If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The TVTropes Thread

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^Every time anything happens on TV Tropes, this site completely turns to shit for a couple of days. It's been slightly better recently, though.

• edited 2012-05-12 16:07:10
    Has friends besides tanks now
    "You, especially, Everest, make it seem like every third thread is on TvTropes, when in the time I've been here I haven't seen that many at all, really"

It's more that if certain members come here from TVTropes (like, say, after a ban), TVTropes immediately becomes the hot topic for a few days, and it's really annoying. Not to mention that, frankly, you haven't been here for much.

I think the "one TVTropes thread" idea might work, though.

^ He put it more harshly than I did (I held back a bit), but it's true.
  • edited 2012-05-12 16:08:33
    Back in Black

Well, again, this is why I say there should just be one TvTropes thread.  It sounds like that would solve your problems better than any of the other solutions I've seen proposed.  It's hard to moderate a whole site for this shit; not so much one thread. 

Not to mention that, frankly, you haven't been here for much.

I've been here for a very long time, actually.  I simply didn't register until a few months ago, and didn't start regularly posting until just a week or two ago.  Granted, I didn't pay a terribly large amount of attention when I lurked, but I was here and there. 

I think the "one TVTropes thread" idea might work, though.

Yeah, that's probably a good idea. Should we make that this thread?

• ^Every time anything happens on TV Tropes, this site completely turns to shit for a couple of days. It's been slightly better recently, though.

Not true, a lot of drama has went on there this year (and December last year) without us being affected. Though your point still stands (or, considering those episodes didn't get talked about here besides a page or two in IJBMer Updates, your point is reinforced).

• edited 2012-05-12 16:14:11
    . . . Why didn't anyone think of this before, anyway?

I still want to screen for DravIchiGeNu's, of course, but the thread idea seems great.
  • edited 2012-05-12 16:15:26
    Back in Black

Yeah, that's probably a good idea. Should we make that this thread?

Sure, if you rename it, I suppose. 

. . . Why didn't anyone think of this before, anyway?

Because you were too busy being reactionary for the sake of catharsis...? 

• . . . Why didn't anyone think of this before, anyway? I still want to screen for DravIchiGeNu's, of course, but the thread idea seems great.

I think people've thought of this before, but was never applied.

• edited 2012-05-12 16:22:10
    ^^ Well, even then, there are others here who don't dislike the site as much as I do. Heck, some people here even still frequent the site.

^ Really? I feel like I would have hopped onto that idea. Depends in how long ago it happened.
  • Back in Black

Well, even then, there are others here who don't dislike the site as much as I do. Heck, some people here even still frequent the site.

I do.  Mostly because the forums can be fun if you're good at passive-aggressiveness. 

Still, I think you're way too focused on blaming TvTropes for everything.  TvTropes is annoying and at times awful, but it's not omnipresent and it's not worth the amount of hate you seem to have for it. 

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

It's a simple, observable truth that we've had to deal with TVT drama by proxy, multiple times. Most recently, a banned TVT user started a bunch of drama by bringing here what got him banned on TVT. Pretty much every time something disruptive happens, it's by proxy of TVT. Usually via banned TVT members who think their behaviour will fly here. 

• Back in Black

So then your problem is a bad user.  TvTropes can be blamed in a very indirect sense, in that this bad user got here from our inherent connection to TvTropes, but considering that you said yourself that these bad users are usually banned from TvTropes, it's not as if TvTropes is endorsing their behavior while we don't.  They're bad users, and they'd be bad users even if they got here from outside TvTropes. 

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

In the case of our most recent dramatic upsurge, TVT provided an enabling environment for the bad user in question. There's also the fact that people have a perception of this place as a sort of TVT "afterparty", where behaviour not normally allowed is acceptable.

Besides, it's just an observable pattern -- heavy discussion of TVT leads us nowhere and often just ends up stirring the shit basin. I disagree without outright banning discussion of it, but at the same time there needs to be a limit so we don't encourage focus on the place (as was liable to happen in the past). This isn't about hating on TVT -- hell, if anything, it's about neutrality. Most often, drama revolves around TVT being bashed and that goes nowhere. 

