If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Surprisingly, I don't have anything to say in response to your latest post.

I'm not sure what you "screwed up in the TV thread".
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Well you just said stuff and I responded in kind, possibly starting another argument.
  • edited 2020-06-09 05:51:23
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Ah.

Well, I just left a reply. Surprisingly I didn't have much to say in response to that either.
  • edited 2020-06-09 22:09:40
    apparently this is a (possible, but not yet conclusive) thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_among_animals
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    ^ You remind me with this of that homewrecker penguin video.
  • edited 2020-06-11 12:01:33
    As a consequence of the fact that I started with a kanji-heavy [learning] regime,
    I was feeling I was getting rusty so I went through it again (Heisig's method), I just finished (or am close to finishing depending on how you look at it) and man, I really needed it, without realizing it at some point I lost the ability to really tell apart kanji, of course I could feel my way around with the hundreds I already knew well, but that's not enough, without having a one-primitive difference feel different I was seriously hindering my capacity to learn new ones or reinforce what I already knew. Now that I went through it again it's like night and day.
    I'm a bit burned out though, having done in a bit over 10 days what would normally be done in 2-4 months, but it's downhill from here so I'll keep at it.
    If we have a Japanese thread, I didn't find it.
    It occurs to me that I should probably take a better shot at this "learning Japanese" thing.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Meanwhile in Poland: Poland calls off Czech invasion
    me wrote:
    it's being strategic with choosing the battles I fight, because I lack the resources to fight and win every single battle.
    And I have been bad at this lately.
    Recently, I took a really extreme position to things in regards to who I give my money.

Rereading old posts, I discovered one where I basically said "I eat ice cream anyways despite knowing the rainforest destruction and (human) habitat destruction that are the obvious results of the search for more and more palm oil".

So I'm reversing my position in favor of moral consistency; I'll keep buying whatever I want even if the companies that make it are ideologically wackadoodle and donating to BLM Inc. (I'm not kidding, it's incorporated for real).
    @Stormtroper, if you get to writing that drama update, let me say my official stance as of now is more like
    >_>

<_<

-\o_O/-

-_-
    rather than
    *munching popcorn*
    ^^ Reminds me of a friend of mine, who is a fellow Democrat/liberal/progressive/whateverlabel.

friend: *buys Chik-fil-A*
    me: What about the fact that they support Republicans?
    friend: Well I vote against them, so it cancels out.

That said, I never bought food there myself. But this was mostly for a much more practical reason: in this food court, the Chik-fil-A almost always had a much longer line than the Taco Bell next to it. And I knew exactly what I wanted from Taco Bell. And it was very reasonably priced -- a decent (albeit neither fancy nor overflowing) meal, on the go, neatly wrapped (which is important when I need to take notes or type on the computer), for less than US$5.

Also, I will not be convinced that yer fried chicken is better than an opportunity to enjoy sour cream and guac.
    Since you brought up fried chicken: I never quite got these memes about watermelons, you know. I like watermelons. I don't understand why would anyone diss people for liking watermelons. Nothing better on a hot day than a fresh, cooled watermelon.
    Liking fried chicken and watermelon are basically old, and rather silly and outdated, stereotypes of black people, in the United States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermelon_stereotype
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_chicken#Racial_stereotype

By my understanding, and according to Wikipedia, the roots of this are the fact that watermelons and chickens were agricultural products that black people in the United States could and did commonly produce, back in the day -- particularly poor blacks newly freed following the Civil War. Chickens, of course, are cheaper to raise than pigs and cattle, and I'd suspect that watermelons are similarly easy to grow with regards to cost.

Amusingly, the Wikipedia article suggests that African Americans actually consume less than their per-capita share of watermelons.

Anyhow, both foods are delicious, and there's nothing wrong with enjoying them. It's just that sometimes you can tell when someone's trying to use watermelon and fried chicken to be a dick. And whoever does this should be ashamed of themselves, even if not for racism, for sullying such delicious food.
    And whoever does this should be ashamed of themselves, even if not for racism, for sullying such delicious food.

