If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The X Parasites

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yeah, that was pretty cool to have, though I never got to play it much.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.

I have to agree, actually. The multiplayer was certainly great taken on its own merits. I don't necessarily "approve" of multiplayer in a Metroid game, given that Metroid's atmosphere comes from the lonely experience, but for what it was, the multiplayer was a lot of fun and pretty tight. 

• You can change. You can.

Nah, Super did that really well. Of course, Super was my introduction to the series and, at the time, it had the most oppressive atmosphere of any game I had ever played. The experience of exploring first the derelict space station and then a planet inhabited almost exclusively by hostile organisms with little to no guidance was a strong one. Metroid games are at their strongest, I feel, when you feel absolutely alone and that's why I feel the original Prime game was the strongest Metroid ever. It really takes that lonely experience to its logical conclusion with the addition of a first-person perspective literally through Samus' visor (and I do consider that an act of simple genius) and the various logs you find. Prime 2 and 3 sullied themselves a bit (while still being strong games, mind) by adding consistent allies throughout themselves.

Oh, I'm not saying that Fusion was the better experience, mind, I just think that it's the only game from the Metroid saga where the Alien influence really shows. 

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I suppose you could consider it like that based on how the plot is sort of an Alien lift in some respects, but I think other games (such as Super) were actually better at capturing the less quantifiable aspects of the film. The atmosphere would be chief among those factors, in my opinion. Fusion wasn't nearly as sterile as Hunters, for instance, but I still don't think it nailed the otherworldliness and vulnerability associated with Super -- and, for that matter, Alien. 

• edited 2012-05-05 12:54:30
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

But super is a rehash of the original...You could say that of Metroid II or the original but Super is something of an updated graphics version of the original.

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

Super is a completely different game than the original.

The remake of the original is Zero Mission.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I didn't mean remake, I meant rehash! WE ARE BACK ON ZEBES! And MOTHER BRAIN IS BACK AS WELL! DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUN!

• They're somethin' else.

Super Metroid is to Metroid what Desperado is to El Mariachi, essentially.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Fusion was less otherworldly than the others because it was set on a space station, not an alien planet.

The best thing about Fusion's atmosphere is the way your surroundings change as you progress through the game--lots of parts of the space station become more wrecked and chaotic.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

wat tha fack

• It's just a bit of 1% sequence breaking, I don't see what is so wat about it.

• edited 2012-05-05 21:25:30
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I like the comment I left on Youtube about that video.

"On this day, many, many event flags died horrible deaths."

That reminds me, the reason Fusion sucks for sequence breaking is because it doesn't just do event flags, it does an event counter.

Like, instead of, say, [I don't actually remember the sequence but bear with me for a moment]

beating Nettori -> angry message #5

it actually does

beating Nettori -> event counter +1

so basically, everything works out if you beat Nettori at the right time.  Say that right time is event number 30 (increments counter from 29 to 30).  What actually does angry message #5 is:

30. angry message #5

However, if you instead do it when you've only tripped 14 event flags, and let's say #15 is this:

15. red doors open

you get

beat Nettori -> event counter +1 -> red doors open

^ It's really "wat" because you get to see that there's actually a non-overgrown version of the reactor core silo room, AND because he completely breaks the game by escaping the Nettori core-X early and leaving the core-X music going for like forever AND he goes BACKWARDS IN TIME causing the ki-hunters to de-metamorphose from flies to larvae.

• edited 2012-05-05 21:58:55
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

LOL @ 3:46 of this video

• edited 2012-05-05 22:59:13
    The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

Now you know why Crocomire was guarding the grapple beam; it causes him great bodily malfunction.

• Definitely not gay.

> Doomsday

>Cool

>costanza.jpg

I never got why people dislike Doomsday. His character's two-dimensional, yes, but that's because it's supposed to be two-dimensional: Doomsday's entire character is "monster who is strong enough to kill Superman".

Just because it's intentional it doesn't mean he's good. That's exactly why he's so boring. He's only good in Death of Superman, and even then, creating a character specifically to kill Superman is an incredibly cheap trick. Luckily for Jurgens, he still managed to give a sense of urgency to that battle. It also helps that it's really pretty. But yeah, Superman's death is one of those badly written events that people exalt because of how crazy the concept is in and of itself. 

• Definitely not gay.

Looking back at my post it could easily be construed as an argument against Doomsday, on another note

I guess that's why you dislike venom.

For all of my dislike of Venom, he has had better output than Doomsday's got. Not like that's saying much.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Grumbles about how Juan should read the new volume of Venom, with Flash paired with the symbiote. He's a double amputee with PTSD and substance abuse problems, it's an evil alien goo! Together they go on super spy missions and ruin Flash's life.

• edited 2012-05-10 20:38:33
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Flash? I am confused.

EDIT: Silly me, Flash Thompson.

I was thinking about that, specifically, when I said that. I also like the fact that Flash is struggling against the symbiote and stuff. Then again, I only read the Spider Island stuff. 

now back to my comic books about men dressed as bats. those are totally more realistic.

I honestly have always liked the Venom character, both as a reflection of the comic books tendency of heroes making their own villains and as the concept of an evil, meaner and more menacing spider-man.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

To rerail:

IJBM: How people say that Metroid Prime isn't an FPS.

Well, normally when people say that, they mean that it isn't a shooter, and I kinda agree with that assesment.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Technically it is an FPS, but pretty much the only thing it has in common with most FPS's is the first person perspective.

and blah blah blah labels are stupid anyway blah blah blah
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^My question is how it isn't a shooter. You still shoot stuff, you shoot a lot of stuff.

Usually people site the exploration aspect as a factor, or general depth. If that was the case, though, then Deus Ex wouldn't be an FPS either.

You shoot stuff, but the depth of the system and the emphasis on exploration over combat puts it in a different category. It's kinda like calling GTA a third person shooter just because you shoot people. (a lot of people, even)

and blah blah blah labels are stupid anyway blah blah blah

er, yes and no. Labels help people who are not savvy to their console's catalogue to search and buy something they want. Of course, I can see how semantics are a bothersome discussion, but it matters, if only because someone who doesn't watch previews or whatever wouldn't know that Metroid doesn't play like Call of Duty and might end up being a disappointed buyer and return the product.

Mislabels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's kinda like calling GTA a third person shooter just because you shoot people. (a lot of people, even)

They aren not the same, the type of game engine is different. It's an engine where you can shoot, but not mde for exclusive shooting combat. Sandbox engine

The thing is, Metriod Prime is a first person shooter and an action adventure game. There should be no problems with accepting both facts, unless you are a butthurt piece of ass that cannot accept a metroid game is in the same category with call of duty, which is in the same category as bioshock, by the way.