If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The X Parasites

edited 2012-05-04 12:14:28 in IJAM
Definitely not gay.

They're basically a cross between the Thing (the horror movie monster) and Doomsday. That sentence alone should give you an idea as to how cool they are. Really, if you need an example of the Metroid series' creativity, you only need to turn to these little blobs.

Also the SA-X is creepy as fuck 

Comments

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Fusion doesn't get enough love.
  • edited 2012-05-04 12:19:06
    Definitely not gay.

Neither does Metroid lore in general.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Fusion is quite good. I got it from the 3DS ambassador thing, but haven't finished it yet.

• Metroid Fusion is the only Metroid game I played for more than like 15 minutes.  I beat it, and liked it I think, but I don't really remember much about it.

Certainly, I know I didn't care one bit about the lore though.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Fusion was the first Metroid game I ever finished, I think.

I...

Wow, I just realized that I haven't ever finished a Metroid game. Despite how much I love the series.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Fusion is scary as fuck.

It's a survival horror game, no doubt about it.

And it don't need no cheesy zombie hordes either.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Fusion is kinda underrated I agree. Though the Prime series is far far superior.

Though, fuck Fusion anyway. That game terrified me as a kid.

I've finished Fusion, Zero Mission, and the first Prime.

And yeah, the SA-X was scary as hell when I was a kid.
  • All I will say is that Fusion needs more love.

Also fuck that spider boss.
  • But you never had any to begin with.

We totally need a Prime style Fusion remake. /worstterrifyingidea

Fusion is not that popular among traditional Metroid fans because of its linearity, I know.

However, I really like Fusion's sense of atmosphere.  That is top-notch.  Don't let the colorfulness of the game fool you; it is really damn scary.  Kenji Yamamoto's music also helps.

• So, chances that this will turn into the general Metroid thread?
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Really, Fusion did what Other M tried, did it first and better.

You mean make a Metroid game with plot?

• I'm a damn twisted person

They're basically a cross between the Thing (the horror movie monster) and Doomsday. That sentence alone should give you an idea as to how cool they are.

> Doomsday

>Cool

>costanza.jpg

Comic nerds, assemble the posse to beat this heresy out of this fellow poster!

Seriously though, the Metroid Prime and Fusion games are great fun. I should get through playing through the Prime Trilogy I have for the Wii, but the Omega Pirate sounds like even more of a headache than he was on the gamecube.

• edited 2012-05-04 14:40:09
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^More like giving Samus some character.

• a little muffled

It is hard to not make a "The Hex Parasites" snowclone.

• Definitely not gay.

I hate how Ice Missiles don't open the beepy alarm doo-OH GOD NO PLEASE

• You can change. You can.

I actually didn't click on this thread because I totally forgot about these guys.

Anyway, Fusion was my first Metroid game and it was really a great experience. People always say that Metroid is obviously inspired by Alien and blah blah blah, but I think this is the only actual story in the Metroid series that runs along with that heritage and turns it into a really immersive game. 

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Nah, Super did that really well. Of course, Super was my introduction to the series and, at the time, it had the most oppressive atmosphere of any game I had ever played. The experience of exploring first the derelict space station and then a planet inhabited almost exclusively by hostile organisms with little to no guidance was a strong one. Metroid games are at their strongest, I feel, when you feel absolutely alone and that's why I feel the original Prime game was the strongest Metroid ever. It really takes that lonely experience to its logical conclusion with the addition of a first-person perspective literally through Samus' visor (and I do consider that an act of simple genius) and the various logs you find. Prime 2 and 3 sullied themselves a bit (while still being strong games, mind) by adding consistent allies throughout themselves. 

Prime 2 didn't have much allies. And your thoughts on Hunters?

Oh, I forgot Hunters existed. I guess I have finished a Metroid game.

I finished Zero Mission and that's it. Lacking consoles has made me experience the Prime series as an spectator at my friends' house.

• Definitely not gay.

Metroid games are at their strongest, I feel, when you feel absolutely alone 

This. 

This is also what I like about Castlevania: its sense of loneliness. There are no stupid party members, it's just you and your whip.

Prime 2 didn't have much allies. And your thoughts on Hunters?

I thought Hunters was a competent game, but mediocre all the same. 

Mediocre how?

I'm not Alex, so his reason might be different, but while it was put together fine, there wasn't anything especially interesting about it.

I don't really remember much from it, which is telling in comparison to the memories I have of other Metroid games, but I do recall it being kind of sparse, bare and empty. And while the idea of tracking quarry was a good one, making that quarry other bounty hunters felt weird because it wasn't about the environment anymore, and the environment in Metroid is often like a character in its own right -- sort of the same way the Ring is a character in LotR. 

Perhaps if Hunters wasn't a Metroid game I would have liked it more, but it wasn't very interesting to me, lacking the atmosphere and oppression I play Metroid games for in the first place. Metroid's strength is in how it flirts with mystery and horror, keeping its audience ignorant of the threats facing them. Much like, say, Alien vs. Predator, its one of very few success stories when it comes to mixing fear with action gameplay. 

• edited 2012-05-05 01:22:24
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

The multiplayer was top-notch. I can say that with total security. But then, that's not the campaign. To me, an enviroment is only as good as the world it is set in, horror is not my genre so to me mystery are just a puzzle to solve, not something to awe. To me, other characters are a welcome addition, otherwise it feels entirely bizzare to have a bounty hunter for main character. They are not lone wolves, they are mercenaries.