Obviously, discussing about the site will occur naturally in some contexts, but we don't want to encourage "political" discussion of TVT because of reasons already explained. There's nothing to be said that hasn't been said, and it's high time for this community to move on. 

• Yeah, that's probably a good idea. Should we make that this thread?

We had something like that on HH; it ended up being much more trouble than it was worth and the only consistent source of drama on the site, so eventually we just got rid of it and instated a general rule against TVT drama talk. I think the thing is that having a TVT thread encourages otherwise level-headed people to go there and complain about TVT.

• edited 2012-05-12 16:48:58
    Back in Black

@Madass,

This is true, and regardless of where they come from bad users should be gotten rid of.  However, what concerns me is not whether or not we allow discussion of TvTropes here (I don't much care), but rather what the policy for actually letting people in is.  If we went with the totalitarian nonsense being proposed half-jokingly before I myself wouldn't have been able to join, and I don't personally think I've been a bad user in any real way.  I think bad users should be punished, not a whole group of potential users just because of where they come from.

By having just one thread on the matter, we can contain and perhaps even direct the flow of TvT conversation, and thus curtail drama and also help TvTropes-originating users branch out, rather than having them just creating strings of TvTropes-related threads.  To me, this is the best overall solution, because to me, the problem was never users from TvTropes, but rather the moderation strategy being used to deal with it. 

• edited 2012-05-12 16:48:13
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I think the thing is that having a TVT thread encourages otherwise level-headed people to go there and complain about TVT.

That's definitely a concern.

If we went with the totalitarian nonsense being proposed half-jokingly before

And...that's not going to happen. Why are we still talking about this?

• edited 2012-05-12 16:57:15
    Back in Black

And...that's not going to happen. Why are we still talking about this?

Because Everest has brought it up repeatedly and I have no reason to think it wouldn't have been done if some other option hadn't been found, in the long-run of things...? 

• edited 2012-05-12 16:55:21
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I have no reason to think it wouldn't have been done if some other option hadn't been found, in the long-run of things...? 

Because Glenn and I at least posted saying that auto-rejecting TV Tropes users was a bad idea, and I doubt we'd go through with something as big as that without a modteam consensus?
  • Champion of the Whales

Wouldn't it be better to funnel people to Beyond the Lampshade?

• Back in Black

Because Glenn and I at least posted saying that auto-rejecting TV Tropes users was a bad idea, and I doubt we'd go through with something as big as that without a modteam consensus?

Fair enough, though I'm not so much convinced as I don't really feel like arguing the issue with you. 

• We had something like that on HH; it ended up being much more trouble than it was worth and the only consistent source of drama on the site, so eventually we just got rid of it and instated a general rule against TVT drama talk. I think the thing is that having a TVT thread encourages otherwise level-headed people to go there and complain about TVT.

It's interesting: when there were flare-ups of TVT-related drama, it worked very well at keeping it contained. But when things were quiet, it seemed to just encourage pointless arguing. It's like the presence of a TVT-specific thread kept people thinking about TVT stuff when otherwise they wouldn't have cared.

That said, we also found that the other extreme, i.e., prohibiting all mentions of TVT, was more trouble than it was worth as well. You don't really notice until you're specifically policing it, but you get a lot of people making casual references to TVT (to compare the site layout or to ask what someone's username there was) that wouldn't have led to drama anyway.

(Not to mention the people who think saying "the site that must not be named" doesn't count as talking about TVT. -_-)

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

wow those are some really shitty looking badges

inorite

you'd think he'd at least put some effort into it

Because Everest has brought it up repeatedly and I have no reason to think it wouldn't have been done if some other option hadn't been found, in the long-run of things...?  

GMH would not have gone for that, full stop.

It was pretty obvious Everest wasn't being overly serious about it.

Several other mods disagreed pretty quickly.

There were a lot of points against it that became pretty obvious as soon as you actually thought about it.

