to begin with -- but damn. 

> short blade length on a two-handed hilt
    > wheel pommel on a two-handed hilt
    > tiny crossguard 
    > using the term "Damascus steel" unironically
    > that above point isn't even meant to be funny

Basically, it's of a size that's only really suited to single-sword techniques (not much binding for instance) but carries the extra weight and balance concerns of having a two-handed hilt and a wheel pommel. Wheel pommels are good for single-handed swords as they provide a counterweight to the blade, creating a sort of natural fulcrum, but get in the way when trying to use a two-handed sword to its fullest potential. 

Basically, it's inefficient as a longsword and inefficient as a single sword. While some swords of that type existed, they were never widely used. His particular sword seems good for switching between one-handed and two-handed use at short notice, but the gain from that is less than the loss of efficiency elsewhere. 

And seriously. 

No-one who knows how to use a sword chooses a wheel pommel on a two-handed hilt after the mid-14th century or so. It is really really super dumb and reduces efficiency, control and the length of the two-handed fulcrum to such an extent that it could mean the difference between life and death. There's a reason wheel pommels pretty much disappear on two-handers shortly after their mass production. 

• edited 2012-02-27 14:19:59
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Damascus steel

I don't know much about swords, but isn't that the stuff that nobody's known how to forge for centuries, but is on the label of every useless prop sword ever to make it look valuable?

• edited 2012-02-27 14:28:45
    You can change. You can.

Honestly, this

“According to Paolini, he and Angela, a petite woman with intelligent dark eyes and a fantastic nest of dark, springy curls, have their own near-telepathic bond, not unlike Eragon and his dragon.”

bothered me far more

Shit, that's...that is even worse.

Though it's hardly news that Paolini is...not sure what the term is, but it's a term disparaging his merit as a writer.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I don't know much about swords, but isn't that the stuff that nobody's known how to forge for centuries, but is on the label of every useless prop sword ever to make it look valuable?

We think we've untangled the secrets of this steel by now, but the second part of your query is correct. Every sword salesman will claim to have Damascus steel blades, irrespective of what that means. 

Damascus steel has always essentially been a misunderstanding, though. It's really just pattern-welded steel made from Indian Wootz alloy. And that's really just steel that contained tungsten and other trace elements. Pattern-welding as a smithing technique was known to the Classical-era Celtic and Germanic tribes, and the same general technique (more or less) has been used in katana construction from the 13th century onwards. 

There is nothing particularly notable about Damascus steel except that it represents advanced sword construction in the Middle East, which is otherwise not known for producing particularly exceptional swords. 

• I finished my Katherine McBride cosplaaaaay~ <3

• I'm a damn twisted person

A hack?

• edited 2012-02-27 14:40:29

^^^Ah, I see. Good to know.

^Yes.

• No rainbow star
    Well, my professor said that I should consider MIT's art program for afyer I graduate ACAD. She also says that she's a hard grader yet I have an A+ currently

^o.o^
  • edited 2012-02-27 14:47:13
    Has friends besides tanks now
    "I finished my Katherine McBride cosplaaaaay~ <3"

Now I need to get my Vincent cosplay together. But I haven't played it yet. I'll get it soon, though.

^ Nice.

@Paolini interview: Can't say I'm surprised, honestly.
  • Got an app that's meant to help me sleep better by waking me up when it detects I'm at my lightest.

Fuck if I know if it works, as I woke up on my own 15 minutes earlier than I usually do after going to sleep quite late. I wonder if I can get the day off...

Those apps shouldn't work, unless you can reliably predict exactly how long it'll take you to fall asleep.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I have a dilemma.

I have Mass Effect on Steam, and Mass Effect 2 on the 360.  The problem with this is that I can't take as much advantage of the whole same-Shepard-over-three-games thing, and with ME3 on the horizon, I'm starting to regret this.

It's been long enough since I played them through that I could probably marathon my way through both games before I end up getting ME3 that the purchase of either game for continuity's sake would probably be worth it.

ijbm, what do

• edited 2012-02-27 15:20:59

Do a definitive ME1 run, then get ME2 on PC.

The ME3 multiplayer on PC won't require you to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold, so it's probably cheaper overall that way.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Good idea.

I'm downloading the demo of 3 now to make sure that I can run it on high enough settings to look suitably awesome.

Making multiplayer almost mandatory doesn't sit well with me. :/

• edited 2012-02-27 15:28:26

It's not. It lets you boost your "Galactic Readiness Meter," as do some other extra things, but you can apparently get the best ending without doing anything outside the main game.

More of a backup in case you screw up.

• edited 2012-02-27 15:29:39
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I thought that you could max out the galactic readiness (or whatever it was that the multiplayer helps with) just fine without it.

inuh, y u ninja me

I've started listening to Poets of the Fall, since their stuff in Alan Wake was so fuckawesome.  The rock concert/the garage fight with War playing on the radio were some of my favorite gameplay moments in the game.

Also, this song should totally have been in there somewhere:

• edited 2012-02-27 15:43:45

The only songs of theirs I got around to listening were War, Dreaming Wide Awake, Children of the Elder God and The Poet and the Muse (for those who haven't played Alan Wake, those last two are massive spoilers, and War's official video also has spoilers).

Almost is still a word. :| Ignoring its existence will not make it go away.

Yes, and almost means "somewhere near," which doesn't describe the situation. If it weren't there at all, you could still get the best ending fine. ME2 didn't give you anything to fall back on if you screwed up.