And that exactly sums up my point. Shame on them. (Although it makes me wonder if I could face problems buying a watermelon in the 'States. After we joined the EU and many people left to work in UK and Ireland, some of them got into problems due to unknowingly positioning themselves on one side of the Northern Irish conflict.)

Also, I found a cutesy painting that I posted in Images thread.
  • edited 2020-06-13 17:28:30
    I'm a little confused.

1. Why would you face problems buying a watermelon in the U.S.?
    2. What does this have to do with "the Northern Irish conflict"...and for that matter, which Northern Irish conflict, the old Troubles or the recent thing involving Brexit dragging Northern Ireland out of the EU only because it's part of the UK (despite its Remain majority in the Brexit vote) while Ireland itself remains in the EU?
  • edited 2020-06-13 18:51:52
    if you get to writing that drama update,
    It has sorta calmed down so I probably won't write anything. If I did it'd be sorta like "Glenn and wings were arguing for weeks then the US exploded then racism stuff then gender stuff then Saigyouji then conflict resolution then opinion pieces" but with links. No way I can summarize it succintly.
  • edited 2020-06-13 23:22:35
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    1. Why would you face problems buying a watermelon in the U.S.?
    2. What does this have to do with "the Northern Irish conflict"...and for that matter, which Northern Irish conflict, the old Troubles or the recent thing involving Brexit dragging Northern Ireland out of the EU only because it's part of the UK (despite its Remain majority in the Brexit vote) while Ireland itself remains in the EU?

Basically, what's under number two is an anecdote meant to illustrate how people can get into troubles by not knowing local conditions. I'll give you another example.

Like, imagine you move to another city. There are two footy teams there: the Blues and the Greens. One day, you leave your apartment wearing a blue shirt and get punched in the face. Turned out you chose to live in the part of town inhabited by fans of the Greens and somebody took your blue shirt as a challenge.

(This kind of shit may still happen where I live, although it's not as bad as when I was in school. Seems they mellowed out.)

Number two (ed.) one was me wondering if that sort of stuff happens in the US. Like, I can imagine a well-meaning white folk from abroad, buying a watermelon in a shop in a "black" part of town and wondering why all the weird looks from the black folks around.
  • Even with the US's weirdass race relations, I'd be surprised if that weren't an extremely rare ocurrence.
    Yeah, normal people (of all races) buy watermelons so it would not be strange at all.

Watermelons may be somewhat of a seasonal fruit though, I think.
    What about the fact that they support Republicans?

I think the main qualm was that they supported the Salvation Army which people with alternative facts claim is anti-gay. They've stopped doing that now. They are still run with Christian values, which means they close on Sundays, but they're pretty with it nowadays (supporting BLM and such).
  • edited 2020-06-15 05:10:24
    It occurs to me that I should probably take a better shot at this "learning Japanese" thing
    I think I burned myself out. It was kind of abrupt but flashcards feel like a chore now. I'll keep at it but I'll have to spice it up somehow.
    I've never found a way to learn vocabulary that suits me and I think I'd do well in learning kanji readings in some systematic way but I haven't found one for that either.
    You mentioned once that you're able to watch animu in Japanese, right? That's no small thing to do to practice the language, I'd keep at it.
    I've never found a way to learn vocabulary that suits me and I think I'd do well in learning kanji readings in some systematic way but I haven't found one for that either.

I think I'm like the opposite of this, and we've talked about that before. With Japanese I'd say it's a disadvantage versus a language in an alphabet/writing form I know.
    You mentioned once that you're able to watch animu in Japanese, right?

I guess I should finish Danchi Tomoo sometime.
    It's my birthday!
    LiveJournal was reminding me about that lol. It feels odd to say this after all the recent drama, but happy birthday!
    I can't believe you still use LiveJournal.

Your birthday is like, Halloween, so it's entirely impossible to forget even without LiveJournal.
  • Crud, I suppose there's no time left to finish that cake.
    Words will have to suffice. Happy Birthday!
    Oh wow. Congratsies!
    Thanks guys~
    I can't believe you still use LiveJournal.

Your birthday is like, Halloween, so it's entirely impossible to forget even without LiveJournal.
    I don't still use LiveJournal, but LiveJournal still has my e-mail address on file, in case I want to.