If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

medieval IJBM can become a thing.

Hey, I'm the one sitting at my desk making chainmail. What are you helping with? :P

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Surreptitious sword training. :>

• So, nick, up for some online Brawl? I might invite my bro to it and I promise we won't double team you.

• No rainbow star

^^^ Guess I could make plate armour when I take up smithing

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

>dat feel when none of your skillsets would be useful in a medieval setting

>mfw i realized Alex actually made me care about that.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I know lots about monsters. Certainly that would help.

Honestly most of my mythology knowledge is by-product of comics and vidya making me more curious.

• edited 2012-05-02 00:03:27
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^Well, in fairness, I only picked up my first medieval skill yesterday.

Unless you count the bit of woodworking experience I have.

• No rainbow star

I know how to sew by hand, so that could count as a medieval skill?

• You can change. You can.

My only medievale skill is hating things.

Although I guess that is too universal.

Either way, Fire Emblem is good fun. I like how it actually makes you care about your units and characters, although I wish it gave them more characterization.

So I just played the Dragon's Dogma demo and... wow, that was pretty shit.

Comparing DMC 3 and this game, I'd like to point out that it significantly worse than DMC 3, and while I accept things like budget set-backs the developers should have chosen an aesthetic style within their capabilities.

The whole ally thing is a clusterfuck, not to mention there were points where I didn't do anything because I got lost in the cluttered and claustrophobic environments and they stole all my fun.

As for combat, to call it anything like even DMC 2 or DMC 4 which babied the combat due GoW's success  is a grave insult. The combat has no depth and is far too easy. The Chimera battle is terribly dull and is pretty much establishes the 'press x until bored then press y for a bit instead.' I finally figured out the dodge button but it turned to be absolutely worthless. 

Also, there's nothing interesting or unique established about the setting.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

I really like what I've seen of The Last Of Us, it's the first time I've been excited about an American game in a while. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a third person shooter.

I wonder if the only reason I like it is because I'm trying to justify getting a PS3 in one/two years and Tales of Graces f as a reason isn't cutting it.

I'm not bitter about Tales of Graces being PS3 exclusive, nosirree. >_>

I wasn't very impressed with the Chimera battle either, but the Griffon one got me to rethink it a bit. It might also be that the Fighter class is borked and the Strider is actually fun to play given the Fighter's lack of a proper dodge and therefore immediate, offensive mobility. The shitty abilities didn't help, either. But the Strider? Dancing around like a boss, sending hails of arrows into groups of enemies and flying sky high on the back of a bleeding Griffon, the fire enchantments on my weapons setting its wings alight and throwing up both into the ground at high speed. 

The biggest issue with the demo is that it only shows off the combat, when the game is advertised as being about surviving the world while trying to meet one's objectives. 

Replaying and finishing DMC3, I think modern action movies could learn a lot from the game.

Narratively the game is actually pretty consistent and it's got a whole bunch of great set pieces and fist-pumpingly awesome cutscenes (like when Dante and Vergil switch swords) and the emotional bits managed to ring true even in camp-gothic setting.

• But you never had any to begin with.
    "I'm not bitter about Tales of Graces being PS3 exclusive, nosirree."

It's not! ...If you're Japanese.

^ (mauls you viciously)

• edited 2012-05-02 06:00:50
    But you never had any to begin with.
    Hey, you have no right to do that. :<

How is every SMT game released after P4? I heard America actually got those, unlike us. >:<

Then move to a country that matters!

So a friend just lent me Gothic 4. I say "lend", but the game doesn't require a CD key or even a CD in the tray. A lovely sentiment and I'll be sure to buy the games at some point (especially given how cheap they are), but no doubt this made them chancy competition against contemporaries like Oblivion. Speaking of which, Gothic 4 looks much better than Oblivion while featuring an open world structure (via unlocking new areas with game progress, but allowing you to revisit previous areas at will), a two loading times in the entire game and much superior combat. In fact, it seems that Demon's Souls took some hints from this game; years before, Gothic 4 delivered a similar kind of experience. The basic idea is that LMB (left mouse button) is your offensive key, and timing your attacks well allows you to further your combos (a bit, in fact, like Monster Hunter, but less punishing). RMB (right mouse button) is your defensive key; it puts up your defense, and moving while your defense is up results in a dodge. Weapon timings and distances are very clear and precise, as are the attacks of your enemies. In short, it's simple, tight and polished. 

Right now, I'm still very early in the game, but it's been a promising experience despite the tedious tutorial. The core mechanics are just so tight and the game is so well presented that I can't really hold the tutorial against it. This game is a result of a smallish European studio at the end of the PC golden age and it shows in every facet so far. There's a real attention to detail and love of the craft in this game that makes it sort of endearing as well. While the kleptomaniac inventory style bugs me -- quest rewards are pitiful, but there's no encumbrance, so you can sell all the useless junk you could ever carry -- that's a minor quibble when compared to the successes of the general system.

