If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The TVTropes Thread

1235»

Comments

• So the problem here is what exactly is "critical analysis"? XD

• You can change. You can.

At the core of it, literature analysis is about breaking down a work to make it easier to understand via looking at each of the components in order to know how each of them contribute to the big scheme of the work and its purposes. There are a lot of ways of approaching this, according to your beliefs (For example, I think that the components give the work its purpose, not just simply tell you about it) but otherwise, I think that's the best definition I've seen.

• Back in Black

There actually aren't that many threads about TVT, you're right.  BUT, every thread about TVT has a high chance of becoming a drama magnet, and thus a headache for us mods, especially when those threads were created due in part to drama on TVT.  Such as this most recent time, when we got this one big-ass thread that got fucktons of drama and a ban to top it all off.

Yeah, but that's because he was an idiot.  TvTropes was completely incidental in that regard, because he actually derailed the thread away from TvTropes to cause that idiotic derail. 

• Definitely not gay.

Here's my opinion on the whole mess, reposted from BTL:

I stopped caring about tropes themselves halfway through my stay. I just wanted a place where I could meet young nerds like me, because as far as I was concerned TVT was just a nerd site. This led to one of its big problems: it's a nerd site, and when you have nerd sites you'll inevitably invite a few creepers over. 

Not trolls, mind you. Every site has trolls. I mean people like Chagen46 who are genuinely disturbing and are not doing it just to get a reaction out of people. One of its biggest problems was that it didn't know how to deal with these people. Sure, the occasional creeper got banned (like TheDarkILikeTouchingLittleGirls) but on a whole the site's methods were ineffective and just got people like TE and cutewithoutthe banned. 

That last part is what bothered me. Because the administration did not know how to deal with creepers, the creepers were allowed to run wild and ruin the fun of people like me who just wanted to hang out with other people like them.

That's why I stayed on as long as I did. I just wanted a place where I wouldn't be mocked or derided for being a nerd and bearing all the implications that carries.

• edited 2012-05-14 12:48:39

Wait, cutewithouthe got banned? You sure about that, cos um, that doesn't look to be the case, at least going from what I can find with "find post by troper".

• cute WAS banned, but was able to appeal. Other people like Firebert weren't as lucky.

• MrWMrW
    edited 2012-05-14 14:06:07

^Of course, Firebert really had no intention of going back either. He even made another account to tell remaining members that, but it was thumped quickly.

I think I remember that I got banned for simply yelling at them to ban me, and called out Eddie for good measure.

• I can understand why cute came back, but I cannot understand why people like cute would rather pretend all that never happened and continue to put up with TvT's incompetence. Maybe the community they built is worth it, but to me it's certainly too high a price to pay.

• ^^ Calling out Eddie was pretty cool on your part. All I did was post that silly image XD

• MrWMrW
    edited 2012-05-14 16:04:02

And of course, my remarks drew ire from Eddie's personal troupe of bootlickers. I barely care, though. :P

• What really surprised me was that no one reacted when Black Humor got banned. He was practically an institution.

• I was surprised a lot of people were willing to stay hush-hush for the sake of keeping contact with their e-friends. I thought that should have raised a lot of eyebrows.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Black Humor got banned?

1. When did that happen?

2. What was the reason?

The most distinctive thing I remember about him is that he was very anti-rename.  That's all I know.

• ^ Can't find the explanation, but it looks like he got unbanned, so never mind, I guess.

• MrWMrW
    edited 2012-05-15 10:35:09

I don't understand why they would go back there. Seriously, the place is beyond redemption. Any nostalgic value it might have should be nonexistent.

• ^ Simply put, a community that good is self-sustaining, no matter how bad the mods get--after all, where else could people go to find an equivalent? (Sorry, but this site just doesn't live up to that.)

• No offence, but I'm not sure I would want them here anyway. We're a different kind of people.

• a little muffled

@glennmagusharvey: He has an account here, you know. You could just ask him.

• He apparently got banned for ragequitting. Eddie says it keeps them from coming back.

• Back in Black

Feo, you do realize that you're acting semi-delusional, right? 

Well, of course you don't, because then you'd probably not be saying what you're saying. 

~sigh~

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Flyboy, I fully encourage you to voice your opinion, but please phrase your opinion in more diplomatic terms in the future. I disagree with Feo's perspective on the TVT community just as much as you -- a community that large will always be heavily fragmented, so it's impossible to make a complete judgement on the whole, preventing it from being overall "good" -- but at the same time, I don't want anyone's opinions to be trivialised. 

• You can change. You can.

Pretty much agreed with what the idiot on shining armor is saying. If you can't make a point and all you're gonna do is say "Hey, dude, I disagree with you. You are also an idiot because you don't hold a position similar to mine" then I think it would be much better if you refrained from posting or reconsidered hitting the post button.

• To change the subject a bit, has your opinion of current or former members of TVT been colored by witnessing their behavior?

For example, Draven was just some guy who posted on the Metroid threads before that little fiasco a month ago.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^Totally, I liked AHR until I found out about all that rape fetishism shit, and Major Tom was just "that one dude with the Touhou avatar" until I found out about...well everything.

• They're somethin' else.

I'm just gonna put it this way:

I've friended several of the Writer's Block regulars on facebook, only to realize why some of them have such a bad rep. Some of the writers have got to be the most entitled, butt plundered about everything, "your opinion is shit and i hate you" folks I have ever met.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I don't understand why they would go back there. Seriously, the place is beyond redemption. Any nostalgic value it had should be nonexistent.

You and I don't live in the same sentimentalist world, kiddo.

I liked AHR until I found out about all that rape fetishism shit

AHahahahahahahahhahaha OH WOW...Private lives that are non-disruptive to third parties' liberties are heinous now? Call the presses, a girl likes rape fantasies! THE HORROR!

• edited 2012-05-15 10:28:49
    They're somethin' else.

My opinions are with vandro as to the latter. Though, the one thing I didn't like is how she made it just such a big part of her identity that she felt incredibly wounded when she thought she was called out and called "an abomination". Indirectly, even. That's just not something you're supposed to get upset over.

• Champion of the Whales

Call the presses, a girl likes rape fantasies!

The fact that she has the fantasies means she may act on them,

Also: Stop the Presses! People find rape fetishism disgusting and as morally repugnant as paedophilia.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Well, that went downhill fast.
This discussion has been closed.