If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The TVTropes Thread

Comments

• Umm, that would be... harsh, to say the least.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Not really. We'd put an announcement somewhere prominent, and all they'd have to do to get in is say something other than "to talk about TV Tropes" in their application reason.

• edited 2012-05-11 17:20:36
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I don't think that I'd be okay with that. "TV Tropes shut down their forums, and I'd like a new place to post" or "Some people I knew from TV Tropes are here" are both valid reasons that don't necessarily preclude drama.

Maybe less leniency with bans and a big "DO NOT START TVTROPES DRAMA" stickied thread.

^ That's a little better, I guess.

^That's true. It would be best to just look at the applications and reject ones that actually look drama-y.

• Champion of the Whales

HH have said that if you want to talk about TVT then go to BTL and they have provided a link for it

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

If it means filtering out the dregs of TvTropes, I think we can afford to be a little harsh.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I'm not saying don't be strict. I'd advocate not letting in obviously terrible users, and keeping the banhammer close, but a word filter doesn't strike me as the right solution.

• Not really. We'd put an announcement somewhere prominent, and all they'd have to do to get in is say something other than "to talk about TV Tropes" in their application reason.

I can get behind something like that.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    Hey, I never said it was the solution I'd advocate for. It'd just be hella cathartic, know what I mean? :P

"^That's true. It would be best to just look at the applications and reject ones that actually look drama-y."

This is obviously the best solution.
  • edited 2012-05-11 19:44:23

I hope the fora stick around, because if they ever get closed we're going to get the worst of it.
    God, I know. On one hand, it would be hella cathartic to see the place go down in flames, but at the same time pretty much everyone but the TVT mods would have to deal with the fallout.

I wouldn't be against a one-two month auto-rejection of applications that use the word "TVTropes", should the Just For Fun subforums ever go under.
    That strikes me as a bit excessive, seeing as how you're likely to get people who say "Hi, you might know me as [username] on TVTropes!"

• edited 2012-05-11 19:50:43
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

For what it's worth, talking "about" TV Tropes is not the same as "TV Tropes shut down their fora and I want some place to have the same sorts of social interactions as I used to".

^ That, too.  Just the phrase "TV Tropes" getting filtered out would be a bad idea.

• I never meant that the solution was to delete the forums.  the reason Tvtropes has funding problems, and the reason bitcoin badges were proposed in the first place, is because of adsense violations, and the obvious solution is to ban the people ADDING the adsense violations rather than pretend the edits/posts were never made and using bitcoins to solve everything.

I mean, I hate to echo the SA thread, but if you have a group of people who persist in posting content violating stuff on your website and refuse to acknowledge that it breaks the rules, deleting their contributions will solve nothing because they will post faster than you can delete.

It certainly doesn't help that when someone actually points this out on the forums, the general response is "YOU DARE CRITICIZE GRORIOUS MODDU?"

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I don't think the mods' response is actually that, it's more of a response of exasperation and trying to minimize the drama.

• You can change. You can.

here's the deal, calling criticizing the moderation drama is...very not good. 

• About the catharsis thing... I dunno. For all its problems, the TVT forums are liked by many perfectly fine people and through which they've shared good and bad times together. Despite getting back at all those times it pissed me off, I think it'd ultimately be a shame to lose it all, specially to a financial problem.

That sounded way too corny, but whatever.

• Admit it guys, we've had good times there, or we wouldn't be here. I just wish we (or at least someone) could actually fix the place rather than pretend nothing is wrong or fix the wrong things.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Quick question: Can any of these badges allow my pokémon to use Cut or Surf outside of battle?

• They're not that Flash-y.

• Definitely not gay.

And if you have eight of them, you get to challenge the Elite Four.

• Bobby, Fighteer, Maddy, and Eddie, one assumes.

• Definitely not gay.

No, Eddie's the Champion. Ironeye's the fourth.

