If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The X Parasites

13»

Comments

• You can change. You can.

The thing is, Metriod Prime is a first person shooter and an action adventure game. There should be no problems with accepting both facts, unless you are a butthurt piece of ass that cannot accept a metroid game is in the same category with call of duty, which is in the same category as bioshock, by the way.

The thing is, labelling needs to be as simple as it can be. 

Honestly, my issue is more that Metroid Prime is really its own thing, borrowing from both older Metroid games and first person shooters in the first place. Calling it an FPS is not really a misnomer, but it still doesn't feel right simply because the label overemphasizes an aspect that the game itself downplays

• edited 2012-05-10 21:29:28
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^That's the thing. I never got the feeling that Prime downplayed combat over exploration or vice versa (if anything Deus Ex does that more), and even if it did I don't see why the FPS label would be a misnomer.

For what is worth, I wouldn't call Deus Ex an FPS either. At least, not if I was seriously describing it as opposed to just telling you how it was promoted or being extremely laconic.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

The thing is, that implies a first person shooter can't be an exploration game or feature a heavy narrative, and it is in bad faith that one would do that, or is the original half-life not an FPS?

I wouldn't say that Half-Life featured a heavy narrative or that it was an exploration game. 

As for the first one, not entirely. My point is not that Metroid Prime is not an FPS, but that Metroid Prime is many things, including an FPS and an Adventure Game, and labelling it just as an FPS seems kinda wrong to me, because it simply doesn't point out the thing that most agree is the main attraction (IE: The exploration)

• *Half-assed pun about people in this thread seeming kinda cross*

The exploration game thing was Metroid Prime. I do think Half-Life features a pretty big narrative, though.

labelling it just as an FPS seems kinda wrong to me, because it simply doesn't point out the thing that most agree is the main attraction (IE: The exploration)

Still implies a shooter can't have a wider appeal than shooting things, this is a paradigm that really needs to be adressed and dealt with, preferibly with a gun to the temples.

Look at it this way, man: You're someone who has a casual interest in videogames and very few experiences with them. All the FPSs you have played are the big ones everyone knows (Call of Duty, Halo, that sort of AAA game)

You want to buy a game like them. Now you search for FPSs online and you stumble upon Metroid Prime, think the cover is cool and decide to buy it. But then you realize the product is not what you want. 

Doesn't mean that FPS can't have exploration (Hell, genres are really a loose concept that is only helpful for buyers, at the core of it all), simply that for a buyer's convenience, I don't think it should be labelled as an FPS.

Your logic falls flat early on, you know why Metroid Prime is a single player game.

Your casual player would not try to buy a game that's only single player.

• edited 2012-05-10 22:12:12
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^Where does the assumption that a casual player will only seek out single player games come from?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I think vandro means the type of gamer who likes stereotypical FPS games but also doesn't have enough knowledge of gaming to know what Metroid is.

He said specifically that they would not, because a casual player normally enjoys multiplayer, which kinda misses the point that it really doesn't matter, because part of the point is that the research is poorly done (which is what usually happens when someone just has a passing interesting on something

• edited 2012-05-10 22:17:42
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I totally get your point.  He's just saying that the consideration your point makes is moot since such semi-casual FPS players are usually more interested in multiplayer capabilities anyway, as evidenced by how much audience multiplayer Halo and multiplayer Counter-Strike enjoy, as opposed to single-player.

I didn't mean any casual player, I meant the one in the specific example, if he only plays call of duty and halo and the like, he is not trying to get a single experience.

I figured that, but i don't see why can't someone enjoy Halo or Call of Duty for their sole campaign just as well.

Let's look at it at another way: Why can't someone who enjoys the Halo single player campaign enjoy metroid prime? You are still assuming things about the casual crowd that don't speak very highly of your opinion of them.

Chances are they could enjoy the product (Hell, for all I know, chances are, more than one person discovered Metroid Prime that way). The point isn't that. The point is simply that the buyer doesn't get the product he was searching for, for better or for worse. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^ I think one specific reason I've seen cited is that Metroid Prime has target locking.