In short, it's simply a joy to actually play. The fantasy world isn't that great but nor is it bad, and the story so far has been a standard artifact plot, but I suppose that's the thing about games. They can turn something that would be a literary or cinematic cliche into something enjoyable and memorable via direct mechanical interaction, and that's what Gothic has succeeded at so far. I'm not far enough into the game to give it a full recommendation yet, but conventional wisdom says that the early part of most games is where they're weakest -- especially RPGs. I'm looking forward to where this game's taking me. 

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Gothic 4 is generally considered a very weak game, and the fans of older Gothics see it as a disgrace to the series. I can't comment, though, since I haven't played anything after the second game.

• Likes cheesecake unironically.

Well, considering that Gothic 4 was not made by Piranha Bytes (who left the publisher after the buggy disaster that is Gothic 3 and went on to make Risen), I'm not surprised.

I heard that the community patches to Gothic 3 and its expansion (which are now released as an "Enhanced Edition") managed to turn it into a pretty good game. Not so much for the expansion, which also wasn't made by Piranha Bytes and is still quite bad, from what I heard. It adds some continuity to the story, though.

Really? I'm having a lot of fun with it. If nothing else, the general mechanical experience is something I find a lot more engaging than Oblivion (which I played to death at the time) because it actually encourages a very mobile style of combat. Instead of running up to adversaries and pretty much clicking myself to death, I have to consider distance, timing and mostly importantly placement. With such a versatile and responsive dodge function, it's a less linear experience. The fact that further attacks have to be timed for best mileage means that consideration is more important than pure damage output. 

Yep, the unique combat system is one of the hallmarks of the whole series. It's considered very controversial - some love it and some hate it. I find it really engaging, personally.

Oh, and the evil king that you're fighting against? That's you from the first three games.

• Definitely not gay.

Playan Portal 2.

Old Aperture levels are a bitch.

• To be or not to be? That is the question.

Starting a new character in Mount and Blade: Warband, and this time, I will mark my path as a person who does good at first... But then he ends up turning into a bandit later on... A good bandit, maybe?

Still, I'm naming him Milanor.

I might end up making a female character... I think one of her goals is to be a powerful princess.

• edited 2012-05-02 08:07:50
    Likes cheesecake unironically.

Mount and Blade sounds interesting, but for the later ones, Steam is necessary, so I can't play them. And if I play the first one and like it, I'll get frustrated about that.

Anyway, I bought the X Superbox and tried out Terran Conflict a bit. I didn't do too bad, I guess, but I really only fought some enemies, that were more interested in my allies (who also shot down most of said enemies) than me. And aside from the one I killed with homing missiles, I really only managed to hit them when there were really close to my ship. And then my superior said that he was impressed by how I did. Seriously?

Also, I decided to give Morrowind a try again. That's the third or fourth time I gave it another chance. Somehow, I really want to like it, I guess. Probably because of it's setting and it's RPG system (not so overly complex with lots of useless skills like Daggerfall, not so overly simplified like Oblivion and Skyrim). Maybe I should look for some gameplay-changing mods.

But knowing myself, I'll probably play mostly Minecraft, the few times I play any PC game. And that Sky Island thing looks interesting (although I probably fuck up immediatly, like I did in Sky Block).

Oh, and I also got Treasure Adventure Game (or was it Adventure Treasure Game?) from GOG. Fun little Metroidvania, but I certainly didn't expect racist worms. But everything's cool, because I have a sweet top hat.

Yep, the unique combat system is one of the hallmarks of the whole series. It's considered very controversial - some love it and some hate it. I find it really engaging, personally.

I hated it in the first game, but the second game had the option to use better controls. Still didn't hook me, but I actually consider getting it from GOG and trying it out again. I'd rather have the German version (since it's pretty much the "original version", but the copy of my father somehow doesn't work on my laptop).

Stalker, Morrowind, Gothic 2... Somehow, I feel like giving a lot of games another chance.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

@Last page: If an SMT game gets to america, it's easy to import and is localized, and I'm pretty sure none of the past P4 games had any region protection* on them.

* Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS) does, but you can just get the non-remake non-region protected DS version.

And yes, I know this means only limiting yourself to the region-free consoles every generation (Dang 3DS and it's newfangled 'region locking', I'd wish I'd gotten a Vita if not for KH3D).

• But you never had any to begin with.

Raidou Kuzunoha 2.

Also, things I am not made out of: Money.

• edited 2012-05-02 08:47:48
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Oh...

Well, I guess the only solution is to save money and get the one you really want eventually! (Yes, this is grandma-eque advice but it's the only kind I have left.)

So no NTSC PS2 huh? I feel your pain.