If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• "In a mad world, only the mad are sane!"-Akira Kurosawa, Ran
    Higher turnout than usual, which is good because lefties supposedly do better in those circumstances.
    Turkey shenanigans can make things swing wildly, perhaps. 
    Voted for a Turkish-Dutch lady MP with a good track record on labour/women/LGBT+ issues. 
    World is fuck so I'm still half afraid Prime Minister Wilders will be a thing. 
    First exit poll in two hours. 
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    It's rather amusing how many things have a blue icon in my (classic-style) start menu:
    * Waterfox
    * Start Screen (as in the default Windows 8 start screen)
    * Pale Moon
    * Steam
    * Microsoft Word
    * RStudio
    * MS Paint
    * Calculator
    * Sibelius 3
    and if you count partially-blue icons, C: as well.
    Labour lost hard, newcomers of the educated racist party got 2 seats, Liberals tanked a bit but can take the lead in forming a coalition government, hick racist party won a bit but not as hard as the polls suggested beforehand, massive win for the Greens, newcomers of the Turk party won 3 seats, direct democracy party also won a bit, but I'm pretty happy about the swing to the left. Shame about the equality party and the pirate party not getting seats (I signed a declaration of support, which is needed to appear on the ballot, for the former and was a part of the membership council for the latter for some time). Overall, a win for the left, for now. Update in 30 minutes or so. 
    Do y'all do first-past-the-post or instant-runoff voting?

Also, are the Greens on the left?  And who/what is the Turk party?
    Greens are left, yep. Turk party is new this election, a split from Labour, Turkish-Dutch peeps mostly vote for them, they are anti-racism but like Erdogan a bit too much. 

Also, all the details on the electoral system because it has far too much terminology for a noob like me to explain it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_the_Netherlands

The Netherlands/Turkey spat is a bit of a strange little thing going on, but in general I don't have a good opinion of Erdogan.  Seems to want to be a dictator.
    The party program of DENK in general has some authoritarian shit. A database for people who said racist shit online so they can't get gubbermint jobs (because that will never, ever be expanded to anti-semitism and then fuck over all the muslim minorities), pressuring citizens who live on a gas bubble to move away so it can be mined and also JAQing off about the Armenian genocide. Artikel 1 split off from them and is generally much better about anti-racism stuff without the baggage. Shame that they didn't get a seat. 
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I think I'm slowly becoming an athleisure person and that is terrible because athleisure clothing will not transition well once I'm in my late 20s.

Like, even the last polo shirt I got was a non-standard faux denim wash deal.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    A day will come, when the stuff I am supposed to do, I do in advance, and thenceforth I will not be late for every term but the final deadline.
  • edited 2017-03-18 18:32:41
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    lrdgck wrote: »
    A day will come, when the stuff I am supposed to do, I do in advance

Sadly, for both of us, that day is not today.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    I was really incensed by the reference to panama as a tax haven in the TVT euopean politics thread, a bunch of European Nations are worse Tax Havens. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
  • Nobody remembers Liechtenstein.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    right right left right right
    vandro wrote: »
    I was really incensed by the reference to panama as a tax haven in the TVT euopean politics thread, a bunch of European Nations are worse Tax Havens. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

It me. 
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Let's say I miscalculated the amount of time necessary to prepare graphs and pictures once the main body of text is written.
  • I kinda want to get into making tutorials for 3D stuff, but then they should probably be in English and maaaan, my accent would really get in the way.
  • Fantastic Mr. Fox appreciation thread
    > explorer.exe is unresponsive

"Die, process!  You don't belong on this computer!"

> restart explorer.exe

"If I can resurrect it, then the session will last for eternity!"
    Looks like I'm near the end of the stuff I've been spending the night on. Hopefully, the necessary final touches won't take me the last remaining hours of sleep. Hmph. Brings back memories of the time when you finished reports from your lab classes in wee hours of morning.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    vandro wrote: »

It me. 

What does It me mean here, Holland as a tax haven or "I feel you bro"?
  • edited 2017-03-20 05:16:47
    The puzzlehunting team that I'm a part of (at least for Mystery Hunt) actually won a puzzlehunt for the first time in its history: https://www.galacticpuzzlehunt.com/teams

(I can say "the first time in its history" since I founded the team in 2008.  It's got a totally different crowd of people now than it did then though -- only a few at most of the first year's members still show up for Mystery Hunt, though I'm one of them.)

Apparently we beat out some teams with some veteran writers/solvers, such as Dan Katz, creator of the famed (infamous?) Duck Konundrum puzzle format.

