If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• There is a method to One Piece's madness. It's one of the few shonen where I genuinely feel like the author knows what the future holds for the most part and isn't just making shit up, given how plot threads keep tying together and so much stuff from early on hints at, or becomes important later.

Also, deadly martial artist assassin who can transform into a giraffe. Not gonna get that from DBZ.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

It's one of the few shonen where I genuinely feel like the author knows what the future holds for the most part and isn't just making shit up

Well, yes. But on the other hand, it's kind of... ridiculous. I mean, it's got a martial artist assassin who can transform into a giraffe, that's enough to turn me off right there.

Soul Eater kinda does the whole 'the author actually knows where they're going' thing as well, so I'd rather stick with it. And Naruto, but it sucks.

• Well obviously One Piece's brand of silliness isn't everyone's cup of tea. I'm just saying it's a little more tightly constructed than you might expect, which doesn't help you if the pervasive silliness doesn't do much for you.

• edited 2012-12-31 01:55:33
    Has friends besides tanks now
    "People - stop what you are doing right now and read One Piece. Right fucking now. Do it do it do it do it do it. "

Yeeeees

(Which part are you on? I'm guessing at least Water Seven/Enies Libby, which is still my personal favorite arc so far)

"given how plot threads keep tying together and so much stuff from early on hints at, or becomes important later."

Not to mention artistic callbacks up to literally 600 chapters into the future.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

But also bizarrely nonsensical characters and such. Mention the cons, not just the pros, dammit :|

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

One question to One Piece readers: Did Oda ever top the Whitebeard War arc in sheer badassery?

• edited 2012-12-31 02:05:14
    ^^ If you want cons, I'd much sooner turn to Oda's apparent weirdness about women. Disliking the characters is much more subjective, so, like his art style, I can't really call it a con as much as a point of disagreement.

^ There have been some pretty cool moments, but it probably won't (and shouldn't) be topped in sheer density of badassery for a while.

It's not the characters I dislike, it's the bizareness behind them. I like Chopper, but he's a reindeer who ate a fruit and now he can shapeshift into a humanoid reindeer.

I mostly like Luffy and Zorro, though, and they're probably the reasons I stuck with it as long as I did.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Running a fever, so probably not a cold. Can't be flu, though; I got flumist.

• edited 2012-12-31 02:11:17
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Honestly I don't particularly like the art style either, but I do think it helps enforce the tone of the series. And the fact that it doesn't take itself seriously at all makes me rate it higher than, say, Naruto or Bleach.

^It could still be cold. I've had fevers with colds.

• edited 2012-12-31 02:12:08
    ^^^ That's what I meant to refer to in your post.

how can you slag chopper, though

a humanoid reindeer is wacky, sure, but but Horn Point and Guard Point and stuff are cool and he's a crybaby doctor and
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

if someone wanted a fun shonen I'd recommend Adventure Time.

Don't look at me like that, it's shonen in spirit.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    Oddly enough, Adventure Time weirds me out.

how can you slag chopper, though

a humanoid reindeer is wacky

• Has friends besides tanks now
    why do you hate fun nova

why do you suck everest

thats why

Oddly enough, Adventure Time weirds me out.

Adventure Time is weird and I don't like it.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

I love Adventure Time. Best show Cartoon Network has had in years.

• Alkthash: I'm with you. I haven't really followed it since the end of the Whitebeard War, but I'm with you.

I watched fifty episodes of that and found it kiiiiinda boring, so no.

I found myself really annoyed trying to watch the anime for that exact reason--it was fun, but the plot just moved so slowly. Reading the manga was a lot easier to bear, because I read fast enough that it didn't feel like such a drag.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

I found myself really annoyed trying to watch the anime for that exact reason--it was fun, but the plot just moved so slowly. Reading the manga was a lot easier to bear, because I read fast enough that it didn't feel like such a drag.

Oh God, please don't tell me it's like the Naruto anime where the fight scenes are dragged out over multiple episodes just because the characters spend so much time standing still...

• Nova doesn't like anything, so that don't matter. :/

I like heaps of things. I go on about them all of the time.

I like Dragon Age, Naruto, books by Brandon Sanderson, Soul Eater, books by Trudi Canavan, The Dresden Files, Gunnerkrigg Court, Order of the Stick, Runescape, TOR, Fallen Enchantress, The Elder Scrolls, and heaps more books and stuff, and those are just my media likes.

• Order of the Stick

I'll also give that a thumbs up.

I like Dragon Age, Naruto, books by Brandon Sanderson, Soul Eater, books by Trudi Canavan, The Dresden Files, Gunnerkrigg Court, Order of the Stick, Runescape, TOR, Fallen Enchantress, The Elder Scrolls, and heaps more books and stuff, and those are just my media likes.

only half those things are good

50/100

see me after class young lady

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

but gunnerkrigg court is only mentioned once

• No rainbow star
    I liked xxxHolic... Mostly because of the disconnected stories with a main character whose only talent is being able to see the things. Enough to get him into trouble, yet gets him into crap often

I wonder if there are any other anime like that?

only half those things are good

50/100

Something doesn't have to be good for me to like it. Same way something doesn't have to be bad for me to dislike it.

that excuse doesn't work

you're in good taste 101

and you just failed the final

• No rainbow star
    ^ I like almost everything I read/hear/play/watch/etc.

Fuck, I even liked Twilight for a while

If Nova fails, then I'm pretty sure I just ripped it up, pissed on it, poured gasoline on it, then set it on fire