And last, but probably not least; the mods here aren't dumb enough to try and institute something like that anyway.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

[@Juan] 3) Having been to the forums, much of the analysis I've seen on media has always been based around some, uh, bothersome rhetoric, especially related to sexuality and works.

Incomplete, lopsided analysis is still analysis. :P

Anyway, it's kinda ironic that...
    editors sincerely believe that analysis is inherently dull, boring and just for stuffy academics
    ...yet they actually do it themselves, to some extent.  Just not in any formal or even very much organized manner.

[@Flyboy] It's "less formal and less boring" because it's not analysis at all, it's long pages of wankery about "things that happened in X work of fiction that is usually an anime or video game, or a summer action film if you're lucky," not actual literary analysis in any meaningful sense. 

It's not analysis in any formal sense that gives a well-organized perspective on the greater meaning of a work, but it is analysis in the sense of being people's wrestling with that question to various extents.

[@Everest] You people are taking my auto-rejection joke-that-was-admittedly-not-phrased-too-jokingly-at-first-so-I-apologize-for-that too seriously. Keep in mind my stance on TVTropes. :P

Yep, just because I say that a feature is possible doesn't mean that I support its implementation.

[@Flyboy] You, especially, Everest, make it seem like every third thread is on TvTropes, when in the time I've been here I haven't seen that many at all, really.

There actually aren't that many threads about TVT, you're right.  BUT, every thread about TVT has a high chance of becoming a drama magnet, and thus a headache for us mods, especially when those threads were created due in part to drama on TVT.  Such as this most recent time, when we got this one big-ass thread that got fucktons of drama and a ban to top it all off.

[@Stormtroper] Not true, a lot of drama has went on there this year (and December last year) without us being affected.

You're right, that we don't get threads about every bit of drama (thank goodness for the rule here and there against drama import/export), but when we do they're liable to becoming drama magnets.

[@Bastion]We had something like that on HH; it ended up being much more trouble than it was worth and the only consistent source of drama on the site, so eventually we just got rid of it and instated a general rule against TVT drama talk. I think the thing is that having a TVT thread encourages otherwise level-headed people to go there and complain about TVT.

I really wouldn't like to make a blanket rule against discussing TVT here, as I really enjoy the free speech atmosphere here and such a rule would go against the spirit of this site as a place to talk about (almost) anything and everything.

The issue, I think, is how to make sure whatever conversation we're having about TVT issues remains intelligent and level-headed.

[@Whale]Wouldn't it be better to funnel people to Beyond the Lampshade?

Yeah, isn't BTL basically the place to talk about TVT policy and userbase issues anyway?

[@Cloverleaf]It's interesting: when there were flare-ups of TVT-related drama, it worked very well at keeping it contained. But when things were quiet, it seemed to just encourage pointless arguing. It's like the presence of a TVT-specific thread kept people thinking about TVT stuff when otherwise they wouldn't have cared.

Interesting observation.  That at least tells us that this thread here shouldn't be on the useful threads list.

• You can change. You can.

Incomplete, lopsided analysis is still analysis. :P

Should have said commentary. Analysis barely fits what I've actually seen there.

• edited 2012-05-14 01:03:03

It is analysis, but not critical analysis. The term "analysis" doesn't mean much; it would apply to a site that kept statistics on what book cover colors are most common.

Well, keeping stats on book cover colors is just keeping stats, but when you start asking what those cover color trends mean then it starts being analysis.

• You can change. You can.

Yes, but we don't mean just any type of analysis. I mean, otherwise, we wouldn't really be having this debate at all. We're referring specifically to critical analysis, albeit using analysis as a shorthand/abbreviation for it.

• edited 2012-05-14 01:06:14

^^Okay, so a site that kept stats on what colors are common for what genres, then. My point is that just saying something is analysis doesn't mean much.

Fair enough.  What counts as critical analysis?

Analyzing why the work does what it does, and what it's trying to convey by doing so.

That might not be the best definition >.>

This discussion has been closed.