I wasn't part of the team that actually worked on this particular puzzlehunt, though, so I can't claim any credit personally.  All I did was pop in occasionally, bark up wrong trees on a couple puzzles, and leave bad puns in my wake.
    So at this point I can post an update that it looks like I pretty much completed that task, for now. I guess I'll have a day or two before I need to think about the next.
  • I like to think that one day people won't be divided anymore by sex, ethnicity, national borders, disability, or social class. Not that the people in power care, because they can do whatever they want. I'd like a regular job. I'd like to hang out with my online friends. I'd like to be accepted by people and not have to feel ashamed. Social justice warriors really blew it. We had a nice thing going there but the usual liberal complacency took effect and divided a cause that should have been united, resulting in people like myself who by all rights should champion and benefit from such a movement being shunned from their social circles and disempowered, and then the great hammer of alt-right fascism dealing its death blow. We could have so many nice things. We could share the food and shelter we have. We could share the (relatively) safe lands we have. There is no shortage of these things in the world. We could do what Jesus told us to do. I could be at the beach, or dancing, or shopping for candy and cute clothes, or exploring the big city, or partying, or traveling, or all the other things I do in my daydreams. But we can't have nice things. Life has to be a bitter struggle. We have to live in fear as pawns being controlled by the political elites. I'm very bitter about my life and I miss my ex-bf a lot. My therapist says my brain chemistry is just off balance and maybe that is true but it doesn't stop me from crying bitterly and feeling hurt. I'm trying to have fun and stay out of debt though and sort of succeeding. Barely.
    > You are watching 126 topics

> Clear all
    *press*

> Are you sure you want to clear all you watched topics?
    *OK*

Now for the next five minutes I will have thoughts about what I'm missing.

But given that I didn't really enjoy being meta with discussing anime, I probably won't miss much.
  • Bovarian Mammarian
    I like to think that one day people won't be divided anymore by sex, ethnicity, national borders, disability, or social class. Not that the people in power care, because they can do whatever they want. I'd like a regular job. I'd like to hang out with my online friends. I'd like to be accepted by people and not have to feel ashamed. Social justice warriors really blew it. We had a nice thing going there but the usual liberal complacency took effect and divided a cause that should have been united, resulting in people like myself who by all rights should champion and benefit from such a movement being shunned from their social circles and disempowered, and then the great hammer of alt-right fascism dealing its death blow. We could have so many nice things. We could share the food and shelter we have. We could share the (relatively) safe lands we have. There is no shortage of these things in the world. We could do what Jesus told us to do. I could be at the beach, or dancing, or shopping for candy and cute clothes, or exploring the big city, or partying, or traveling, or all the other things I do in my daydreams. But we can't have nice things. Life has to be a bitter struggle. We have to live in fear as pawns being controlled by the political elites. I'm very bitter about my life and I miss my ex-bf a lot. My therapist says my brain chemistry is just off balance and maybe that is true but it doesn't stop me from crying bitterly and feeling hurt. I'm trying to have fun and stay out of debt though and sort of succeeding. Barely.

The SJWs did kinda blow it, but I think some things have improved. Anyway we can't let Them destroy our spirits!

*gives Cream candy*
    I don't really know what "the usual liberal complacency" is and I kinda want to discuss/argue about that but this is probably not the place to do it.
    I think it was the pre-"Oh gods this is really happening" "There's no way this is ever going to actually happen because everybody exists in this exact same liberal bubble where we're all tolerant" even though looking back now there were so. many. signs.
    But given that I didn't really enjoy being meta with discussing anime, I probably won't miss much.
    I cleared my watched topics on MAL too, I just feel like all of the places I was going there was more negative than positive, which is weird for people who are on what is technically a fansite.
  • edited 2017-03-21 08:41:49
    Y'know it wasn't too long ago that liberals/progressives basically assumed that electing all the right leaders would make magic happen.  There was a brief period of time when all the right leaders (so to speak) were elected, but relatively little magic happened, and now, there's a realization of having to take matters into one's own hands.

Meanwhile conservatives campaigned on the promise that if only they were in power they'd solve all the problems.  You can see where I expect this to go.

Bonus points: In the case of conservatives, their wishful thinking is even less grounded in reality.  (With the possible exception of those crazy ones whose idea of an ideal life is a gritty survivalist multiplayer videogame, and even those are quite farfetched, short of nuclear apocalypse, and even in nuclear apocalypse.)