• edited 2012-05-11 22:56:24

Pretty much what Cloverleaf said on the last page.

Though honestly, if Yack Fest were to get axed, I'd kinda miss it. I had fun times there and HH wouldn't exist without the Trash Heap (or this place, for that matter).

• edited 2012-05-11 23:58:29

I've realized that TV Tropes is my greatest dream . . . Stop laughing, it's true! Sites like Goodreads are decent for finding people who'll discuss shipping and such, but they're not as good for finding people who're actually interested in critical analysis of media. TV Tropes is the first place I've found for such people--and not only that, the wiki actually trains people in critical analysis, albeit a less formal (and less boring) form of analysis than what's taught in schools. I want to see it grow and thrive, and even if I never get unbanned from the forums, I'll still do everything I can wiki-side to improve it.

The upshot of this is that TV Tropes is something I'm naturally inclined to talk about, and since I can't talk about it there (being banned), I'm often tempted to talk about it here. I'm trying to avoid doing so, but that doesn't mean I won't eagerly join in conversations like this one.

• People went to TvT for critical analysis? That's honestly news to me.

• yeah, uh, sorry, but no.

Tvtropes is, and ultimately always has been, a trivia database.  relying on it for literary analysis is like thinking you know everything about compositional theory because you are aware of what the rule of thirds is.

• edited 2012-05-12 01:34:01
    You can change. You can.

I've been trying really really really hard not to reply to this, but since is 1 AM, I figure that I might as well do it.

See, what bugs me about calling TvT an analysis site is and has always been the simple fact that the site doesn't really care about how media works. It just cares about cataloguing a bunch of patterns, trends and motifs that they find throughout their own media. Analysis is about what a work is saying and how the different pieces in the work work together to convey this meaning.

In all of my time in TvT, there were two kinds of people I've interacted with when it came to this. The kind who were well aware of this, and the kind of people who vehemently denied it, claiming that this is something that just high brow works do. And, well, denying the existence of meaning in, say, Die Hard or Spiderman 2 just because they are big movies meant to be popcorn fun reeks of pretentiousness, especially when you claim that this kind of movie is better by default, simply because it is not "pretentious", like citizen kane or [insert oscar nominee, preferably in black and white is].

This glorification of everything low brow into being automatically better, the claims that critics can't enjoy low brow movies were exactly the kind of pervasive anti-intellectual drivel that stops TvT from being a good gateway towards analysis, simply because it denies a truth behind art and it's that it has a purpose beyond entertainment and that while it's quite valid to not be interested in this aspect of art, denying it is the equivalent of claiming that LSD clears up your mind. As long as TvTropes is written with this philosophy in mind, without looking in between of the cracks of the sidewalk, so to speak, it'll always just be a catalogue. If you enjoy it, that's totally fine. But to come and claim that TvT is doing literary analysis...? That, my friend, is misunderstanding what literary and artistic analysis is.

^Well said.

I used (and sometimes still use) the site to get a basic idea of what a work is about if I hear about it and want to know what it is. Whenever people claim the site accomplishes some greater goal than that, I always get the nagging impression that either I've only seen the bad pages, or that they've seen so little critical analysis that they actually think saying "hey, I noticed that a bunch of videogames have lava levels" is critical analysis.

• It's analysis insofar as looking through a parts manual is analysis.

Yeah, that's why the word critical is critical there.

I apologize to anyone for whom it's not 2 AM. That joke seemed really funny to me right now, but the rest of you are probably facepalming right now.

• You can change. You can.

i often avoid finding out about a show through internet encyclopedias or whatever simply because spoilers, man. they lurk everywhere. they're little creatures of doom.

with that said, i still read the tvt pages after finishing a series or whatever from time to time for some reason. i think it's mostly because i'm used to it from the days of yore, but i think it's simply because i find the idea of "Hey, this guy did this thing that this other guy totally did in this other show" very amusing in and of itself. 

This discussion has been closed.